IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250/IS350 price check thread (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 06:57 AM
dbetanc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kurtz, how much did you pay as deposit?
Old 01-07-10, 08:20 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dbetanc
Kurtz, how much did you pay as deposit?
$0.00

I didn't even meet the guy I bought it from in person until the day I picked it up...everything before that was just phone/email.

(though the $0 deposit could be related to the fact I was referred to him by a friend of his I worked with)
Old 01-07-10, 08:57 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you limiting yourself to local dealers only? If Tampa and Ft. Myers are options I can give you the name of two people that should be able to help you.
Old 01-07-10, 10:28 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered my car from JM during the first year of the new model run (06 IS350). I put $1,000 down, confirmed that it was fully refundable, and then negotiated the price down $3,000 when the car came in.

All you have to do is be clear that you know they can't steal your money (deposit), and that you know walking away is an option if they won't be reasonable.

These dealerships are laughing all the way to the bank at suckers who believe MSRP is reasonable for a special order. The only difference between a special order and any other car is that they essentially have it pre-sold. If they think it's so valuable, let them keep it.
Old 01-07-10, 11:19 AM
LexusRuss
Pole Position

Hello,

I just placed an order for an IS350 2010 with Nav, Mark Levinson, and Luxury Packg Plus. The dealer says they won't know the final price until the car is delivered in about 90 days.
The MSRP price with this options is around $44K or $45K, but I would like to know what would be a good price to negotiate from. How much above invoice could I feel I got a good deal?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Daniel

With all do respect to some of the other responses, there a few reasons why a dealer will say that they don't know the cost and it's not all "nefarious" motives.

People order vehicles from dealerships all the time and I would be willing to bet that more than half of those vehicles aren't purchased. Inventory is not as simple as it sounds and dealerships don't want to carry anything more than they have to because, every car on a lot is designed to bring in a certain amount of money for the dealership.

The dealers are also borrowing the cost of the car from the manufacturer and don't get repaid from Toyota until 3-6 months AFTER the unit is sold - so there's a ton of "floating" credit lines at a dealership.

It's one of the risks of being a dealer but, it's a risk they like to minimize. And for those of you who will say, "it's easy to sell that car" - well easier said when you're NOT the GM of a dealership.

As far as the cost is concerned, they will almost never agreed to a rock solid price before hand because, half a dozen things can change, including:*the invoice cost, *incentitives from the manufacuturer and the inventory of a particular make and model.

If the car you ordered SUDDENLY becomes unvailable and they have one of the only units remaining, they would be stupid to sell the car for less. They WILL hold out for as much money as they can.

It's simply the nature of the business - don't take it personal.

When your car is in route to the dealer, try to get as close to the invoice cost as you can when negotiating and you should come out fine.

Good luck!

Last edited by LexusRuss; 01-07-10 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 02:06 PM
dbetanc
Driver School Candidate

I've got a quote from a dealer which is closer to my budget, but still a little high for my confort. They are itemizing in the quote several things that I'm wondering if I could ask them to remove such as Dealer holdback, TDA, Whlsale Financial Reserve, and stuff like Paint protection Film, Preffered accesory package and Rear bumper aplique. These all sum up over $2K. Are any of these items non-negotiable? I presume the latter are.
Old 01-07-10, 02:13 PM
LexusRuss
Pole Position

I've got a quote from a dealer which is closer to my budget, but still a little high for my confort. They are itemizing in the quote several things that I'm wondering if I could ask them to remove such as Dealer holdback, TDA, Whlsale Financial Reserve, and stuff like Paint protection Film, Preffered accesory package and Rear bumper aplique. These all sum up over $2K. Are any of these items non-negotiable? I presume the latter are.
With the exception of dealer hold back and the Preffered accesory package, you can negotiate the others.

Dealer holdback is self explanatory - they "hold" it back because, that's really their only guaranteed profit. Every business should be allowed to make something, holdback pays for alll of the "regular" business cost.
Old 01-17-10, 06:06 AM
lexasgs400
Pole Position

Default looking to buy is 350 what to spend and look for

I found a 2006 is 350 one owner spotless with nav chrome wheels no accident history and no paint work verified with a paint meter with 82000 miles for $18,000.
Is that a good price?
Is there anything I should look for?
There are 3 blanks on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, are those options that it is lacking?
Since it has nav does it have the mark levinson system?
By looking at pics how can I tell what options it has, what were the options
Old 01-17-10, 07:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexasgs400
I found a 2006 is 350 one owner spotless with nav chrome wheels no accident history and no paint work verified with a paint meter with 82000 miles for $18,000.
Is that a good price?
Is there anything I should look for?
There are 3 blanks on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, are those options that it is lacking?
Since it has nav does it have the mark levinson system?
By looking at pics how can I tell what options it has, what were the options
No, the vast majority of cars with nav do NOT have ML. It would say Mark Levinson on the head unit if it had ML.

Ways to tell what it has (depending how many pics you see)

If it has memory seats (buttons on the door for this) and it has woodgrain then it has the luxury package.

If it has memory seats and no woodgrain then it's the sport package.

If it has no memory seats, but does have woodgrain then it has the premium package (which is just woodgrain plus heated/cooled seats).

Those are the only 3 "packages" for 2006 cars.

Since it has 3 blanks on the dash where you describe you already know it doesn't have the luxury package (one of those is for the power rear sunshade that comes with that)... the other blanks are headlight washers (standalone option) and I believe the 3rd one is always blank on an 06 (for 08 they put a coinholder there).

Other standalone options it could have for 06:

Nav (you already know that)

Nav+ML (it'd say ML on the head unit)

Pre-collision system (the Lexus emblem on the front would look different, search to find pics to see what I mean)

Rear spoiler (obvious visual to check)

XM Radio (hard to tell this one from pics- if you actually see the car though press the satellite button and see if you get a station or not, even without service you'd get 001)
Old 01-17-10, 09:15 AM
lexasgs400
Pole Position

Default thanks

has power seats and heated cooled seats
so I guess that means Premium Package

Is that a good package or a lower end package

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...y/IMG_6110.jpg

Can you tell from the pic about ML or nor

IT has rear spoiler and chrome factory wheels
Old 01-17-10, 10:42 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The car does not have ML sound. It would have a ML logo on the head unit if it did.

Incidentally, it was tough to get ML in 06. I had to special order mine and wait to get it.

That's a pretty high mileage car, but the price reflects same. If you're at the top of your budget, then go for it. If not, it's always better to have something with less miles.
Old 01-17-10, 11:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexasgs400
has power seats and heated cooled seats
so I guess that means Premium Package

Is that a good package or a lower end package

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...y/IMG_6110.jpg

Can you tell from the pic about ML or nor

IT has rear spoiler and chrome factory wheels
Given the seats and woodgrain and no rear sunshade, yeah, it's premium package.... that's pretty much the "lowest end" package that isn't no-options-at-all.

As noted, no ML due to it not saying ML on the head unit
Old 01-17-10, 11:23 AM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesnt seem like it has much options. no sport pedals so it doesnt have sport or x package. i think in 2006 HID was only available with luxury package and since it doesnt have that, it doesnt have HID lights either. car will last a long time...82k miles is nothing to worry about.
Old 01-17-10, 11:48 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

if u do decide to get the car, u can always get the HID kit, sports pedal, and other stuff added to the car later on. u can check the CL vendor section for very reasonable prices on that kind of stuff. GL!!
Old 01-17-10, 12:07 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

check the sound system!! make sure no speakers or subs are blown or anything..

i made that mistake..

Quick Reply: IS250/IS350 price check thread (merged threads)