IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2nd gen IS vs 08 CTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-08, 06:28 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd gen IS vs 08 CTS

Before I settled on the IS350 (took delivery 2 weeks ago), I seriously considered the 08 Cadillac CTS. I was impressed with the exterior sheetmetal, the interior redesign and the tech/entertainment package available.

I never thought I would come close to considereing a GM product (ZR-1 maybe? ), but I actually went to the local dealership for a test drive. I drove a loaded version with the Northstar Direct Injection engine. It was roomy and comfortable and the interior a VAST improvement over the previous generation CTS. Great back seat and huge trunk. Good power and predictable road manners. There was, however, some noticeable wind/tire noise on the highway at 65mph.

I was most impressed with the retractable, touchscreen Navi/Infotainment module. Can't remember, but I think the Navi system allowed for use "on the fly" (no lock-out while moving ).

A big concern with the CTS came after I spent a few weeks on a Cadillac owners online forum. A lot of folks showed much love for their car (as would be expected) but there were some recurring, lengthy threads highlighting some significant issues with build quality (steering wheel shimmy attributable to a rear drivetrain manufacturing defect?) and corporate customer service with this most recent model.

In the end, my decision was pretty easy. For my needs and wants, the IS fit like a glove. The exterior was sexier and the interior of higher quality. It struck a perfect ratio of sport and luxury. The engine had tremendous thrust and I felt much more "in touch" and in control with the IS. The Levinson audio sounded superior to the Caddy's Bose system (tested the same CDs in each car). Throw in Lexus quality and resale and the deal was sealed.

Now if they would only do something about the Navi nannies .

Did anyone else consider the CTS before getting the Lexus? Any comparison thoughts?
Old 01-01-08, 06:51 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CTS is pretty badass, and if it had been out earlier, and I didn't work for who I do, I would've seriously considered it. The new C-Class too.
Old 01-01-08, 06:55 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

The CTS is a very nice car - the new 08 incarnation is a car I would definitely buy. I'm anxious to see what numbers that car is going to put down in CTS-V trim.

Javier
Old 01-01-08, 07:24 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by javyLSU
The CTS is a very nice car - the new 08 incarnation is a car I would definitely buy. I'm anxious to see what numbers that car is going to put down in CTS-V trim.

Javier
The V should be a ****-eating-grin-inducing beast... If CAFE regulations change, it may very well never make it to production.
Old 01-01-08, 08:04 PM
350ripper
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i test drove an 04 cts v before i bought the 06 is350... i didn't like how loud and unrefined it was. love the look and the space though, still the lexus is smoother and Faster!
Old 01-01-08, 08:13 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Test drove the 08 CTS, 335, c350, g37 and the g35... In my mind the 08 Lexus is350 was the clear choice. My only concern with the Lexus was headroom, I'm 6'5", but it fit like a glove.

The CTS did not have bluetooth or back up camera. But I liked the idea of a 40 gig HD in the dash. Plus the lexus is quite a bit faster!

Thought I would have liked the 335 more, like the driving dynamics but not the interior. Felt the is350 had the best balance for me...
Old 01-01-08, 08:54 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey javy you might find this interesting..

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123863
Old 01-01-08, 09:09 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Hey javy you might find this interesting..

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123863
Nice but I think a car with a huge V8 like that should have quad exhaust.
Old 01-01-08, 09:45 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Nice but I think a car with a huge V8 like that should have quad exhaust.
I'll take this car with a huge V8 without a quad exhast, thank you very much...

Javier
Old 01-01-08, 09:47 PM
LexFather

The new CTS is fantastic. We have had IS vs CTS thread before though.
Old 01-01-08, 09:56 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The new CTS is fantastic. We have had IS vs CTS thread before though.
Searched "cts", "cts v is" and got no results... Searched "cadillac" and got many threads that contained that keyword but none comparing 2nd gen IS to newly redesigned CTS. Any links?
Old 01-02-08, 04:31 AM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by Zeus69
Searched "cts", "cts v is" and got no results... Searched "cadillac" and got many threads that contained that keyword but none comparing 2nd gen IS to newly redesigned CTS. Any links?
I traded an 04 CTS for an 06 IS350 and participated in many CTS vs IS discussions. The CTS design is beautiful but my experience with reliability and more importantly the dealer network left much to be desired. Good Cadillac dealers do exist and some of forums have dealer ratings.
www.cadillacforums.com is your best source.

Resale value of the CTS is below the industry average for its class. Haven't seen the ALG ratings for the 08 CTS but I don't expect much improvement.
Old 01-02-08, 05:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The new CTS is gorgeous.Cadillac is making a great comeback.
Next time I buy a new car it will be a tough decision.Stay with Lexus or go with new designed bigger '09 Audi A4 or CTS.
Old 01-02-08, 09:32 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I would have considered the CTS, but the old model was still out when I bought my IS. The rear design of the CTS is the only negative IMO. It looks too much like the previous model.
Old 01-02-08, 10:04 AM
Lex5150
Driver School Candidate

I definitely think the CTS is a step in the right direction for GM. I still think GM quality is suspect however. I havent driven the CTS, but I hear good things. Based on brand reputation and design, I'd take the Lexus.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen IS vs 08 CTS