IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Torn between two (Deals)erships

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 09:17 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Torn between two (Deals)erships

I live in a small city with one Lexus dealership. Relatively new and modern looking. Began a search for my next car (08 IS 350) at this dealer a couple months ago and a particular salesperson has taken the time to meet with me on several occasions to discuss my wants/dislikes. Their IS inventory is scant (no 350s with none in the pipes) and my wish list is somewhat specific so anything to be purchased sooner than later would require a "special order". All good and well-- they would discount the special order $1250 off MSRP, which could be better but seems acceptable.

I've always felt it important to price shop, but the nearest other Lexus dealership is 105 miles north in a major metropolitan area. These folks, however, have been equally attentive by phone and email and are willing to special order my vehicle of choice and cut $1750 off MSRP.

The kicker lies in the local dealership's service policy: Loaner cars will only be provided to clients who have bought a Lexus from them . My friend moved to town from Florida (he's a surgeon) and was denied a loaner when he took his GS in for service because the car was purchased "out of town". Pretty harsh and not very customer-centric if you ask me... He *****ed up a storm with the owner who, in the mother of all ironies, was a patient of his the following week. He was assured they would "work with him" in the future.

Now, 500 dollars you say? Not a big deal. Buy locally, establish goodwill, support the local economy and benefit from the service perks. Simple.

So I'm idling (mentally) the other day when I get a call from the big city car guys: "We found the exact auto you had built for your special order! It was on the boat during our discussions and was somehow missed during our query. It's portside and we expect it on dealer grounds in 5-10 days. One small difference, this one has NAV (which you hadn't requested), but we'll price this car in a way that the NAV is essentially thrown in to the deal. We'd obviousl like to move this car by end of year so we'll do all we can to make it worth your while..."

Now what do I do? A car built to my exact specs (with NAV apparently a price-neutral add on) and a dealership anxious to move inventory. Maybe a deal too good to turn down, but I worry about being blackballed by the locals (seems like a tight knit little sales community) and getting the runaround when it comes to service. A loaner is nice thing to rely on with my hectic schedule. Maybe I should run my concern by Lexus of America? Anyone else with input?
Old 12-06-07, 09:50 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't make a science project out of it ..... it is just a car. You can live without a loaner, which is what the world did before the loaner idea got started. If you buy long distance the local dealer still has to service your car (in and out of warranty), that is part of their franchise agreement. This is a business transaction, not a marriage. If the distant dealer has what you want at a price you are happy with, then buy it. Simple in my mind.
Old 12-06-07, 10:02 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with Evitzee. Buy the car with the Nav (you'll love it I might add) and let the chips lie where they fall. Loaner? Forget about it. Don't need it. You'll love the car with the Nav much more than one without it but a loaner.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 12-06-07, 11:53 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol i bought my car 40 miles away from my house...and i took it to the local dealer to get my 5k oil change no problem..but no loaners for oil changes.. get the nav...trust me its worth it...barley use the nav but everything else like voice activation of radio and cd ect.... plus you get kool commands like "im hungry" and it will list all restaurants in your area..
Old 12-07-07, 03:46 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

navi!!!! i regret not getting it. so get it haha loaner, why would you need a loaner on a new car? at least not for the first year or two. if i had a choice to rebuy i would get the navi. but my garmin is just just not intergrated like i would like!
Old 12-07-07, 04:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus69
I live in a small city with one Lexus dealership. Relatively new and modern looking. Began a search for my next car (08 IS 350) at this dealer a couple months ago and a particular salesperson has taken the time to meet with me on several occasions to discuss my wants/dislikes. Their IS inventory is scant (no 350s with none in the pipes) and my wish list is somewhat specific so anything to be purchased sooner than later would require a "special order". All good and well-- they would discount the special order $1250 off MSRP, which could be better but seems acceptable.

