IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MTF...Change intervals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 03:24 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default MTF...Change intervals?

The manual didnt say when/how many miles need to be changed...

The dealer in my area says every 15K miles......

Any MT owners changed their MT fluid yet? If so, how many miles?
Old 12-17-07, 06:04 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kickin8

The manual should cover this. If the manual doesn't say then I would assume it would be just like the automatics, it never needs to be changed.
Old 12-17-07, 10:28 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never? i doubt that sometimes , grinding of gears could deteriate the metal (did 3times since i purchased ekk)leaving shavings in the fluid, im pretty sure its bad. I would like to know as well
Old 12-17-07, 10:39 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

for peace of mind, change every year...they don't cost that much, and will pay off in the long run
Old 12-19-07, 04:24 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the IS250/350 owners manual supplement, it recommends that the ATF be replaced every 60k. On manual transmission cars there is no service interval for replacement of the transmission gear oil, just an inspection every 30k. The manual kind of contradicts itself when it quotes

"On the LS, GS, and IS, the transmission and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit. Therefor, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid are not required, and there is no dipstick on the transmission on these vehicles. Any repairs that require adding or replacing fluid should be performed by a qualified technician following procedures in Lexus service and repair publications."

This just makes it more confusing. In the maintenance schedule it says replace ATF every 60k, then under explanation of maintenance items it states it never has to be replaced.

I would err on the safe side and replace the transmission oil every 60k.
Old 12-19-07, 07:58 AM
tidom78
Driver School Candidate

If I remember Lexus Canada say at every 60000km (37500 miles).
I will do mine nex year!
Old 12-19-07, 10:18 AM
06LexIS
Driver

Originally Posted by kickin8

I looked at my service intervals from the dealer and nowhere it states that the manual tranmission oil needs to be replaced every 15K
Lexus verifies the oil level for the manual every 30K interval.
As for the differential, replacement fluid is recommended is at 60K.

I changed the tranny gear oil @15K to Mobil synthetic due to the notchiness and the stiff second gear change. It's helped but hasn't gone away, my car has 54K now and still ticking.
I will replace the differential oil with Mobil synthetic gear oil @ 60K, they both use API-GL5, 75W-90 gear oil.
As per my dealer (Lexus of Pleasanton) said, as long as the replacement oil you purchase is API-GL5 certified, it will not void your warranty.
I used Mobil one because its easy to find.

Hope this helps, this is only for manual trannies, I have no clue about the autos.
Old 12-19-07, 10:37 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

V06LexIS: thanks for the info!

My car occasionally has clicking noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd and I took it to the dealer...they test drove it, acknoledged the clicking sound and said it's normal.....

did you depress the clutch all the way when you shift? cos the tech said if you are not depressing it all the way (to the floor) it will be somewhat hard to shift due to the synchro.......
Old 12-19-07, 11:16 AM
06LexIS
Driver

I've complained to Lexus and they say its normal. My transmission sounds like I have a bunch of marbles in it at idle and a clicking sound when you take off slow, could be the dual mass flywheel design.
No matter wheter the clutch pedal is half or all the way in, still does the rattle sound, the clutch works fine.
I purchased the HAG service maintenance agreement (5K interval) with the dealer when I purchased my car and I have extended warranty thru 100K or 7 yrs.
Once you're out of your bumper to bumper warranty (50K), the power train warranty will cover your tranny if it fails.
Old 12-19-07, 02:54 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 06LexIS
I've complained to Lexus and they say its normal. My transmission sounds like I have a bunch of marbles in it at idle and a clicking sound when you take off slow, could be the dual mass flywheel design.
No matter wheter the clutch pedal is half or all the way in, still does the rattle sound, the clutch works fine.
After I complained for two months, Lexus replaced my entire clutch assembly, and the new parts still make the "jar of marbles" sound. Maybe it IS normal, and just a product of bad design....
Old 09-13-08, 10:32 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

got mine done today.....pretty straight forward......

Thank God I got it done!
Old 09-13-08, 11:36 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

hey, kickin8 how much did it cost you to get it flushed? were did u go?
Old 09-14-08, 05:52 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey man! Drive your car to Chicago for our meet and will help you find it j/k

You going to the EOS?? Coming to Chicago anytime soon again for work??

Mike
Old 09-14-08, 10:29 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
In the IS250/350 owners manual supplement, it recommends that the ATF be replaced every 60k. On manual transmission cars there is no service interval for replacement of the transmission gear oil, just an inspection every 30k. The manual kind of contradicts itself when it quotes

"On the LS, GS, and IS, the transmission and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit. Therefor, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid are not required, and there is no dipstick on the transmission on these vehicles. Any repairs that require adding or replacing fluid should be performed by a qualified technician following procedures in Lexus service and repair publications."

This just makes it more confusing. In the maintenance schedule it says replace ATF every 60k, then under explanation of maintenance items it states it never has to be replaced.

I would err on the safe side and replace the transmission oil every 60k.

(I realize this is an old post I'm replying to, but since someone bumped the thread)

It's physically impossible to change a significant amount of the ATF. As you note in your own post, the unit is sealed and despite there being a pan/plug it doesn't allow you to get a significant amount of the fluid out that way. (or any other way I'm aware of)
Old 09-15-08, 12:53 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by iialcii
hey, kickin8 how much did it cost you to get it flushed? were did u go?
Find me @EOS and we'll talk about it....

Quick Reply: MTF...Change intervals?