IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 Lexus iPod interface kit (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 07:46 PM
phil9892
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was quoted $600 installed for mines, but when I showed them the document from myis. they confirmed that it was correct and did it for $299 instead
Old 02-27-08, 12:05 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISBU
I installed it in my 06 IS350 and it works fine. Its pretty much a universal kit as long as your radio has the SAT button it will work. Its the same kit for the camry, the 09 corollas with SAT buttons and other toyotas or lexus that has the SAT button.
Does this override the 'I agree' too. I have a 06 w/ the SAT button and wouldn't mind getting this one over the Vais since I have the ML. Will you be able to watch videos while driving too????!?!?!?

Last edited by Shoganai; 02-27-08 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 11:40 AM
moseby
Driver School Candidate

i just had the vais installed. I have ML package. As far as i can tell you can only watch dvds with the parking brake on....

i chose vais because i also have xm radio....need them both. the lexus version cant do that. I had a guy install the vais for only $375
Old 02-29-08, 03:56 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shoganai
Does this override the 'I agree' too. I have a 06 w/ the SAT button and wouldn't mind getting this one over the Vais since I have the ML. Will you be able to watch videos while driving too????!?!?!?
I don't know if you can use it to watch videos. I have the standard radio in my car cause nav wasn't offered here in Hawaii in 06.
Old 02-29-08, 07:32 PM
NOVAGFC350
Pole Position

ARe you saying Vaistech has already released the SL2Vi (or package #4) for the IS Navi/ML package? Please confirm becuase I'm wainting on this unit, however didnt it's available yet.

Originally Posted by moseby
i just had the vais installed. I have ML package. As far as i can tell you can only watch dvds with the parking brake on....

i chose vais because i also have xm radio....need them both. the lexus version cant do that. I had a guy install the vais for only $375
Old 02-29-08, 08:52 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

I rather pay for something help me to gain something ,not trade in my Sat to get the Ipod. Iam going with the SoundLinQ2 SL2Vi from vaistech
Old 03-01-08, 08:47 AM
moseby
Driver School Candidate

i had the sl2 with out the video installed. i decided not to wait for the one that allows the video to be played. since you have to have the parking brake on, the extra wait and expense was not worth it to me.

btw, i am really happy with the installed interface. the sound is amazing. i would absolutely recommend the vais over the lexus interface if you want satellite radio.
Old 03-01-08, 09:45 AM
NOVAGFC350
Pole Position

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the clarification mate BTW, it's March already, so hopefully it will be out in a couple of weeks

Originally Posted by moseby
i had the sl2 with out the video installed. i decided not to wait for the one that allows the video to be played. since you have to have the parking brake on, the extra wait and expense was not worth it to me.

btw, i am really happy with the installed interface. the sound is amazing. i would absolutely recommend the vais over the lexus interface if you want satellite radio.
Old 03-10-08, 02:41 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

For those that have received and installed this unit - is the included cable long enough to reach the center console instead of the glove box? I'll be using this with my iPhone, and certainly don't want to be reaching in my glove box to answer calls.

Javier
Old 03-10-08, 07:34 PM
hhnyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by javyLSU
For those that have received and installed this unit - is the included cable long enough to reach the center console instead of the glove box? I'll be using this with my iPhone, and certainly don't want to be reaching in my glove box to answer calls.

Javier

I had the Lexus Interface kit installed last week, paid $310 complete, both the unit and the install. I'm not sure about the length of the cable, but I'll check when I get into the car...

Doesn't the iPhone have Bluetooth? If it does, you wouldn't need to reach into the glove compartment to answer calls, but it would mean you would have to plug and unplug your phone every time you enter and exit the car, which is one the reasons why I got the unit installed in the first place...

On a side note, a couple of observations...

1. When your iPod is plugged into the unit, you lose the ability to use the controls on the iPod itself...you get the same screen as you do when you connect it to a PC to sync.

2. I thought browsing and searching for songs/artists would be better, but that isn't the case. Everything is controlled on the SAT screen, and the "search" capability isn't really much...it's just browsing through artists and albums using the "next track" dial **** of the radio. But the problem is that there's only one line of tiny text and not the 7 or 8 that you see on the iPod screen, and its limited to only 10 characters or so. It's hard to find what you're looking/browsing for, unless your playlists are named all differently.

I'm going to have to create smaller playlists, and also rename them so I can tell the difference between them with just the first 10 characters being displayed. I haven't had time to really play with it yet, and haven't even looked at the manual, so I might not have come across everything...if anyone knows a better way, let me know.

3. On a good note, none of the controls are locked out when you're moving, unlike browsing through folders of an mp3 CD when using the changer.