I've always felt it important to price shop, but the nearest other Lexus dealership is 105 miles north in a major metropolitan area. These folks, however, have been equally attentive by phone and email and are willing to special order my vehicle of choice and cut $1750 off MSRP.

The kicker lies in the local dealership's service policy: Loaner cars will only be provided to clients who have bought a Lexus from them . My friend moved to town from Florida (he's a surgeon) and was denied a loaner when he took his GS in for service because the car was purchased "out of town". Pretty harsh and not very customer-centric if you ask me... He *****ed up a storm with the owner who, in the mother of all ironies, was a patient of his the following week. He was assured they would "work with him" in the future.

Now, 500 dollars you say? Not a big deal. Buy locally, establish goodwill, support the local economy and benefit from the service perks. Simple.

So I'm idling (mentally) the other day when I get a call from the big city car guys: "We found the exact auto you had built for your special order! It was on the boat during our discussions and was somehow missed during our query. It's portside and we expect it on dealer grounds in 5-10 days. One small difference, this one has NAV (which you hadn't requested), but we'll price this car in a way that the NAV is essentially thrown in to the deal. We'd obviousl like to move this car by end of year so we'll do all we can to make it worth your while..."

Now what do I do? A car built to my exact specs (with NAV apparently a price-neutral add on) and a dealership anxious to move inventory. Maybe a deal too good to turn down, but I worry about being blackballed by the locals (seems like a tight knit little sales community) and getting the runaround when it comes to service. A loaner is nice thing to rely on with my hectic schedule. Maybe I should run my concern by Lexus of America? Anyone else with input?
If they are "throwing in" nav, you are now getting $3000 off. How is lack of a loaner worth that? Not to mention that you may be able to cajole your local dealer to end up giving you a loaner (at least maybe for services that are longer than, say, a routine oil change). If the dealer's new, I bet the waiting area's pretty cushy, with coffee, soda, snacks, wi-fi, etc.

Did you ask the big city dealer if they'd drop off/pick up a loaner for service? A couple local Lexus dealers in the Philly area will pickup/drop off within a 2 hour drive.
Old 12-07-07, 05:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

youll get a better deal on a car that does exist rather than a special order minus the up to 4 month wait. Id do it
Old 12-07-07, 06:19 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 303 Likes on 264 Posts

Heck, forget your local dealer - they're clearly not very hungry for your business!
Old 12-07-07, 06:43 AM
cmdace18
Driver

first of all, 1750 off msrp is NOTHING.

you need to go to dealerships and say this:

Listen it doesn't matter where I get this car. I can get it in Illinois, PA, Ohio, wherever. Its the exact same car. Same warrenties, same options, same colors. What matters to me is the price. I am going to get the car from the dealer with the best price. It's that simple.

Your local dealer has you by the *****. THey are smart people. They know youre from town, and that the next nearest dealership is far away. They will use that against you. It's all a game.

Tell them that youve driven all over the state. Tell them you found the exact same car in Illinois at a dealership for $4100k off MSRP. You want them to BEAT it. You prefer to get the car in town. But if hey cannot beat that price, you will go elsewhere.

Youre looking for the best deal, and whether you get it from them or somewherse else, makes no difference.

You should be able to find a deal with a MINIMUM of 3-4k off msrp. Minimum. Goodluck.

****by the way, they aren't "throwing in nav". they would make so much damn money off you for only 1700k off msrp that they'd laugh you to the bank. seriously. if you had such a great deal, do you think a dealer would throw in 2-3,000 of electronics? think of it that way.******
Old 12-07-07, 06:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cmdace18
first of all, 1750 off msrp is NOTHING.

you need to go to dealerships and say this:

Listen it doesn't matter where I get this car. I can get it in Illinois, PA, Ohio, wherever. Its the exact same car. Same warrenties, same options, same colors. What matters to me is the price. I am going to get the car from the dealer with the best price. It's that simple.

Your local dealer has you by the *****. THey are smart people. They know youre from town, and that the next nearest dealership is far away. They will use that against you. It's all a game.

