IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear bra question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 08:33 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear bra question

I've been reading about clear bras and have come down to narrow it down to one of two companies. 3M and Venture shield. Apparently, Venture shield is less diffused and shines better. It doesn't have a hard coat but could be waxed. The 3M stuff is more durable but shows more on non-metallic/pearl paint. Mine is black/obsidian and I'm wondering the route I should go with.

There are several companies offering the kits and I was debating about purchasing and installing it myself. I've installed tint and graphics before and I doubt that it would be much of a challenge this time. So pretty much materials are the only questionable expenses for someone in my shoes.

So which would you guys pick based on what you may have seen?
Also what would you guys cover up? Hood, mirrors, and fenders or include the bumper and lights too?
Old 12-03-07, 08:48 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carchitect
I've been reading about clear bras and have come down to narrow it down to one of two companies. 3M and Venture shield. Apparently, Venture shield is less diffused and shines better. It doesn't have a hard coat but could be waxed. The 3M stuff is more durable but shows more on non-metallic/pearl paint. Mine is black/obsidian and I'm wondering the route I should go with.

There are several companies offering the kits and I was debating about purchasing and installing it myself. I've installed tint and graphics before and I doubt that it would be much of a challenge this time. So pretty much materials are the only questionable expenses for someone in my shoes.

So which would you guys pick based on what you may have seen?
Also what would you guys cover up? Hood, mirrors, and fenders or include the bumper and lights too?
Not worth any if you going to DIY it.
It is 5x harder than window tinting in my opinion. So... if you are good at window tint, then I bet you wouldn't ask this question.

It is not about the material... most of the quality issues are from the installation.
Old 12-03-07, 09:12 PM
twitte
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Clear Bra

I've had both (3M on a Colbalt Blue Porsche and Venture Shield on a Breakwater Blue Lexus IS350) and both appear to be good quality. The 3M was fairly hard to see on the darker color car. The lighter the car then it might be easier to see. I just had the original Venture Shield material replaced under warranty because the material looked dull. They installed new material (for free) that looks much better and has a clear coat type shine. Both 3M and Venture Shield did not yellow and can be waxed. I'm not sure, but I think the 3M must be a harder or thicker material. I have a few rocks that have already penetrated the Venture Shield on the Lexus. For the Lexus, I had the front part of the hood, head lights and entire front covered along with the side mirrors. I also put a small piece on the back bumper to protect it from things being put into or pulled out of the trunk. On the Porsche I had basically the same but also had some strips on the edges of the doors and inside the fender wells (edges that are painted).
Old 12-03-07, 09:33 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Thanks for your input guys. I've been told about the Venture shield being weaker than the 3M stuff. I'm planning on doing the hood,mirrors, and fenders. I was looking into the headlight shield primarily to prevent the yellowing and oxidation that plastic headlights are so prone to after years of ownership. The supra's headlights have been buffed so many times and they seem to yellow and haze even faster now. So I replaced them with the euro glass ones and have been happy since. I was hoping the IS350 headlight lenses won't dull over time since successfully taking them apart and putting them back together is questionable on HID models.

Josephdoc, guys at work install this stuff all the time. I've helped them install this stuff a few times and it seems easier than the tint. Even they agree since tint doesn't stretch much. If it came down to it I suppose I could just have them throw on the 3M stuff. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-04-07, 05:50 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

VentureShield has a LIFETIME warranty.

http://www.automotivepaintprotection.com/

Koz
Old 12-04-07, 06:31 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My installer told me that 3M just came out with new film that is really clear with less orange peal. I don't know the details other than as of a few weeks ago he was waiting on it to come in.
Old 12-04-07, 07:04 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
VentureShield has a LIFETIME warranty.

http://www.automotivepaintprotection.com/

Koz

The -part- is covered for life. The labor, which makes up 90% of the cost of having it done, is not.
Old 12-04-07, 07:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The -part- is covered for life. The labor, which makes up 90% of the cost of having it done, is not.
Actually,the 3M or Ventureshield kit cost is about half of the install.About $350.That's installer install not dealer installed.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-04-07 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-04-07, 07:27 AM
Koz

Most Stealers have a outside installer do the install. They will try to have someone at the Stealership do the installs at first until the customers start complaining. It takes experience to do a good job, it is NOT easy!

From what I've seen and heard (from installers) VentureShield is the better product!

Koz
Old 12-04-07, 08:21 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect
I would recommend that you cover the front bumper absolutely. That is the area where a large majority of all rock chips occur. It would be pointless not to cover it.
I've got the 3M clear bra, and am very happy with it. I had it done at a professional shop that does only tinting, clear bra, and graphics. Don't go to the Lexus dealer to have it done (it sounds like you aren't, which is a good thing)!
Old 12-04-07, 10:12 AM
tmag
Pole Position

If you have the $$ over the whole car!!! LOL had my hood full bumper lights (both HID and fog), mirrors and some small square pieces on the handle cups (to protect from my girls and other peoples nails rings etc.) but wouldn't you know it got a rock chip just about 3 inches from where my hood coverage ends. Oh well, as for the look, I have the venture film on obsidian, yes you can see the seem up close. Just make sure you get rid of all the bubbles I "pops" on black cars. I had it professionally installed and still had a few.
Old 12-04-07, 10:22 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I just got 3M installed on my IS250 and since their film has a clearcoat on it, it doesn't stretch much compared to other clear bras so it is difficult to install. I am happy with 3M and have it on my GX470 and Viper as well. I cannot say much about Venture Shield since I have never seen it.
Old 12-04-07, 11:34 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My g/f just got the Venture stuff and it looks pretty good. Most of these things come in pre-cut kits from my understanding. The basic kit consisted of clear bra for the headlights, foglights, portion of the hood (we opted to pay extra for the whole hood), full front bumper, portion of the front fenders, and the mirrors.
Old 12-05-07, 09:12 AM
Koz

I had the whole front end done, head/fog lights, 24" up hood, around wheel wells, mirrors, door handle wells, rocker panels, around fuel door and the rear bumper.

Koz
Old 12-05-07, 09:33 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much does it cost to cover up the hood and the front bumper? (estimate)

Quick Reply: Clear bra question