Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 11:21 AM
Heat00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, thinking of 08 IS 350

Hi all,
I'm new here, looks like a great forum.

I am thinking of picking up a 08 IS350 with Nav and the sport? (18") rims.

a few questions:

1. whats a good price, roughly for the 350 with Nav and sport rims? Appears to be MSRP of about $42,400.

2. anything special I need to know before buying this car? ie options, something not to get etc.

is the back seat really that bad?
I also read something about the HID's not really being HID??

Is driving the car comfortable?

I got rid of my G35S becuase it was not comfy on any drives longer than 10 minutes lol.
was fast and handled nicely.

going to give my MDX to a family member and the wife is keeping the RX330.

I was seriously considering a 335I.....but..... first of all it seems to be a lot more expensive, seems like a lot of people have problems (don't care about free maintenance etc as time is worth more than that), and the interior is very ugly and plain.

the only other option imo is the IS350. had a TL and FWD stinks.

any thoughts and/or sugesstions are appreciated and I hope to be part of the family soon.

Regards,
Heat
Old 12-17-07, 11:25 AM
Heat00
Driver School Candidate

also seems like exhaust is a nice mod. I see lexus offers what I think is the HKS system from the dealer but they charge $2000?? is that right?

Is exhaust a must have for the 350 and which one sounds good, not too loud but doesn't break the bank?

Yes, I'm sure there are threads here on it and will use the search later, just wanted some quick thoughts on this from you.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-07, 11:38 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

welcome to CL!

go test drive and see how it is.....

I am sure 350 wont disappoint you......
Old 12-17-07, 11:45 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

1. Depends on the dealer, but check https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=official+MSRP

2. Most people will tell you that the premium sound (ML) is a necessity, though I do fine without it.

A piece of advice: Buying a car because it's the 'only other option' will usually mean you wind up with a car you don't like that much. Just keep it in mind when test driving this and others in the same category.
Old 12-17-07, 12:29 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think a discount of around 4k-5k is possible, depending on the dealer/salesman. I got 5k off MRSP when I bought mine. To answer some of your other questions......

*Get the ML stereo if you can, it is awesome.
*the back seat area is small, but I can fit back there comfortably (5'8" and 185lbs)
*There are 2 versions of headlights, one is true HID, the other Halogen.
*The car is very comfortable to drive!! That's why I bought it.

When I was looking at which car to buy, I looked at the G35S. It was nice, but the seats were very uncomfortable to me. In the same day, I drove the G35S and the IS350, and the IS was exactly what I wanted - comfort, power, refinement, and great styling. Go test drive one, you'll understand what I'm talking about.
Old 12-17-07, 12:52 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would advise you to stay away from giving Lexus extra money for rims... you'll just end up changing them anyways
Old 12-17-07, 12:55 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

yea.. and dont give them extra money for that super-expensive exhaust.. just get the tanabe for half the price if you like the optional lexus exhaust
Old 12-17-07, 01:05 PM
Heat00
Driver School Candidate

great, thanks for all the comments. I didn't mean extra for other rims, I thought there was a sport package or something that gave it 18" instead of 17".

I will go drive it soon.

The G drove great but you are right, it was NOT comfortable on long drives. hopefully the IS will be better
Old 12-17-07, 03:12 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

the IS350 should be what you're looking for, hopefully you'll drive it more than a year looking at the way you go thru cars (your sig).
Old 12-17-07, 04:08 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove all the luxury sports sedans in 06 but were all 07. I was very picky because i had 2 ruptured discs comfort was #1 on my list.
I hated the C280.
BMW 3 series were nice, my best friend has the sports package and the seats are little too supportive in the wrong places for me. Handling is bar none on the 3 series with the sports package. He hasnt had any major problems with it.

TL type-s was ok felt like and upgraded honda accord. The Jag was felt like the RX350. The G35S was nice that was my first choice in off all the cars.

I bought my IS because the G35S was not discounted at the time.

I love driving my IS on long trips and short trips it is just fun to drive. I would recommed getting the clear bra if your getting a dark color. My black sappahire shows alot of pits from following cars on the freeway. Some might not agree because of the price but now i think i should have gotten it.

I think the sport package comes with the HID. if you get the AFS system they will be HID. ML system is good, but the base system is pretty good by itself.

If you can get about 10-15% off your doing pretty good!

GOOD LUCK
Old 12-17-07, 06:41 PM
Heat00
Driver School Candidate

thanks all again. I'm leaning towards the IS at this point.

the main reason I only keep them a short period is that I drive about 35k/year. yes, it kind of sucks but it is for business and a cost of doing business so its no big deal. also, I get tired of them quick and like something new as often as I can (without the wife killing me lol)

I'm going to drive it again later this week. I did drive it before buying the G35 last year but I think I made a mistake last time.
Old 12-18-07, 08:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

There is indeed a sports package... if you don't want woodgrain it's definitely the way to go... it gives you all the same features as the Luxury package minus the rear sunshade and the woodgrain while also giving you the sport suspension, sport pedals, and aluminum trim/door sills. (If you really like the illuminated door sills they're about 5 minutes to swap yourself, literally). Plus it's $500 less than the lux package with the same 18" wheels.

I agree on recommending the ML system, that (without nav), XM, and the sports package were the only options on my special order.

I've only owned the car a few months, but taken trips as long as 300-400 miles one way and it's been quite comfortable. The back IS cramped, but you buy the car you get to sit up front... and the rear is ok for short/around town type trips... I don't know that I'd want to be an adult in the back on a long trip though. The 08s are a little better on legroom there at least... and roadtrip mileage is certainly better than a G35.

I too was picking between the IS350, G35S, and TL-S... the TL got dropped for being FWD and by far the oldest of the models in terms of age/features... the G35S wasn't as comfortable, the throttle was very jerky, and while it was a little cheaper it wasn't cheaper enough in comparison.
Old 12-18-07, 09:05 AM
Namir
Lead Lap

The 18's are good looking rims, they come in both the Luxury and Sport packages. THe mark levinson dvd navigation system allows DVD playback and comes with a backup camera, which are both pretty nice features. And the interface of the nav screen is very convenient. The ML sound system has excellent sound quality. I would definitely get HID's (its in both lux and sport package)
DO NOT GET THE HKS EXHAUST. its way overpriced, most people get the tanabe.
The ride is very comfortable, yet sporty when you want it. The back seat is small, but I am 6'2 and have sat back there for 30-40 min rides without much discomfort. It really depends on who is sitting in front of you, and how far they like to sit back.
Hope that helps!
Old 12-18-07, 09:15 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat00
I get tired of them quick and like something new as often as I can (without the wife killing me lol)...
You know you can always trade in the wife too for one with fewer miles
Old 12-18-07, 06:32 PM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

Thats something you need to drive and make your decision but my 2 cents u cant go wrong with the 350