4. When you press the "text" button from the SAT screen, it shows the full track title and artist from mp3 tags.

Overall, I'm happy with the unit, although there are some obvious tradeoffs. I don't use satellite radio, so that's not an issue. I thought the iPod integration would be tighter, but I suppose this unit was more of an afterthought, and not dedicated to the iPod. I guess what the unit does is "tricks" the car audio to thinking it's connected to a satellite radio...

The iPod Classic is a perfect fit in the glove compartment, to the left of the little compartment for the manual, and I love the fact that I can just leave it in there and forget about it...in addition to being able to control it through the navigation screen and steering wheel controls. I'm not sure if there are any advantages to this kit over the Vaistech, based on what I've read about it, other than it's from Lexus. If anyone in the NY area wants to see it in action before they get it, let me know and you can drop by...I'm in Queens.
Old 03-10-08, 08:06 PM
naga11
Rookie

Originally Posted by javyLSU

Javier
Yes, Javier, the cable is long enough to reach the center console. That is where I had mine installed (dealer gave me the option of center console or glove box). I also use my iphone to connect and it has been working really well for me. The cable is long enough so that I could set my iphone in the outside cup holder too if I preferred.

naga
Old 03-10-08, 08:12 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Sweet, thanks for the replies guys. naga11, your information is exactly what I wanted to know.

hhnyc - thanks for the detailed write-up. My car doesn't have navigation, and the only way I'd be able to use the bluetooth is through a headset. I still have yet to use a bluetooth headset that I like, so that's why I'm concerned with the length of the cable. It's absolutely imperative that I be able to answer my iPhone while driving. Otherwise this kit is useless for me.

Thanks again for the information!

Javier
Old 03-10-08, 08:18 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Default How do I get the better sound with the wider cable, but still see artwork?

Originally Posted by hhnyc
1. When your iPod is plugged into the unit, you lose the ability to use the controls on the iPod itself...you get the same screen as you do when you connect it to a PC to sync.
That's too bad. I wanted to be able to see artwork on an iPod Touch in landscape, sitting in the glove box. But I insist on the better sound that comes from the wider interface cable, not the headphone jack.

Now I don't know what to do. A wider cable that plugs into the AUX jack would probably have the same problem of blanking the screen.
Old 03-10-08, 10:37 PM
hhnyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lex Law
That's too bad. I wanted to be able to see artwork on an iPod Touch in landscape, sitting in the glove box. But I insist on the better sound that comes from the wider interface cable, not the headphone jack.

Now I don't know what to do. A wider cable that plugs into the AUX jack would probably have the same problem of blanking the screen.
Javy - Ahh, I see. Have you looked at any aftermarket Bluetooth options for the car? A buddy of mine has one in his Bimmer, and it works pretty well. It sounds like you use the phone a lot, and I would imagine having a hands-free solution would be a godsend for you.

Lex Law, if you don't want to go the interface route, you can use the AUX jack to connect your iPod using a charger that connects to the dock connector and NOT the headphone jack. I used the Monster Ultra-Low Profile Charger, which connects via the iPod dock, and on the side on the connector, there's an audio line-out jack. As a bonus, it doesn't have any bulk, so the center console closes without a problem:
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Ultra-...5211080&sr=1-1

And I connected the charger to the car using a 3.5mm mini-plug:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A6V7MY

Then I used a Pro-Clip to mount the iPod:
http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...p_leftorright=
or

and (depending on which model iPod you have):

And the screen won't blank out, because the only way to control the iPod is through the iPod itself. But that creates another problem in that you can't control it through the audio/navigation/steering wheel controls. Also, going this route costed me something like $50 for the charger and cable, and another $70 for the Pro-Clip for the mount and device holder. I don't need mine anymore, so if you want, I could sell you mine. Oh, and another thing, if you use the AUX jack, then you should definitely have the AUX TSIB done. Otherwise, you're going to get an annoying an whining/static/electrical noise, which I'm sure you won't want. It's an in-line filter, and after it was done on my car, no more noise.

Each has it's advantages and disadvantages...there really isn't a perfect solution...
Old 03-11-08, 07:59 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Thanks, hhnyc, I've had my eye on the Monster Ultra-Low Profile Charger. The Monster 3.5mm mini-plug is about 3 feet long, and if I am going to mount in the glovebox, that will be the way to go. But with our seating position, it might not be that easy to reach over and bump the FF button. The center console is still in the running.

I don't care for the Pro-Clip solutions. I'm a minimalist, and I'd rather have something that only held the ipod from the back, adhesive or magnet or something (though a magnet may screw with the screen or something).

It's also good to know that I still need the TSIB, even for the 2008 AWD (nice car you got there!).

I may try the Kensington LiquidAUX for iPhone and iPod, which is supposed to be released this month.

Quick Reply: 2008 Lexus iPod interface kit (merged threads)