IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will child seat fit in back of IS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 04:14 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Another reason why the middle seat is sometimes a bad place for a child seat is the fold down arm rest. If the child seat is rear facing, the arm rest can collide with the baby in a serious accident.
How could it open with the child seat blocking it?
Old 01-02-08, 06:14 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
How could it open with the child seat blocking it?
A rear facing seat doesn't really do that great of a job blocking it. I was able to push it down about 1/3 - 1/2 way before it really touched the baby seat (FX35). I doubt it would take that much of an accident to force it down enough to contact the baby. Keep in mind that the baby seat and arm rest share a very similar attachment point, so they can sort of pivot toward each other.
Old 06-10-08, 06:55 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Does anyone have any new updates about this issue? I've been using a Graco SnugRide infant seat (really small) since my daughter was born, and she needs to be upgraded to a larger seat now (6 months old). I'm still leaning toward the Britax Diplomat, but I would like to hear from others that have experience with it...

Has anyone tried using the larger sized convertibles (Britax Marathon, Decathlon, or Boulevard) in the rear facing position?
Old 06-10-08, 07:54 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if this varys by state, but I just took a child safety class a couple weeks ago here in Texas (daughter born yesterday), and it was clearly expressed that children are legally required to be in a rear facing seat until at least 1 year AND at least 20 lbs. Both conditions must be met before the seat can be forward facing.

Yes I am pretty sure this is the same state to state Same info I have found here in IL...

I haven't tried putting my seat in my IS350 yet since we also have an Infiniti FX35, but I'll have to do it sometime. When she hits 6 months I'm planning to get a Britax Diplomat (new), which is designed for smaller cars.
do you have any pics of the last seat in the car?? and did you place in the middle or to the side?

Thanks. We didn't think we could even have kids, so she's kind of a miracle baby to us.
Congrads to you and your family! that is great...I never saw this thread before. we are due in 2 mos and I am so excited. I just dont see how the seat will fit in this car. I have an older son so I have experienced the whole car seat stuff and that was my concern with both our cars being on the smaller side.

Another reason why the middle seat is sometimes a bad place for a child seat is the fold down arm rest. If the child seat is rear facing, the arm rest can collide with the baby in a serious accident.
have you tried this with the seat, not baby, in place to see how much movement it has? I hadn't thought about this till I read your post. I would think that the seat sits high enough up to have force and weight up against it to prevent it from falling down??

A rear facing seat doesn't really do that great of a job blocking it. I was able to push it down about 1/3 - 1/2 way before it really touched the baby seat (FX35). I doubt it would take that much of an accident to force it down enough to contact the baby. Keep in mind that the baby seat and arm rest share a very similar attachment point, so they can sort of pivot toward each other.
never mind now that I asked above and see your post here on the armrest...

do you have any pics you can post or PM me of the seat in the IS please.

thank you
Mike
Old 06-10-08, 11:59 PM
likwid8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any new updates about this issue? I've been using a Graco SnugRide infant seat (really small) since my daughter was born, and she needs to be upgraded to a larger seat now (6 months old). I'm still leaning toward the Britax Diplomat, but I would like to hear from others that have experience with it...

Has anyone tried using the larger sized convertibles (Britax Marathon, Decathlon, or Boulevard) in the rear facing position?
I used the snugride in my car for a little over a year and didn't have any problems in the middle. I'm expecting another in July and will use it again. I'm currently using the britax roundabout. I used it rear facing for about a month in the middle and also didn't have any problems. I also have a recaro signo that i used for a little bit, but it was really too bulky to use rear facing, so i picked up the roundabout. The roundabout works forward facing behind the driver, but my son still doesn't have that much room (he's always pushing up against my seat). I think the diplomat is the same size as the roundabout, just has the extra padding around the head. It should fit ok. This car is just too small for kids and car seats.
Old 06-11-08, 04:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Take the seat with you on a test drive. That's what I had to do. I have a Britax Marathon, but it's facing forward. If your baby's 6 months now, it's only another 6 months before you turn it around forward, anyway.
Old 06-11-08, 06:42 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I can't find any pictures of the Graco SnugRide in my car, but I'll try to remember to take one. It fits fine in the middle of the back seat, but you can't move the front seats all the way back. I have long legs, so it did make it slightly uncomfortable for me. Because of this, I only put the base in the car when I actually need to use it. I never did anything about the center arm rest. It may pose some risk to the baby in a serious accident, but I didn't think it would outweigh the benefit of being in the center of the car. In my wife's FX35, I was able to use a couple of my leather belts to strap the center arm rest in the upright position.
Old 06-11-08, 09:42 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I just finished test fitting the Britax Diplomat in the middle of my back seat, and I'm surprised to find that it fits better than the infant seat did! I don't have to move my seat forward with it like I did with the Graco SnugRide. After it fit so well, I wanted to see if there was any way I could fit the much larger "flagship" convertible seat, Britax Boulevard, and it fit perfectly too! It almost seems better than the Diplomat since it has a snug fit between the front seat backs, so it seems more secure.

This is the Britax Boulevard
Attached Thumbnails Will child seat fit in back of IS?-car-seat.jpg  
Old 06-11-08, 01:39 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Woops! I was wrong to say that I tried the Britax Boulevard in my car. It turned out to be the Britax Decathlon, which is the same size. I just bought the Britax Boulevard though, so I'll let you guys know if it fits differently.
Attached Thumbnails Will child seat fit in back of IS?-car-seat-2.jpg  
Old 06-11-08, 02:07 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

The center rear location is where I have my rear facing infant baby seat located. It is the only place that can be used for infants in the ISx50 due to the front and rear side curtain airbag system.

I just read an article that in general stated that the rear center location was best for most types of vehicles.

I skimmed through this thread and did not notice any references to the air-bag systems. Wow! I hope I just missed it.

Regards,
Old 06-11-08, 02:21 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gaugster
The center rear location is where I have my rear facing infant baby seat located. It is the only place that can be used for infants in the ISx50 due to the front and rear side curtain airbag system.

I just read an article that in general stated that the rear center location was best for most types of vehicles.

I skimmed through this thread and did not notice any references to the air-bag systems. Wow! I hope I just missed it.

Regards,
Does the manual say anything about a requirement to put infant seats in the middle? I don't see why the side curtain air bags would be any more of an issue for an infant that they would be for an adult. It definitely isn't the same problem as with the front air bags.
Old 06-11-08, 02:42 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

I don't recall the Lexus manual stating anything specifically but I would have to check again to be sure. All the literature from the baby seat manufactures states to be very aware of the airbag locations for the vehicle. This is mostly due to the known issues with the front airbags I am sure.

The rear curtain airbags deploy down and out from between and B and C pillars. This would shoot directly in the babies direction. I don’t think that the airbag for the ISx50 is big enough to contact a small infant in a baby seat but the shrapnel from the deployment is what concerns me.
Old 06-11-08, 02:42 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by Gaugster; 06-11-08 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-11-08, 04:03 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for the pics Gernby...

it looks like a very tight fit to me and not so safe. I am glad I saw this.

appreciate your help!

Mike
Old 06-11-08, 04:06 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I don't doubt that there is some risk of injury from the side curtain airbags, and I agree that the center is the only viable location in the 2IS. However, there are definitely other risks of putting the seats in the center. The most significant risk IMHO is that the child is much more likely to be dropped by the parent during the loading / unloading if the seat is in the center. Many cars also don't have properly support the latch system for the center location.

Quick Reply: Will child seat fit in back of IS?