Tell them that youve driven all over the state. Tell them you found the exact same car in Illinois at a dealership for $4100k off MSRP. You want them to BEAT it. You prefer to get the car in town. But if hey cannot beat that price, you will go elsewhere.

Youre looking for the best deal, and whether you get it from them or somewherse else, makes no difference.

You should be able to find a deal with a MINIMUM of 3-4k off msrp. Minimum. Goodluck.

****by the way, they aren't "throwing in nav". they would make so much damn money off you for only 1700k off msrp that they'd laugh you to the bank. seriously. if you had such a great deal, do you think a dealer would throw in 2-3,000 of electronics? think of it that way.******
There's a thread with a poll--Discount off MSRP. The majority of people have responded $4000+. It's not scientific, and discounts vary by area, but cmdace18 is 100% right.
Old 12-07-07, 06:55 AM
cmdace18
Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
There's a thread with a poll--Discount off MSRP. The majority of people have responded $4000+. It's not scientific, and discounts vary by area, but cmdace18 is 100% right.

I got roughly $6,000 off msrp. The only way this was possible was to pin two dealerships off one another.

The best advice I can give someone is that the dealerships are smarter than they act. Listen, they are out to get your money. They want to get the most profit on a car. No dealership will sell a call and lose money. Even if its 6k off MSRP, they are making a crap load of money. Trust me. With all the kickbacks, and fees, you can't feel bad.

Your experience has to be emotionless. You work hard for your money (I assume) and you want to protect that. Play each dealership off one another. If they want to move a car, they'll work with you. If they don't want to work with you, why would you want to give them business?
Old 12-07-07, 06:57 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have never regretted not getting NAV. Only thing i would use it for is to watch movies and you need the ML NAV to do that its an extra 4K from the regular stock system. Go to where ever you can get the car quicker.
Old 12-07-07, 07:05 AM
cmdace18
Driver

Originally Posted by ReLexin
i have never regretted not getting NAV. Only thing i would use it for is to watch movies and you need the ML NAV to do that its an extra 4K from the regular stock system. Go to where ever you can get the car quicker.

hey, i'm not here to bust anyone's chops or be negative, but that advice is terrible.

go to anywhere were you can get the car quicker? seriously? if he can wait 1 month or 3 months and save $3,000, why not?

a car is the second biggest purchase of someone's life - only to a home. you should treat it that way with research and understand that financially, its a huge impact. don't rush.

if he needs a car because he is walking to work, and wants a lexus, and has tons of money to spend, doesn't care about saving, then i guess its somewhat justifiable.

do NOT settle.

get what you want, for the price you want - even if you have to wait.
Old 12-07-07, 07:27 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got 4000 off msrp... I bought mine an 07 at the end of 06 42000 out the door including tax...

I have nav luxury package with rear window power shade, illuminated door pillars, basically everything but that cruise control thing and ML.

I think you could get a better deal... And your local dealer has a crappy loaner program... I went to another dealership from the one I bought my car from and they gave me a loaner without a problem... Call corporate about that...
Old 12-07-07, 07:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the closer dealer might not be able to do anything if they cant provide the same vehicle the further away dealer is offering. If what the far away dealer is saying and they can give you nav + the stuff you wanted already for little difference in price of your special order quote that obviously is just a better deal, a no brainer I wish I got a near free Nav. Just remember youll always get a much better deal on a car that already exists either in transit or sitting on the lot compared to a special order which is a car that doesnt exist yet

For example my spec IS is a rare option combination in this region which 5+ dealers indicated I would haev to special order, but I got lucky and found the exact spec vehicle I wanted which was sitting on a dealer lot about 50 miles away. Called the internet manager and asked the price, they gave me 3500 off MSRP just for asking the price with no haggling, went down there and bought it, avoided a special order that wouldve resulted in no discount and a 3-4 month wait

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 12-07-07 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Torn between two (Deals)erships