IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auto climate feature turns on A/C in winter..

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 12:08 PM
jejagua
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Has anyone considered looking at the manual? It's probably very clearly documented what the A/C button light really means.
The specific topics we are discussing here are not documented in the manual. Some of us have read the manuals cover to cover.
Old 12-13-07, 02:57 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iskcon
Yeah but honestly it only works great sometimes. Most of the time even when the car warms up the fan speed stays in between low to medium or just medium and here in NJ it gets very cold (especially today with all the snow/sleet). Also, the computer doesn't really a good job directing the flow of air as it mostly goes pointing the legs.
Interesting, anytime I have my heat at 81 or higher its always on medium to high fan speed.

I believe the reason that the air flow goes to your legs is because of the simple fact that heat rises. (When you have the flow control set to "leg" mode the side vents by each front window blow air as well, my old Honda used to do this too)
Old 12-13-07, 03:51 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buds
I believe the reason that the air flow goes to your legs is because of the simple fact that heat rises.
I think it has more to do with the fact that feet get cold easy, and because hot air in the eyes doesn't feel good.
Old 12-13-07, 04:13 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

I think it has more to do with the fact that feet get cold easy, and because hot air in the eyes doesn't feel good.
LoL.

Interestingly, I noticed that even when the climate control is set to point to feet, I still get a draft from the forward vents and the defroster vents. Granted, it's not as powerful as when the climate control is set to forward... but shouldn't the seals be better to not let any air through?
Old 12-13-07, 04:59 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikeho
LoL.

Interestingly, I noticed that even when the climate control is set to point to feet, I still get a draft from the forward vents and the defroster vents. Granted, it's not as powerful as when the climate control is set to forward... but shouldn't the seals be better to not let any air through?
If the seals were better, then they might be more likely to make noise or stick.
Old 12-13-07, 07:14 PM
SpaceCadet
Driver

My test results were....

- temp set at 76
- press Auto, the A/C turns on and the mode defaults to Foot only
- if I change fan speed, the Auto turns off
- if I change the mode, the Auto turns off
- the only thing I can do to NOT turn off the Auto is change temp, which as a result, changes the fan speed

During the summer, I've used the Auto set at 72 and it blows cold air. I tested it today at same temp and it blows warm air. Is the system using the outside temp to detemine hot or cold air?

Last edited by SpaceCadet; 12-14-07 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-13-07, 07:22 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
Is the system using the outside temp to detemine hot or cold air?

No, it's using the inside temp. If the cabin temperature is higher than what you have set, it blows cold air; if the cabin temperature is colder than what you have set, it blows warm.

If you leave the A/C on in cold weather, the air first passes through the A/C evaporator core where it is dehumidified, and then through the heater core where it is warmed.
Old 12-14-07, 08:52 AM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iskcon
Yeah but honestly it only works great sometimes. Most of the time even when the car warms up the fan speed stays in between low to medium or just medium and here in NJ it gets very cold (especially today with all the snow/sleet). Also, the computer doesn't really a good job directing the flow of air as it mostly goes pointing the legs.
my expeerience in CT is that too much warm air flows to the upper vents. i like the heat on with air only to the foot vents, and none to the top. i usually have a face full of warm air and a freezing cold left foot
Old 12-14-07, 08:54 AM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

LoL.

per the manual, when set to foot flow some air is also directed to the to upper vents
Old 12-14-07, 10:43 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use the seat warmer instead of heater...=) be a man drive naked..
Old 12-14-07, 10:54 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
My test results were....

- temp set at 76
- press Auto, the A/C turns on and the mode defaults to Foot only
- if I change fan speed, the Auto turns off
- if I change the mode, the Auto turns off
- the only thing I can do to NOT turn off the Auto is change temp, which as a result, changes the fan speed

During the summer, I've used the Auto set at 72 and it blows cold air. I tested it today at same temp and it blows warm air. Is the system using the outside temp to detemine hot or cold air?
You can also turn off the AC, and the Auto light won't turn off.
Old 12-14-07, 07:49 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is an example of the climate control being in full auto (both auto temp and auto air source) and the AC light being off. Like it was previously mentioned this is because the outside air temp is below freezing point.
Old 12-14-07, 10:31 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

If the seals were better, then they might be more likely to make noise or stick.
lol, that's funny... So the car company that is touted for its build quality cannot figure out how to make good seals that won't get stuck? That's a bit of a stretch.

That said, I havne't noticed any issues with my seals.
Old 12-16-07, 06:36 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Never had a problem with seals sticking. System works as designed for me. AS for Lexus quality.........it's a given.
J.D.Powers just released their latest loyalty poll and Toyota/Lexus leads the pack with 65 percent of owners replacing their Lexus with another. The leading German brand was BMW with 58 percent. GM was lowest with only 28percent buying another GM product. No surprise there, huh?
Old 12-16-07, 07:16 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

No... every time you press the Auto button the A/C comes on automatically, no matter what the temperature. I don't know why... it's crazy! I think it's something about Japanese cars, cuz all do them (Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas). Only the Germans figured out that maybe Auto doesn't mean A/C. Then again, most German cars don't have an A/C button simply because setting the temperature determines whether the A/C goes on or not. I mean... seriously, who gets into a 105 degree (F) car, turn it on and NOT want the A/C to go on when the thermostat is set to 72? Really???
The AC cycles to keep the compressor lubed and to control cabin humidity.

Quick Reply: Auto climate feature turns on A/C in winter..