IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car & Driver: 10 Fastest Cars 30-40k (IS350: 4th Place)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-07, 01:23 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
LOL everytime the subject of the 335i comes up on our board the mods have to step in

I only step in these types of threads to Moderate, not to comment...

Therefore, A NOTE FOR EVERYONE: Keep it cool.
Old 12-19-07, 03:16 PM
LexFather

[QUOTE=llamaboiz;3135671]

Guys its really quite simple, both cars are evenly matched, its a drivers race QUOTE]

Another moderator in here....police are looking are speeders!!
Old 12-19-07, 08:55 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow this thread came quiet now Too many cops prowling methinks
Old 12-19-07, 09:34 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the end of the month... they have to meet their quota.
Old 12-19-07, 09:38 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is amazing how everything that has IS350 and 335i in the same sentence turns into a heated debate. I have a couple of videos of me racing bimers posted on youtube and the comments some people post are just unbelievable.
Old 12-19-07, 10:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

There's really a "Forth" place?

Forth:

Noun

* S: (n) Forth, Forth River (a river in southern Scotland that flows eastward to the Firth of Forth)

Adverb

* S: (adv) away, off, forth (from a particular thing or place or position (`forth' is obsolete)) "ran away from the lion"; "wanted to get away from there"; "sent the children away to boarding school"; "the teacher waved the children away from the dead animal"; "went off to school"; "they drove off"; "go forth and preach"
* S: (adv) forth, forward, onward (forward in time or order or degree) "from that time forth"; "from the sixth century onward"
* S: (adv) forth (out into view) "came forth from the crowd"; "put my ideas forth"
Old 12-19-07, 10:43 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandive
Interesting how they placed the EVO ahead of the IS350 even with the IS350 getting a quicker and faster 1/4 time. I guess 0-60 is more important for magazine readers.
Sadly so!

BTW, I thought C&D got a 4.9 to 60mph when the '06 came out? Couldn't they keep that time for this "contest"??
Old 12-19-07, 11:09 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ES3
BTW, I thought C&D got a 4.9 to 60mph when the '06 came out? Couldn't they keep that time for this "contest"??
Probally weather, diff driver, 06 car is lighter(?), lots of reasons.

and a 3rd cop showed up here
Old 12-19-07, 11:36 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha smells like bacon!!
Old 12-19-07, 11:59 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

06 car is lighter(?)
It is?

Still, I'd imagine they'd make note at least of their best time in the car.
Old 12-20-07, 12:19 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ES3
It is?
hmm i dunno, im just guessing. Since when do new cars get lighter each year?

*yes ppl i know about the new wrx but thats like the only 1(?)*
Old 12-20-07, 12:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

hmm i dunno, im just guessing. Since when do new cars get lighter each year?

*yes ppl i know about the new wrx but thats like the only 1(?)*
Different test locations like weather conditions, fuel level, driver's skill are factors which vary testing times. Also being a pre-production vs. production can also play a factor.
Old 12-20-07, 12:57 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

The issue I have with the magazine comparisons is that they only take into account MSRP and not real world prices. To make matters worse, Lexus decided to send to the press fleet a $47 or $48K MSRP car loaded with even active cruise control, which hardly anybody here has. I've read on more than one review complaining about the price of the Lexus, even though most of us got pretty sweet deals. BMW on the other hand, sends a bare car without the NAV and iDrive, knowing that the press hates it. Therefore, it comes out in their comparisons that the BMW and Lexus are pretty comparably priced, when in reality, when you load up the equipment, and then take into account dealer willingness to deal, it's not even close. C&D has praised and made excuses for BMW on multiple occasions for not having the iDrive on the car and saying that people should just get a bolt-on NAV if they want, therefore ignoring the fact that an integrated NAV is worth at least $2K on MSRP.

Lexus should have sent to the press fleet a $42K car with premium and NAV, since nobody will write about the extras in the Lux and Sports packages. And putting the sports package is pointless because regardless, they will complain that the car is soft and not a BMW, so yeah, the $42K car would have been the best bet.
Old 12-20-07, 01:03 PM
Heat00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sirkfc
The issue I have with the magazine comparisons is that they only take into account MSRP and not real world prices. To make matters worse, Lexus decided to send to the press fleet a $47 or $48K MSRP car loaded with even active cruise control, which hardly anybody here has. I've read on more than one review complaining about the price of the Lexus, even though most of us got pretty sweet deals. BMW on the other hand, sends a bare car without the NAV and iDrive, knowing that the press hates it. Therefore, it comes out in their comparisons that the BMW and Lexus are pretty comparably priced, when in reality, when you load up the equipment, and then take into account dealer willingness to deal, it's not even close. C&D has praised and made excuses for BMW on multiple occasions for not having the iDrive on the car and saying that people should just get a bolt-on NAV if they want, therefore ignoring the fact that an integrated NAV is worth at least $2K on MSRP.

Lexus should have sent to the press fleet a $42K car with premium and NAV, since nobody will write about the extras in the Lux and Sports packages. And putting the sports package is pointless because regardless, they will complain that the car is soft and not a BMW, so yeah, the $42K car would have been the best bet.
Nicely put. I am actually in the process this week of getting a new car and it is down to the 335i and the IS350. I'm leaning towards the IS, the only, only thing I don't like so far is that space is a little tight. My wife is pushing me towards the 335i and I did drive a sedan 335i yesterday.
since we are the subject I'll give me .02 worth.

it did drive very nicely and I'm going to drive the IS again saturday. (drove it a year ago before I got my G35S). handled nicely and space in both the front and the back seemed better than the Lexus....BUT

the sticker on the one I was looking at was $43,800 and all that it had was automatic & sport package. NO other option. no nav, no backup camera, no keyless operation and the list goes on. the interior of the BMW is just so plain and blah... I'm having a hard time with it. Leaning towards giving up some room to get a luxury sport sedan, the IS. The other worries I have are with reliability. seems like the Lexus (wife has rx330) and all japanesse are really that much better than anything out of germany and even though they include 50k of maintenance, it's not only the money but the time to go drop off the car and the headache associated with that. I'm sure for $43,800 (havent been to the dealer yet) that my IS350 will have many more options and luxuries than that of the bimmer.

One of the worries I have about the IS, besides the lack of room, is that I hear something about the tires not even lasting 15,000 miles? Can you guys give me some direction as to if that is true or not? Seems like that can get expensive as I drive 30k+ a year..
Old 12-20-07, 02:39 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES3
Sadly so!

I believe C&D got a 5.1 time when the '06 came out. Pretty sure it was R&T that got a 4.9 when they did the IS350, G35 & TL-S comparo.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver: 10 Fastest Cars 30-40k (IS350: 4th Place)