IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250/IS350 price check thread (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 04:19 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suspension is easy to change out; doing a high end audio system not so much, especially if you want it to look stock. If you are having a hard time finding everything in the car, maybe consider getting a car that has th ML system, and getting aftermarket F-sport suspension, which I understand lowers approx 1" as well.
Old 12-22-09, 05:31 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

3 weeks ago I paid 27k for the same exact car (color, options, but an 07) your looking at with 24k miles.
Old 01-01-10, 01:37 PM
dbetanc
Driver School Candidate

Default Fair price for a special order IS350?

Hello,

I just placed an order for an IS350 2010 with Nav, Mark Levinson, and Luxury Packg Plus. The dealer says they won't know the final price until the car is delivered in about 90 days.
The MSRP price with this options is around $44K or $45K, but I would like to know what would be a good price to negotiate from. How much above invoice could I feel I got a good deal?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Daniel
Old 01-01-10, 02:21 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at least 4k off msrp
Old 01-01-10, 02:26 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand how the dealer will not know their cost. They know their cost. Pretend they ordered the same car for inventory. Do you believe they would not know their cost?

Two years ago I special ordered a car at invoice + $800.

My theory on special orders is different than dealers. Dealers act like they are doing you are doing you a favor. If I owned a delaership I would gladly special order cars. Yes there is a chance the customer will cancel, but most will wait. As a dealer you order a car in hopes of making as much as you can. With an ordered car your margin is set, you don't worry about carrying it for months, the car is unloaded and delivered in 72 hours.

If you don't mind PM me what dealer you ordered it from. I will keep it between us.

Expect to see the car in 4 months.
Old 01-01-10, 03:28 PM
SPS
Rookie

Did you put down a deposit ? If you did, you don't have much of a negotiating position.

The only way to have a strong negotiating position is if the dealer knows you are ready to walk.

Sure, he was your buddy the other day. Everybody will be your buddy when you are ready to hand them forty grand.

Steve
Old 01-01-10, 06:18 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Keppie
I don't understand how the dealer will not know their cost. They know their cost. Pretend they ordered the same car for inventory. Do you believe they would not know their cost?

Two years ago I special ordered a car at invoice + $800.

My theory on special orders is different than dealers. Dealers act like they are doing you are doing you a favor. If I owned a delaership I would gladly special order cars. Yes there is a chance the customer will cancel, but most will wait. As a dealer you order a car in hopes of making as much as you can. With an ordered car your margin is set, you don't worry about carrying it for months, the car is unloaded and delivered in 72 hours.

If you don't mind PM me what dealer you ordered it from. I will keep it between us.

Expect to see the car in 4 months.
much agreed. but i think the dealer, by saying that they don't know the cost, is a time issue. they know the holiday season will soon be over, and there is less of a chance customers will be able to get their deeper discounts. sure, its a special order, and they can pretty much tally the cost to include the special add on's that a certain customer wants, but this does not include bargining for the car itself. placing a down payment does hurt in negotiation, because they have you hooked. knowing they might lose out on a customer means they are at least going to try to keep you at their dealership to make a deal that appeases both sides. best of luck my friend. dont be afraid to negotiate!
Old 01-01-10, 09:31 PM
dbetanc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your replies. I've already payed 2K deposit. They wouldn't order the car without it. I know I have more power of negotiation if I could walk away, but I choosed this deler, because I bought my first Lexus from them, and I'm hoping they would give me the best deal if they want my business next time I come back.
Are deposits of special order cars non-refundable?
Old 01-01-10, 09:45 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dbetanc
Thanks for all your replies. I've already payed 2K deposit. They wouldn't order the car without it. I know I have more power of negotiation if I could walk away, but I choosed this deler, because I bought my first Lexus from them, and I'm hoping they would give me the best deal if they want my business next time I come back.
Are deposits of special order cars non-refundable?
Depends on your state, and it depends on what you might have signed in writing.

Now, if you have no price, you likely have no contract...since that'd require you to have both agreed on terms...so I'd bet you could get the $ back if you asked, and if you threatened to call the state attorney general if need be... DISCLAIMER- I'm not a lawyer, that's just my lay opinion and shouldn't be considered legal advice.

No way would I haven given em anything if I didn't have a final price in writing though, it's not like you've ordered the next model year, they know -exactly- what the car costs them, so should be able to agree on -exactly- what it will cost you. (mine took about 2.5 months to arrive BTW)

I bought mine special order, for a pretty similar deal to Keppie, and have about the same opinion- the dealer should be thrilled to do a special order without jacking the price since the buyer is giving him a sale on a car that won't need to sit on the lot costing them any money at all, and the buyer generally knows exactly what he wants so no "sales effort" is really required either.
Old 01-01-10, 09:56 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

2010 IS350s are pretty few now-a-days. If you can get a few grand off you should feel good about the deal.
Old 01-02-10, 05:37 AM
dbetanc
Driver School Candidate

I'm in Florida, and the only thing I signed was the CC auth. form for the $2K deposit. The only price in writing I got was an email with apprx $45K saying the price could go up or down in the interim due to shipping costs and year change rates starting Jan 2010.

They also said they would discount $1K off the actual price, but somehow I fear that's too little. I finally could afford the car of my dreams with some stretching of my budget, but I don't want to drive off feeling I was taken advantage of since this was a speciall order.

Last edited by dbetanc; 01-02-10 at 05:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-02-10, 07:05 AM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

that's BS that the dealer wouldnt know the price until it's delivered
when I went to the dealership, they told me exactly how much it would cost me to buy it
and it was exactly what you were looking for

if I remember correctly, the best price that I was offered was 39,500 OTD
and I thought that was a KILLER DEAL..but the problem was that I had to wait 3 months
so I passed that deal
Old 01-02-10, 10:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jbayse99
2010 IS350s are pretty few now-a-days. If you can get a few grand off you should feel good about the deal.

Do you have some information that they've suddenly cut production of IS350s? Otherwise they're just as plentiful as they were last month, or last year, or 2 years ago. They're a car 5 years into production, in the middle of the current model year... no reason at all someone should be paying a large amount over invoice for such a car at this point.
Old 01-02-10, 11:12 AM
gotis1000
Rookie

I ordered the same car and what I was told was that lexus "penalizes" special orders in the sense that they get one less car in their shipment if there's a special order. They would not budge from msrp but they told me this in advance. But I negotiated to get fsport items at cost or close to.

No other dealer gave me a better deal in the phx area. I guess partly they think since ur going out of ur way to get a specific car with loaded features, u have money and will pay to get that car and a couple grand isn't going tgo change ur mind.
Old 01-02-10, 11:22 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

The fact he didnt know cost was just to get you to leave your 2k deposit so when they DO get the car or at least having it coming in, they can tell you they will only knock off 500-1000 off of MSRP.

And I dont understand why you even ordered one? You probably could have either found an 09 with those options or just waited 2 months and then shopped a few lexus dealers to find the car you want.

Dealers know what 2010 invoice/cost/MSRP is. If you can build it on the corporate site, then they know, I promise you.

Quick Reply: IS250/IS350 price check thread (merged threads)