IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

VIN, Car coming, advice on extras

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-08, 05:33 PM
BucBaby
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN, Car coming, advice on extras

OK, guys. It's official. I have a VIN number and my car is supposed to be here between the 8th and the 14th. WOOHOO and Yay!

During all of these delays, I have negotiated some extras. They've added window tinting and a clear bra. Now that the car is coming, what advice can you all give me on these items. In other words, what have you learned that you like or dislike about your items like these. Are there things to ask for or watch out for?
Old 01-01-08, 06:48 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your plastic trim around the edges of the doors that have the window tint. Make sure you redefrost works too!!!

Good Luck!!!
Old 01-01-08, 07:10 PM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

make sure its lifetime warranted tint
Old 01-01-08, 09:21 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's certainly good news, BucBaby!!! 'Bout time ....

Can't comment on the tint, mine had it already on it when I picked it up. What % are you getting? Most seem to go for 25% or 35%. I have 35% with black interior and it's fine. Maybe if I had a light interior I'd go for 25%. There are debates as to whether the door panels should be removed before tinting due to the tweeter sticking up in the corner. I don't think it is necessary to remove them if the tint is done by people who know what they are doing.

See if they will throw in floor mat covers. There are different kinds, ExactMats are the ones that were thrown in on my car. Protects your carpeted mats.

Keep us posted on the arrival.....
Old 01-01-08, 11:42 PM
BucBaby
Pole Position

Isn't the great news? I posted it in the other thread I had going yesterday. I was so happy to get WOOHOO's and Yay's.

The tweeter? Is that a problem talked about here? What about the plastic trim. What happens? Evitzee, did you do 35% all around? Do the dealerships do the tinting and clear bras themselves or do they have someone outside do it? Lifetime warranty? Is that something that is common?

When we bought the car, I got them to throw in the plastic mats because it was going to be cashmere carpet. They've changed it to black now, but I'm sure they'll still give them to us.
Old 01-02-08, 07:20 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They might do the clear bra, but the tint is sent out to a vendor. I would have them take of the door panel if you are doing the front door. The tweeter might get in the way of it and might not look good. It should have a lifetime warranty on the tint but probably not on labor.

Since you have been waiting for ever i would have them cover the tint as a lexus bumper 2 bumper warranty. Find out who the manufactur of the tint is so that after your 4 year lexus warranty you can still take it to a tint place to have it fixed if you have a problem.

I have hear that the plastic trim warps when a heat gun is applied to the window during the tinting process. The heat gun is used to dry the process and quicken the curing process. you will probably see little tint circle marks in the tint. they should go away in a couple days.

If they tint the windows that day, make sure not top open or touch the tint for a about 7 days since it is cold. if it is in the 80 you can get away with 3 days.

Enjoy the car get nice pen or watch out of them since they keep you on the hook!!!
Old 01-02-08, 07:24 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BucBaby
The tweeter? Is that a problem talked about here? What about the plastic trim. What happens? Evitzee, did you do 35% all around? Do the dealerships do the tinting and clear bras themselves or do they have someone outside do it? Lifetime warranty? Is that something that is common?
If you look at the interior you'll see the tweeter sticks up against the window, making tint installation more difficult. An experienced installer can get it installed with no problem. The problem with taking the door panels off is you get the opportunity to have squeaks and rattles crop up. I'd prefer them NOT to take the panels off.

Yes, 35% all around (not windshield obviously). It's dark enough for me, but if you have cashmere you might want to go 25%. Dealerships usually farm out tints and bra installation to outside contractors who specialize in it. Since it is part of your purchase it is covered for four years, or the mileage limit. I'm not sure if they will guarantee it for life, but you can ask.
Old 01-02-08, 07:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, guys. It's official. I have a VIN number and my car is supposed to be here between the 8th and the 14th. WOOHOO and Yay!
YEAH!!!
Old 01-02-08, 09:48 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

ask them to throw in a set of all-weather rubber mats!
Old 01-03-08, 11:11 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Default Clear bra and tint details

Hi BucBaby,

Congrats! I just got the VIN on my Red 2008 AWD too. "The vehicle is scheduled to port on 1/11/08 in Jacksonville and should be here by the 15th of January." They'll have it a couple days and flat-bed truck it to KY.

My dealer is doing both tint and clear bra in house, not some nameless, cheapest place in town. The manufacturer is important too.

CLEAR BRA
My dealer's detail manager prefers LLumar to 3M. Both are proudly used by IS owners. They do the following areas: bumper and lower bumper, A-pillars, side mirrors, hood and fenders, 4-8" roof strip, strip below gas door, rear bumper (Lexus offers a "rear bumber applique" with nice Lexus logo). Their default is 12-14" hood and fenders bra. They offer 20-24", better protection. I'm getting FULL hood and fenders ($200-250 more). They are seeing if they can order a single piece big enough to do the hood without two pieces and a seam. Rear wheel rocker panel clear bra is standard factory equipment for 2008.

TINTING
I'm also getting LLumar tint. Your state determines the allowable tint. Tint laws by state. Tints are dye, metal or ceramic. Dye may fade or go purple, metal may interfere with AM radio or remotely possible NAV, ceramic is hard to find but probably best. LLumar does not offer ceramic. Some LLumar's have lifetime warranty. LLumar available films. You may also want your dealer to install "moleskin" to prevent scratching of the film. AcuraWorld 'free' moleskin thread.
Old 01-04-08, 01:15 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Just from personal experience:

Clear Bra - I've had Llumar and I have Venture Shield on my IS350 for over a year now, get Llumar if at all possible, resists scratching better and things like bugs, which are everpresent in Florida, come off easier on the Llumar than the Venture Shield. Plus I notice Venture gets "soft" if its fairly hot outside (over 90 degrees) so it marks up much more easily.

Tinting - used Llumar tint in my cars for over a decade, had 0 problems with it, no fading, no peeling, nothing at all. Florida is 35%.

Mats - Get them to toss in the all weather mats if you don't mind the look, else go for the mat covers mentioned in the thread previously.

Hmm, what else? If you can get them to give your some free service due to their delay/incompetence that'd be good or extended warranty.

Congrats again!
Old 01-08-08, 05:49 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

It's the 8th.....what's the latest?

hahaha..damn.....I almost feel like it's my car or something.
Old 01-09-08, 10:05 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
It's the 8th.....what's the latest?

hahaha..damn.....I almost feel like it's my car or something.
Lol! I get that sense of anticipation every time I read the forum and look to see if anything has happened.
Old 01-09-08, 04:10 PM
08mica
Pole Position

mine will be here 11th to 16th.

Patience sucks
Old 02-03-08, 02:55 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

like kikin8 said weather mats. you will love them. makes cleaning car so much easier. Thats what i asked for. although i shoulda asked for more...cups plate frame....etc anything u see in the shop you like. why not ? just ask