IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Getting aftermarket gauges for Xmas...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-07, 10:53 AM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting aftermarket gauges for Xmas...need advice

I might be getting a set of either Defi, Greddy, Apexi, or plain autometer gauges for Xmas. I know some may think its rice and useless but I think they would look great as long as it done tastefully. Does anyone know where i can find a good 2 gauge pillar?

As far as gauges, what do you guys think?
I think i would look into these
Oil
A/F

how hard is the install? Has anyone done it before on this forum?
Old 12-05-07, 11:22 AM
inwood
Lead Lap

Someone correct me if im wrong, but i dont think there are any aftermarket pillar pods for the 2is.
Old 12-05-07, 11:24 AM
inwood
Lead Lap

Oh yea as for installation, its pretty easy. Search some honda forums for a general understanding of how to install them.
Old 12-05-07, 11:30 AM
Vannak
Driver School Candidate

gauges is unnecessary, its what them honda/acura guys are doing.
Old 12-05-07, 11:31 AM
blake0387
Driver

I have to say that I think this is a pointless mod. No offense to the original poster but the OE gauges on our cars are incredibly nice to begin with. Also whats the point of an A/F gauge? Unless you've done some serious modifications (i.e. turbocharging/supercharging or an ECU mod of some kind) then there is no need to have that information displayed for you.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-05-07, 11:46 AM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

I agree with your opinion that they are useless expecially with literally zero mod done to the engine itself. The point of getting these is purely aesthetic..i repeat aesthetic. =)
Old 12-05-07, 11:55 AM
blake0387
Driver

Well it's your car, so whatever makes you happy is what matters. So more power to you if you choose to go through with it.

I'm still not sure how much luck you're going to have finding a pillar insert for your gauges. I believe that one has yet to be produced for our cars.
Old 12-05-07, 12:00 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it will ruin the look of the cars interior.
Old 12-05-07, 12:07 PM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ReLexin
it will ruin the look of the cars interior.
I think so...thats what i was afraid of.
Old 12-05-07, 12:17 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I do wish it came from the factory with volt and oil pressure gauges... IIRC the IS-F has them in the center area of the dash (possibly switchable between the two, pics I saw weren't too clear).... I agree aftermarket pillar gauges look like rice though, especially on a stock car.
Old 12-05-07, 12:24 PM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by inwood
Someone correct me if im wrong, but i dont think there are any aftermarket pillar pods for the 2is.
I believe the reason why there are no pillar pods for the 2IS is because the airbag is there. I mean you would not want those gauges shooting towards you when your airbag deploys.
Old 12-05-07, 12:42 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

an A/F would require installing an o2 bung somewhere in the exhaust stream to get accurate readings- there are those that tap into existing o2 sensors, but not as accurate.
stear clear of autometer, cheesy looking cheap crap.
Defi, Omori, Greddy, Apexi, are all good quality guages and are top notch in asthetics. They are all pricey- I had nearly $1000 in guages and guage pod in my Subaru. Looked cool, but honestly, I didn't really need them but it was nice to be able to see at a glance boost, exhaust temp and oil pressure levels.
I would do 2 40mm guages on top of the steering column, small enough to not obstruct the view of the guage cluster. But, really, what guages do you need?? Volt meter and ??????
Old 12-05-07, 02:00 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blake0387
I have to say that I think this is a pointless mod. No offense to the original poster but the OE gauges on our cars are incredibly nice to begin with. Also whats the point of an A/F gauge? Unless you've done some serious modifications (i.e. turbocharging/supercharging or an ECU mod of some kind) then there is no need to have that information displayed for you.

Just my 2 cents.
How are gauges pointless? The provide vital information for your motor. On top of it if you have really nice gauges like the ones listed it would look so nice if they're custom. No pillar stuff just custom one off type deal.

Originally Posted by Vannak
gauges is unnecessary
How is that if you're boost? Would gauges still be unnecessary? I dont think so...

Anyways I say make sure the gauges match the OEM ones and you will be fine, me personally I like the DEFI ones but I think they only come in red and the Greddy Im not sure.
Old 12-05-07, 07:33 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If done right, I think the guages would look okay. I would be a little hesitant about killing one of my airbags though.
Old 12-17-07, 02:18 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Yea the curtain airbags are there for a reason. I bet you would be pissed if you cracked ur skull on the window just to see ur A/F ratio on a non-boosted car. haha. Just my opinion though, I'd leave the airbag. Plus, I dont know a shop who would want to mess with taken an airbag out. Not too mention the backlash and negative effects it could have on your Pre-collision system if you have one, or your airbag system in general. everything on our cars are so wired and redundant, anything removed might mess something up.

Quick Reply: Getting aftermarket gauges for Xmas...need advice