IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auto climate feature turns on A/C in winter..

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 10:03 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
Just because the A/C button is illuminated does NOT mean that the compressor is engaged. It simply means that the compressor is not disabled.
REALLY? That's good to know. I had always hit auto and then turned off A/C when I didn't need it to keep the windows from fogging, figure I'll get better gas mileage without the AC on or even as you said, in stand-by mode.

Another HVAC item, as many of you know you can have the LPS (Lexus Preferred Settings) changed to stay on fresh air, instead of the default mode that always brings in recycled air, right?
Old 12-17-07, 01:59 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My default mode isn't set to recycled air. It will chose one or the other depending on the ambient temp and the temp I set.
Old 12-18-07, 01:25 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
lol, that's funny... So the car company that is touted for its build quality cannot figure out how to make good seals that won't get stuck? That's a bit of a stretch.

That said, I havne't noticed any issues with my seals.
What's funny about it? Lexus did design the system to never completely seal any vents closed. Why would you think that would be? FWIW, I could usually hear the vents open / close in my previous cars, but I can't in my IS.
Old 12-18-07, 06:09 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I think it's funny because it sounds like you're making up reasons why things are the way they are and coming up with funny reasons as to why they can't get any better. My IS is quieter AND has better seals than my last car, so where does that leave us? Has Lexus found the perfect equilibrium with the HVAC seals that it would be physically impossible to make them better without a negative side-effect? I hardly think so.
Old 12-18-07, 06:45 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's funny because it sounds like you're making up reasons why things are the way they are and coming up with funny reasons as to why they can't get any better. My IS is quieter AND has better seals than my last car, so where does that leave us? Has Lexus found the perfect equilibrium with the HVAC seals that it would be physically impossible to make them better without a negative side-effect? I hardly think so.
The answer is really simple: Because that's how they chose to design the system. If you look at your manual, the graphic showing airflow shows large arrows coming from the vents set for primary air flow, and smaller arrows on the other vents. In other words, they intentionally designed the system to allow a small amount of airflow through all vents at all times, with most of the air directed to the selected area (dash vents, floor, whatever).

I'm not an HVAC expert, but I doubt any of this has much to do with the quality of the seals in the system. I could, however, understand if the way the system operates has something to do with its service life and/or reliability.
Old 12-18-07, 07:15 PM
Camski
Driver School Candidate

As has been said, to dehumidify etc.

But have you also thought about what happens when you blow warm air at the upper vents?
I know what happens to me, i get tired, the warm air relaxes you, it's a known fact that's used in offices where they keep the air-con on below a certain temperature which keeps people awake and more alert.

I remember this issue in my previous 318i, most of the time i'd manually adjust for the system to just blow warm air out in the footwell but you'd find that a) it gets warm a bit too fast (although i've never had to experience snow etc. that some of you get) and b) air gets rather thick, and when the air is thick & warm - *snore*
Old 12-18-07, 07:39 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 15951
The answer is really simple: Because that's how they chose to design the system. If you look at your manual, the graphic showing airflow shows large arrows coming from the vents set for primary air flow, and smaller arrows on the other vents. In other words, they intentionally designed the system to allow a small amount of airflow through all vents at all times, with most of the air directed to the selected area (dash vents, floor, whatever).

I'm not an HVAC expert, but I doubt any of this has much to do with the quality of the seals in the system. I could, however, understand if the way the system operates has something to do with its service life and/or reliability.
That's fine and dandy, I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that to simply come to the conclusion that the reason for that design is because if it were any better it would make noise or get stuck is amusing to me. While I'm sure there is a good reason for it, and while that reason may infact be so that the vents don't get stuck, I'm pretty sure that with todays technology, and Toyota's resources, they could have overcome that obsticle if they wanted to, and if indeed that is even the reason they don't close all the way.
Old 12-18-07, 07:42 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That's fine and dandy, I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that to simply come to the conclusion that the reason for that design is because if it were any better it would make noise or get stuck is amusing to me. While I'm sure there is a good reason for it, and while that reason may infact be so that the vents don't get stuck, I'm pretty sure that with todays technology, and Toyota's resources, they could have overcome that obsticle if they wanted to, and if indeed that is even the reason they don't close all the way.
I think you're confusing me with another poster - I never made that statement. I was just continuing the conversation.
Old 12-18-07, 07:45 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I know who you are, i'm simply repling to you becuase you quoted me
Old 12-19-07, 06:20 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I'm saying that to simply come to the conclusion that the reason for that design is because if it were any better it would make noise or get stuck is amusing to me.
It wouldn't be so amusing if you would actually read what I said. Do you notice the word "might" in there? Does that sound like a conclusion? I think it sounds like I'm suggesting a possibility.

I have no idea why they designed it the way they did, but I know that they didn't design it to seal up completely, and I'm sure there is a reason for it. My reasoning behind saying that it might be to prevent them from being noisy or getting stuck is simply a guess.
Old 12-19-07, 09:26 AM
canadaIS
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have this problem: I live in a cold climate (Ottawa) and find that the dehumidifying aspect of the A/C does not work very well. On a cold day (minus 10 celsius), when I enter my condo's underground parking garage, all of the windows immediately fog up--and I can't see a thing! I have the system set to "auto" all of the time, and sometimes the A/C light is on and sometimes off. But, it doesn't do anything to reduce the fog. To get rid of the fog, I have to manually turn on the front defroster button, which works well. However, shouldn't the system automatically adjust?
Thanks!
Old 12-19-07, 09:38 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

^^ I haven't heard of a system that will automatically turn on the defrost. Honestly, I'm glad it doesn't.
Old 12-19-07, 10:24 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by canadaIS
Anyone have this problem: I live in a cold climate (Ottawa) and find that the dehumidifying aspect of the A/C does not work very well. On a cold day (minus 10 celsius), when I enter my condo's underground parking garage, all of the windows immediately fog up--and I can't see a thing! I have the system set to "auto" all of the time, and sometimes the A/C light is on and sometimes off. But, it doesn't do anything to reduce the fog. To get rid of the fog, I have to manually turn on the front defroster button, which works well. However, shouldn't the system automatically adjust?
Thanks!
Do you have both the A/C and flow switches (two green lights ON set to pass through) in Auto?
Old 12-19-07, 11:43 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by canadaIS
Thanks!
you need to push the front defrost button! that's why they made it seperate; it allows for more airflow right where it should be for maximum defog. once it's defogged, just hit hte auto button to get back to normal air dist.
Old 12-19-07, 01:12 PM
canadaIS
Driver School Candidate

clubfoot: yes, both green lights are always on.
19psi: Yes, when this happens, I hit the front defrost button, which works well. Guess I was expecting the system to automatically do this for me. After all, the system is set on "auto", so shouldn't it adjust to the changing conditions? Perhaps I am expecting too much
And, I have owned 4 other Lexus's, and I don't recall the fogging up problem to the same extent.

Quick Reply: Auto climate feature turns on A/C in winter..