IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will child seat fit in back of IS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 08:26 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 10month old. Currently still using a rear facing in the center using the latches. (the distance when using the "latch system" using the loops closest to the center is only 2.5" further apart than using the latch in an outside seat outside (11.5" vs 14").

For me, and as little as she is back there, it is fine, however if I had her regularly in my car, As in more than 2-3 times a month, I would buy something else. It is very tight back there, even in the trunk especially once you start throwing strollers, and diaper bags, etc.

If I was looking today, I'd be looking at the G35 and TL in this class, if I didn't skip it altogether for the next size up (GS350 which is tight also in the back seat, the M, the RL, etc.) or if I was allowed to drive a station wagon, a Volvo V70R (of course chipped and exhast'd- nothing screams sleeper like 400hp station wagon!) would be my ride!
Old 12-28-07, 09:17 PM
is250_fan
Driver School Candidate

anyone have pictures with 2 child seats in the back? or care to describe how difficult it is w/ 2?
Old 12-29-07, 05:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by is250_fan
anyone have pictures with 2 child seats in the back? or care to describe how difficult it is w/ 2?
It isn't too bad with front facing toddler car seats.It's the rear facing infant car seats that are a problem.
Old 12-29-07, 08:01 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Front/rear facing is not the law. The fact that a child less than a certain age or weight must be secured in a child seat is the law. When you can go rear to front facing is a medical issue.
I don't know if this varys by state, but I just took a child safety class a couple weeks ago here in Texas (daughter born yesterday), and it was clearly expressed that children are legally required to be in a rear facing seat until at least 1 year AND at least 20 lbs. Both conditions must be met before the seat can be forward facing.

I haven't tried putting my seat in my IS350 yet since we also have an Infiniti FX35, but I'll have to do it sometime. When she hits 6 months I'm planning to get a Britax Diplomat (new), which is designed for smaller cars.
Old 12-29-07, 09:54 AM
likwid8
Pole Position

Congrats on the new daughter Gernby. I'm was going to pick up a britax roundabout, but I'll have to check out the diplomat now.
Old 12-29-07, 12:17 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
When she hits 6 months I'm planning to get a Britax Diplomat (new), which is designed for smaller cars.
That's interesting, I wish it was available when my son turned to front facing. He's on the Roundabout now. Can't wait for him to move on to a booster for more space for him, for CA I believe that's 4 years old and 40 lbs.
Old 12-29-07, 01:35 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by likwid8
Congrats on the new daughter Gernby.
Thanks. We didn't think we could even have kids, so she's kind of a miracle baby to us.
Old 12-29-07, 02:30 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if this varys by state, but I just took a child safety class a couple weeks ago here in Texas (daughter born yesterday), and it was clearly expressed that children are legally required to be in a rear facing seat until at least 1 year AND at least 20 lbs. Both conditions must be met before the seat can be forward facing.

I haven't tried putting my seat in my IS350 yet since we also have an Infiniti FX35, but I'll have to do it sometime. When she hits 6 months I'm planning to get a Britax Diplomat (new), which is designed for smaller cars.
I stand corrected--a number of states do, in fact, dictate that level of detail:

http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx
Old 12-29-07, 05:07 PM
VF84
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 15951
You'll hear from others that you can put the seat in the middle and use both inboard LATCH anchors for the seat. This isn't recommended, as I recall, so I never went this route (although I understand the rationale).
use the graco snug ride system in the center, rear facing. the car seat moves less than and inch left/right at the very front end. and yes, i did need to use a towel as the pic above. y was it not a good idea to put it in the center? just wondering..

Originally Posted by Tmirk
...or if I was allowed to drive a station wagon, a Volvo V70R (of course chipped and exhast'd- nothing screams sleeper like 400hp station wagon!) would be my ride!
u'd be surprised how hard it is to get good performance out of that wagon.. and the stock twin ic setup is pretty useless, heatsoak really kills it. if they'd only release some info on whether or not to build an R for the new wagon
Old 12-29-07, 06:17 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VF84
use the graco snug ride system in the center, rear facing. the car seat moves less than and inch left/right at the very front end. and yes, i did need to use a towel as the pic above. y was it not a good idea to put it in the center? just wondering..
I've heard two reasons, but I'm not positive either is 100% correct.

1. The LATCH system is not intended for center seat installs unless a third set of anchors is installed. Using the two outer-most anchors must accompany the shoulder belt installation because the distance between the anchors is nonstandard.

2. The LATCH anchors are connected to the frame, and bending of same in a bad accident could result in a middle-installed seat being torn apart.

It's an individual choicel. I heard enough input from other parents to keep me from installing in the center of the seat, although I understand the rationale.
Old 12-30-07, 10:52 AM
likwid8
Pole Position

The latch systems in our cars were not designed to be used in the center, only on the two sides. If the latches are more than 11" or something like that, it's not suppose to be used. Usually you can find the dimensions in the manual. If you use the center seat, you should use the lap belt to secure the seat. If properly installed the base of the seat should not move more than 1/4 or something like that. In the pic I posted earlier, I used the towel to level out base of my convertible seat so my kid wouldn't propped at high angle. The snugride bases have the piece you can adjust so you wouldn't need a towel.
Old 12-30-07, 12:35 PM
JoesIS250
Driver

Thanks. We didn't think we could even have kids, so she's kind of a miracle baby to us.
CONGRATULATIONS Great way to start a New Year !!!! All births are truely a miracle in itself !!
Old 12-31-07, 12:48 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/junction-...article?mid=74

accidentally found this link.....JP + Recaro!
Old 12-31-07, 10:49 AM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wne t to babies r us and checked out the britax diplomat and is probably the best fit, it certainly is smaller than the rest i have see, i will be picking one up, in black when they get it in. they only had beige @ the time, anyways thats my 2 cents!
Old 01-01-08, 06:09 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Another reason why the middle seat is sometimes a bad place for a child seat is the fold down arm rest. If the child seat is rear facing, the arm rest can collide with the baby in a serious accident.

Quick Reply: Will child seat fit in back of IS?