IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Driving in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 06:47 PM
chadfetter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving in Snow....Weight in Trunk?

Ok, so today was the first real day driving in snow in my 350. I have some brand new Michelin Alpine snow tires on. We got about 4-5 inches of snow, and I was really surprised as to how 'slippery' the back end was. It didn't really seem like they had any traction at all. If this is with snow tires, I would hate to see how any of you are driving in snow with the OEM's.

Has anyone ever put any weight in their trunk to help gain some traction? Any other ideas?

Last edited by chadfetter; 12-05-07 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-04-07, 07:10 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

Yea I have to say I wasnt too impressed with the way it handled the snow but it has been 2 years since I drove in the snow. My Avon m500's didnt impress me at all but its better than driving with the summer tires. But I do like the snow button that help me keep from stepping on the gas to much.
Old 12-04-07, 08:43 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that! Especially since you invested in the tires, did you consider a 17in rim/tire package? That may help. Meanwhile I've not tried them, but if you must drive your car in the deep stuff you may consider something like these?

http://www.flextrax.com/index.php

Or these:

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/
Discussion here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=snow+tires
Old 12-05-07, 03:40 AM
chadfetter
Driver School Candidate

My thought is that if I maybe put some concrete blocks or something in the trunk to weight down the back end, it might help the tires get a little traction. I am curious if anyone else has tried anything like this?
Old 12-05-07, 04:21 AM
fritZman
Driver School Candidate

A couple of things.

We Canadians typically consider Bridgestone Blizzaks as the best winter tire you can get. Michelin Alpines are good - just not Blizzak good.

Also what width did you get the rear? Even though I have the Sport package with 255 rear, I went a little more narrow with a 245 for winter. Skinny is better for thick snow.

My Blizzak LM-25 are not too bad overall. Thick snow performance is not as good as previous RWD cars I've owned, but it's still acceptable. A 225 section rear tire in the rear would have helped that aspect. However, with my current setup, ice and light snow performance is probably the best I've ever had.

BTW, switching to a 17" package would only offer a slightly cheaper tire with more sidewall which equates to a less responsive feel.

It takes a bit of time to learn the traction/skid threshold (which is actually quite high), but once you do, you'll find it easier to zip around.

Last edited by fritZman; 12-05-07 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-05-07, 06:26 AM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

oh boy. im going to VA and NJ end of this month.. all the way from miami.. first time driving the IS in the snow... lol this is gonna be a heck of an experience.

anyone got some advice on do's.. i already know the donts.
Old 12-05-07, 06:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by djkhanvict
oh boy. im going to VA and NJ end of this month.. all the way from miami.. first time driving the IS in the snow... lol this is gonna be a heck of an experience.

anyone got some advice on do's.. i already know the donts.
First time driving in snow, with RWD and no snow tires? Advice--stay off the road if it snows...
Old 12-05-07, 06:41 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Do not worry about it....there is a far greater chance of a lack of snow in MD and NJ than there is of any amount of snow that will affect you.
Old 12-06-07, 12:18 AM
c5mtl
Rookie

I have nokia hakka 4 studded 225/40/18 all around with 50 pound sand bags per side in the truck....car is awesome.....i am located in montreal and let me tell you WE GOT SNOW!!!!nokians are in a league of thier own(and price)
Old 12-06-07, 12:21 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have yet to drive in snow this winter
Old 12-06-07, 04:44 AM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
First time driving in snow, with RWD and no snow tires? Advice--stay off the road if it snows...
lol.. first time driving my IS ..in the snow.. ive driven a GS430 and 528i in the snow.. both RWD.. in about 2 inches of snow.. but they had snow tires so it wasnt so bad.
Old 12-06-07, 04:46 AM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Do not worry about it....there is a far greater chance of a lack of snow in MD and NJ than there is of any amount of snow that will affect you.
Sweet! guess i'll be fine then... who knows the snow might even calm down by the time im there.. end of this month..
Old 12-06-07, 04:53 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is the only time im happy about getting the AWD.
Old 12-06-07, 05:10 AM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ReLexin
this is the only time im happy about getting the AWD.
hahaha and when they come out with a TT boost kit!
Old 12-06-07, 06:08 AM
Oakley IS
Driver

Originally Posted by c5mtl
I have nokia hakka 4 studded 225/40/18 all around with 50 pound sand bags per side in the truck....car is awesome.....i am located in montreal and let me tell you WE GOT SNOW!!!!nokians are in a league of thier own(and price)
def get the Nokian Hakka's!

studded or studless - these are awesome! they win every winter tire test here in Norway, and let me tell you - norwegians are serious about winter tires!

I swapped from a goodyear studless tire to the nokian hakkapellita studless on my 250 and it drives like a dream!

try get the 17 inches though, and no wider than 225.

Lars.

Quick Reply: Driving in Snow