IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

hid installation and warranty + other questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 01:14 AM
sokeen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hid installation and warranty + other questions

I'm planning on bringing my lexus in for service and I just recently installed my HID kit. Are they just going to void the warranty for the lights or what's up?

Also, lately I've realized that my navigation has been kinda weird... Giving me directions that made me get lost. It tells me to exit something far ahead when my destination is suppose to be an exit thats nearby. Is there anyway they can calibrate my navigation system?
Old 12-28-07, 02:07 AM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

Like you, I had aftermarket HIDs in my IS but I decided to risk my warranty taking it to the dealership for an oil change anyways.

Sweat dripped down my face on judgment day as I pulled into the service bay with the service adviser waving at me. My armpits were drenched more than the Northwest and I dread the moment I had to pop my hood. The guy was muttering important information to me, but my focus was squarely on the HIDs so I just kept nodding and say "great". The moment of truth came when he strolled over to the driver side door, opened it and reached for the hood opener . I thought my warranty was done for and had to hold back tears thinking the guy would stamp "VOID" on my warranty papers with an evil laugh. I thought my life was over, my wallet would shrink and that some Lexus executives are popping champagne back in their headquarters laughing at my voided warranty. For a few seconds of my life, I actually wanted the yellowness of halogen....

But everything went fine, my oil was changed and I got me some new brake pads due to the brake dust issue with no mentioning of my HIDs. I celebrated by taking some bear claws coupled with 2 cans of ice cold Pepsi for the road and checked out the fine ladies working the front desk while nodding with approval as I left the place.

I drove to the dealership a boy and came out a man with better night visibility; but still without AFS

And yes I think you can reset the NAV so the position would not be messed up again.
Old 12-28-07, 03:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think if something went wrong with your lights maybe then you would have a problem with Lexus covering a warranty lighting problem.
The install of a HID kit is pretty easy and connected just to the headlight plug with a line to the battery so nothing else is touched.
Basically it's only a plug in to the lighting harness with start up power (at least on the XD Extreme kit)coming from the battery not the lighting harness.That's one reason why I bought a XD Extreme kit over a MTEC.
17 Amps on side is a lot of draw off the OEM headlight harness.I've read on HID Planet and other places that will take it's toll on a OEM lighting harness over time.Then a warranty problem could come into play.
Old 12-28-07, 07:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just an FYI- it's illegal for them to void your whole warranty for an aftermarket part.

They can certainly refuse a warranty repair for a problem -caused- by your aftermarket part (ie you install an HID kit wrong and it burns up some wiring- that they won't fix free).

But if you install an HID kit and your differential fails, one had nothing to do with the other, and the warranty covers you just fine.
Old 12-28-07, 08:37 AM
z4frosik
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks kurt that taught me something use full.
Old 12-28-07, 10:29 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if you're bringing it in for an oil change, they'll most likely won't even notice you have hids in. they dont' have to pull the engine panels off to do an oil change so they won't see the ballasts n wires n junk.
Old 12-28-07, 11:03 AM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

I've had XD extremes in MY 06 Jeep from almost the start and never had a problem. Hell take a look at my Jeep...I completely cloned an SRT8 and I have had no problems with waranty work.
Old 12-28-07, 11:45 AM
sokeen
Driver School Candidate

for my engine covers.. i tried putting those back and the clips wouldn't clip back on.. do those little engine cover cilps easily clip back on?
Old 12-28-07, 12:53 PM
arksun
Driver

Originally Posted by sokeen
for my engine covers.. i tried putting those back and the clips wouldn't clip back on.. do those little engine cover cilps easily clip back on?
Check your manual in the maintenance section for illustrations on how to do it. You just need to "repop" (push up the center) the small clips so that when you insert it, it latches on.