IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Picking up 08 Friday evening......

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-07, 08:42 AM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up 08 thursday evening.....

What should I expect to receive from the dealer? What should I look for on the car?
Thanks!

Last edited by Scottina08; 12-20-07 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-20-07, 09:25 AM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Should get a full tank of gas for starters... Maybe even a free Lexus coffee mug or Pen... If you know what your preferences are for some of the convenience features they can set them for you (you won't have to wait 30 days to change the time it takes for the headlights to turn off). Check the Lexus website for a complete listing.

I picked up my '08 350 two months ago and I thought the prep was great... I would check the leading edge of the roof for residue from the white protective stuff they put on during shipping though. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 12-20-07, 09:31 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottina08
What should I expect to receive from the dealer? What should I look for on the car?
Thanks!

A coffee mug and a hat . Walk around the car and make sure there are no obvious dings or trim faults; also check the wheels for blemishes. Make sure all your options/accessories are as promised. If you got NAV, it can be pretty intimidating at first pass. I didn't even spend much time with the salesperson for explanations; just started through the 200 page manual ... If your dealership is local, you will always be able to just call for issues that you "notice" after driving off.

Enjoy. I absolutely love mine.
Old 12-20-07, 09:43 AM
sandwiches
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked mine up two weeks ago. I got some freebies with mine as well... a duffel bag, a pen/card case/moneyclip, and a polo shirt!
Old 12-20-07, 10:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottina08
Thanks!
How exciting!

First and foremost, just enjoy that you've got a great car in hand.

Second, start looking at some Exterior quality issues. Check the paint for any noticable chips, orange peel, or fine scratches (especially with darker paints). Make sure that all body panels have minimal gaps and nothing is loose/flimsy; Lexus is best in such details. Open and slam all doors shut, including the hood and trunk; it should be firm with no rattles or sqeaks. Check for scratches on the wheels and below the front bumper, due to curb rash. Check the exterior lights and make sure there is absolutely no condensation.

As for the interior, make sure all storage and panels are firm (check the glove box, center console, rear center armrest, side door panels, rear window ledge, etc.). Sit in all seats; all seats should not squeak. Turn on the radio (bring CDs and DVDs to test), A/C, and heater. Check all power equipment such as the windows, rear shade, mirrors, seats, lights, door/trunk/fuel locks, etc. Make sure you have all the manuals; there is one for all cars, and another specifically for the Nav system alone.

Just be thorough. AND POST PICS WHEN YOU CAN!!!
Old 12-20-07, 10:31 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

wow, when I took delivery I didnt check anything. I just made a quick walk around and thats that. I think if I would of started checking every single bolt on the car like suggested the salewoman would look at my like im weird.

I was just happy to get mine.
Old 12-20-07, 11:02 AM
Robbyh
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the new ride.. I just picked mine up last night.. Although I didnt get any free goodies.. Might have to ask when I stop by today to drop off title to my old car.
Old 12-20-07, 12:01 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

TOMORROW!!! i bet you cant wait As for me i got a FREE empty bank account
Old 12-20-07, 12:24 PM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

actually they just called and said they could meet us tonight. We are getting the car from Lexus of Knoxville and we live in central KY. They are meeting us 1/2 way which is about 70 miles. It is an 08 IS250 RWD auto with HID's, 18's, spoiler, rear bumper applique(whatever that is?)etc. and red on black. My wife is pretty excited as it will be her main car. Thanks for all the suggestions. Is there nothing that maybe others have found specific to look for on these cars?
Old 12-20-07, 12:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Welcome to CL. don't forget to show us pics of your new ride.
Old 12-20-07, 12:55 PM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

pics will come soon....
Old 12-20-07, 12:56 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

hats/key chain/key glove......etc etc?
Old 12-20-07, 08:01 PM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

got it tinight and of course its raining after they waxed it. I got the RED Dot tracking service as a gift and some truffle chocolates. They also met me 1/2 way and refilled the tank. My wife drove it home....it done very well. I drove it around my neighborhood...seems very nice. I love the black interior...the seats are very nice and ohhhh that beautiful new car smell!!! The graphite wheels are also very nice...as well as the adaptive HID's.
Old 12-20-07, 08:07 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Convince your wife how much safer and better *more room for shopping bags * the cherokee is Then you can take the lexus
Old 07-08-08, 09:59 PM
sith120
Rookie

Picking up a 2008 GSM IS 250 with Nav in the X package tomorrow afternoon from Lexus of Serramonte!

Quick Reply: Picking up 08 Friday evening......