I didn't know this

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-07, 12:59 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
Darwin awards huh?

I'll do it and film it and post it for all you non-believers.

I've been on this forum for like 14months now and posted a hell lot of post. You think I am going to just post something to have a bunch of people destroy their cars.

Also, think about it either your car is going to let you do it, or it's going to stop you from putting it in reverse period.

True, but no matter what its just a scary thought!

If I am over the mph limit for a certain gear my Sc will not kick down gears. I have accidentally thrown the Sc in 2nd when I meant to get into 3rd and nothing happens. I suppose there is a similar safe guard for throwing it into reverse
Old 12-23-07, 01:06 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy at work found out his 98 Ford Ranger needs a new transmission...$2100. I wonder what the bill would be for an IS?
Old 12-23-07, 01:12 PM
ano0oj
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried this a couple weeks ago, I was going 40 on a regular road, and I usually pop it in neutral when I approach a red light(dont ask why, i just do), but this time, i popped it TOO far and went to reverse, and nothing happened...saw everything behind me, and nothing happened to the car itself.
Old 12-23-07, 01:22 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
A guy at work found out his 98 Ford Ranger needs a new transmission...$2100. I wonder what the bill would be for an IS?
Key words in your statement 1. ford 2. 1998 enough said
Old 12-23-07, 01:29 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

so you have to be going over 20 mph? what if im going 15 and hit it in reverse
Old 12-23-07, 02:46 PM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 123 Likes on 60 Posts

Darwin awards huh?

I've been on this forum for like 14months now and posted a hell lot of post. You think I am going to just post something to have a bunch of people destroy their cars.

Also, think about it either your car is going to let you do it, or it's going to stop you from putting it in reverse period.

Please do it & film it!!!! even though I want to try it, i couldnt bring myself to do it!! 1 the cars up for the winter, & 2 I just cant see me poppin it in R on purpose @ 20+!!! So please film it @ shut everybody up!!! lol
Old 12-23-07, 03:00 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Darwin awards huh?

p.85 of the 2006 is350 owner's manual says

Caution: "Do not under any circumstances shift the shift lever to P, R o N (automatic transmission vehicles)...while the vehicle is moving. Doing so could cause significant damage to the transmission system and may result in loss of vehicle control."

while you may have been successful, your suggestion is risky and goes against common sense. and because there is no value whatsoever to your suggestion, it qualifies for the darwin award.
Old 12-23-07, 03:05 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

When I was 16, driving my mom's '56 Chevy, at about 30 mph, I used to pop it into low, hit the gas, and play hot-rod. The R was just past L, and one time (the very last time I ever did that) I hit R. Amazingly, there was no damage except a little burnt rubber. They built 'em strong back then, I reckon.
Old 12-23-07, 03:11 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Not the we don't trust you but I look at it like this. Say your friend asks you to jump off a cliff and he assures you there's deep water down below. It looks like rocky terrain to you but, again, he assures you it's water. Would you jump?
Old 12-23-07, 03:14 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Not the we don't trust you but I look at it like this. Say your friend asks you to jump off a cliff and he assures you there's deep water down below. It looks like rocky terrain to you but, again, he assures you it's water. Would you jump?
HELL YA... thats just my body NOT my precious i have my priorities straight
Old 12-23-07, 03:53 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
HELL YA... thats just my body NOT my precious i have my priorities straight
LOL! Yea, I know. just trying to make a point.
Old 12-23-07, 07:29 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Combfilter is right. I showed this to him. I have a through understanding of the transmission control and if your vehicle is moving forward at over 5 mph the transmission will not engage reverse if you shift it to reverse. It will remain in neutral. This could be just the way to express to someone who is on your tail to back off and you also get a chance to see the expression on their face when the backup lights come on on your navigation screen.

If you have cruise engage I believe it will be disengaged like you pressed no the brake.

Now if you shift it back into drive, do so with the foot off the gas pedal and don't accelerate until at least 1 sec has passed. This give the transmission enough time for the planetary clutch pack(s) to engage.

I know this seems wierd to do so but it won't hurt the vehicle or the transmission.

I had a similar conversation to a lot of cars I've setup full throttle shift on turbocharged models. I have to tell those guys to keep the gas pedal floored when you're shifting gears and it won't hurt anything. They look at me like I'm crazy and the engine will come apart.

-Joe
Old 12-23-07, 08:21 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carchitect
This could be just the way to express to someone who is on your tail to back off and you also get a chance to see the expression on their face when the backup lights come on on your navigation screen.
I'm sure this is what Lexus/Toyota had in mind when they designed this transmission.

Although it may be true that it won't do any damage to your transmission, this is one of those things that I will never find out for myself.
Old 12-23-07, 09:23 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy crap this sounds cool. SO many people tail gate me around here that im going to try that first thing tommorow morning. No body has ever seen a 2IS around here so i guess they are just trying to catch up to me too see what kind of car it is???????
Old 12-23-07, 09:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mythbusters already did an episode on this. On some (I say some because I don't know if all have this feature) cars there is a safety feature where the reverse gear simply wont engage while going forward even if the transmission shifter is in R. I personally wouldn't try it myself, but I'm not surprised that modern cars can do it without any damage to the tranny.

Quick Reply: I didn't know this