IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Luxury Package IS 350 + sport suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-07, 10:53 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Luxury Package IS 350 + sport suspension

It seems getting a sport package there will be a long wait (2.5-5 months). Assuming that I get the 2008 Lexus IS350 with the Luxury Package + 18" rims and after I decide to try to change the suspension to be more sporty. How time/cost/effort to lower the suspension, get a new springs and install the springs? Also how does it feels compare to the default sport package with default springs.

Thanks
Old 12-08-07, 11:51 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven the soft and x-pack/sport pack suspension and can tell a noticable difference but only after driving one after the other (both w/18" wheels). The sport feels a lot flatter in the curves. The sport is only available in the 350 so it makes it that much more sought after + it is a special order 99% of the time. I've ordered mine on the first monday of Spetember and it is comming in before X-mas. I've already got confirmation from my new car manager. It will be over 3.5 months to get it from the time it was special ordered. The sport pack has different rack and pinion, front knuckles and springs and shocks. The NCF or RM has the design specs and the king pin angle and steering ratios are different on the sport and soft suspension. So while switching to the sport suspension could make most of the difference in the lux pack, there are more differences there.

You could order a sport pack with bird's eye maple option and install the illuminated door sills if you prefer. The only options you can't get that is part of the lux pack is the rear power sun shade.
Old 12-08-07, 01:51 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect
You could order a sport pack with bird's eye maple option and install the illuminated door sills if you prefer. The only options you can't get that is part of the lux pack is the rear power sun shade.
RE: adding the maple trim ......No can do. Sports Package comes with metallic silver trim. There is no option to add the maple trim to this.

I've driven the Sports Package and regular package back to back ..... there is a perceptible difference in turn in sensitivity with the tighter suspension, and it does feel flatter in corners.

Many of the guys here like to fiddle with the cars by adding springs and other aftermarket items, but I just don't feel the need to crawl around doing this work. Which is one reason I got the Sport Package ..... I'm happy with the setup right from the factory with no issues to deal with by using aftermarket parts.

Last edited by Evitzee; 12-08-07 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-08-07, 04:58 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
RE: adding the maple trim ......No can do. Sports Package comes with metallic silver trim. There is no option to add the maple trim to this.

I've driven the Sports Package and regular package back to back ..... there is a perceptible difference in turn in sensitivity with the tighter suspension, and it does feel flatter in corners.

Many of the guys here like to fiddle with the cars by adding springs and other aftermarket items, but I just don't feel the need to crawl around doing this work. Which is one reason I got the Sport Package ..... I'm happy with the setup right from the factory with no issues to deal with by using aftermarket parts.
You're right on that one. I thought you could get that as an available option as an add on premium pack but you can't since the sport already comes with the pref. leather and vent and heated seats. You could purchase the premium pack on the X-pack so if you must have that wood look you could opt for the above combo.

Yeah, I too believe the factory has setup the sport pack to ride and grip better than the a/m suspensions. My only a/m option would be the HKS hypermax or HKS Kansai coilovers. Besides, I'm confident the OEM suspension would last me a minium 100k miles unlike the a/m suspension bits.

-Joe