IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Totalled???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 03:03 PM
Tcapone1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totalled???

Well I've had my IS250 for approximately 3 1/2 Months. New Years nite, I was a Designated Driver for some friends, in which I do not drink. I was at a stop light, waiting to turn left. When BOOM I get rear ended. Spun Multiple Times, no air bags went off, me along with 2 other passengers.

I was hit at a dead stop and the guy was doing 75mph drunk driving running from the police, the guy hit me spun off and hit a cop car... The guy who hit me broke every bone in his body. Went through his windshield, and well the sight was not pleasant. The police officer also went to the ER.

So my car got towed away, today I picked up my belongings and took a few pics. No air bags were deployed. The front passenger seats looked like crap from the impact, the rear seat moved forward approximately 1 1/2-2 Ft. The engine was also smoking pretty bad, neither rear door will close..

Think they will Total it out?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s23/lexus8.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...3/lexus3-1.jpg
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...t=Lexus1-1.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...3/lexus2-1.jpg

Last edited by Tcapone1; 01-02-08 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-02-08, 03:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Oh god, how awful.
Old 01-02-08, 03:10 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ouch. At least the IS did its job and protected you and your passengers, and you apparently walked away with no injuries. In the olden days the fuel tank may well have ignited.

No airbag deployment because they are designed for frontal impact.

Totalled? Yeah, could be. There has got to be frame damage.

I refuse to drive anymore on New Years Eve. I either stay home, or go to hotel, party, and stay over. There are just too many losers out there.
Old 01-02-08, 03:10 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad to read no one was oinjued in your car..
Be glad the car is totalled.You wouldn't want the car to be fixed.They're never the same after big damage repairs.
Old 01-02-08, 03:14 PM
Tcapone1
Rookie

Injuries... One of my buddies went in today, had upper lumbar issues in his back, along with a closed head injury.

Myself - Sore Neck, stiff back..

Other then that, I owned a Lincoln LS previously, and I can say if I was in the car I probably would not be alive today.

I will drive another IS, and feel safe while driving it.. After looking at the damage, and the Little amount if injuries we sustained compared to what could've happened. WOW... its almost hard to believe.

JoeB: I don't know if the car is totaled yet... I am awaiting a call from my insurance company. Does anyone know how that works? Would they cut me a check for a new one? Maybe the dealership will cut me a deal on an IS350...
Old 01-02-08, 03:16 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcapone1
Well I've had my IS250 for approximately 3 1/2 Months. New Years nite, I was a Designated Driver for some friends, in which I do not drink. I was at a stop light, waiting to turn left. When BOOM I get rear ended. Spun Multiple Times, no air bags went off, me along with 2 other passengers.

I was hit at a dead stop and the guy was doing 75mph drunk driving running from the police, the guy hit me spun off and hit a cop car... The guy who hit me broke every bone in his body. Went through his windshield, and well the sight was not pleasant. The police officer also went to the ER.

So my car got towed away, today I picked up my belongings and took a few pics. No air bags were deployed. The front passenger seats looked like crap from the impact, the rear seat moved forward approximately 1 1/2-2 Ft. The engine was also smoking pretty bad, neither rear door will close..

Think they will Total it out?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s23/lexus8.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...3/lexus3-1.jpg
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...t=Lexus1-1.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...3/lexus2-1.jpg

HOLY ******. Glad you are OK (alive).

WOW 75 mph and the car looks like that. It held up very well!

I think it is total loss.

This just tells me I made the right choice staying home that night and the right choice in vehicle!

Last edited by WhatYaGot; 01-02-08 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-02-08, 03:18 PM
LuckySeven
Rookie

WOw, glad to see that you're alive, definitely have your body checked out. GL

yup, the car seems totaled to me.
Old 01-02-08, 03:21 PM
Tcapone1
Rookie

Put it this way.. Hit at 10:30.. at Midnite we were at the Bar.. (i was not drinking..) watching the ball drop celebrating.. We were celebrating more then a new year that nite..
Old 01-02-08, 03:33 PM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that happened, thank goodness you could walk away fom it. I think the car should be totaled, has to be frame damage......right??
Old 01-02-08, 03:34 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should hope it is totaled. As someone else mentioned, even if it werent, I would not want to drive that thing again. Keep you fingers crossed and hope it is... Glad ya'll are (for the most part) ok.
Old 01-02-08, 03:45 PM
Tcapone1
Rookie

There was tons of frame damage from what I could see.. both of the rear tires were pointing inwards about 5".. Fingers crossed..
Old 01-02-08, 03:47 PM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you really want to keep your fingers crossed, iving a car around after damage like that ????.......... it will never drive the same again, no matter how good the body shop is!!
Old 01-02-08, 04:00 PM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

totalled.....sorry. Glad you and your passengers avoided serious injury!
Old 01-02-08, 04:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcapone1

JoeB: I don't know if the car is totaled yet... I am awaiting a call from my insurance company. Does anyone know how that works? Would they cut me a check for a new one? Maybe the dealership will cut me a deal on an IS350...
The damage has to be 75% of the car's book value for it to be totalled.If totalled your insurance company will cut you a check for the book value of the car possibly less any deductible.
You can in some cases argue for more than they offer.
Old 01-02-08, 04:30 PM
warhol
Driver School Candidate

glad you guys walked away from that one. i think the car is totaled. i suggest you get to the hospital and get checked out, whiplash symptoms appear days after the accident. also you should look into getting an attorney, you're dealing with a drunk driver running from the cops.

Quick Reply: Totalled???