IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

15K Service...$295??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 08:48 AM
twkid84
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much is the 30k price quote you guys are getting?

The dealership in Brooklyn lists $499.
although i am ready to spend some money on 30k but I don't know if I am willing to go that far.
Old 01-03-08, 12:18 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 30k mile price is $442.
Old 01-03-08, 03:25 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
how is it that BMW is able to provide its customer 0 maintenance on there cars under warranty? Is it because the break more often. Lexus should consider that option.. Well our cars are more dependable almost bulletproof.

I believe Lexus also has a prepaid maintenance package but it's a total rip off usually. It's hard to get a good deal because lets say you get a good deal on the prepaid, then you probably paid too much for the car and vice versa.

BMW has "free" maintenance but it's not really free, you pay for it up front in the higher cost of the car. I guess Lexus could do that too but then they would have the increase the price of all the cars to make up the difference. Besides that they don't need to. BMW did this because people started to question their reliability.

Unfortunately, there are a couple of dealerships that require the full maintenance. Glendale Lexus will only do their overpriced full maintenance, no oil changes and rotations only. I bought one of my cars there and I avoid them like the plaque. I don't mind paying the $50-60 for an oil change, but I refuse to pay $200 just so they could change out my perfectly fine filter prematurely. And how the heck does a $50 rotation make sense when they probably extended the life of your tires 5K miles at most. So you're going to pay $200-300 just to use the tires an extra 5K or so. I go to American's Tire Co and get the free rotation, heck, even if you didn't buy the tires at America's Tire Co, you can buy the Road Hazard warranty for less than $20 a tire. Not only do you get road hazard warranty but you get lifetime balancing everytime you go in for your rotations, a good deal since most places charge $30 for one time balancing. One rotation at the dealer makes up the cost of the road hazard warranty.

As for the lifetime oil. I guess it's true but I'm more on the practical side of things. I would still change out the oil but not at 30K or some low mileage that the dealerships want just to pad their bottom line. I would think somewhere around 60K to 100K depending on how comfortable you feel. I'd go 60K for the **** people and definitely by 100K just to keep things running smooth.

I can also understand why some people won't do their own maintanence, it's a pain in the but and I'm sure some of you make so much money per hour that it's not worth the time to do it yourself. But I consider it a hobby and I really enjoy changing my own oil and putting in the perfect amount of oil in the car, without the usual overfill or underfill that dealers do.
Old 01-03-08, 04:18 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

It is for this very reason that I included service with my deal when I bought my Lexus. I have 2 years or 25,000 miles free service included. Granted, I probably have to watch them like a hawk to make certain they do at least the minimum since it is for "free"...
Old 01-03-08, 04:43 PM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub
How much are you guys paying for your 15K service? We were quoted a price of $295 from Lexus of Valencia, which seems abnormally high. According to the maintenance calculator on Edmunds, the service should be $172.62 before taxes. WTF?
Wow. Rounding, I paid $127, BUT, I purchased and installed the cabin and engine air filters myself; that brings the total cost to $198. I did not have the filters replaced at 10K.
Old 01-04-08, 04:20 PM
sdub74
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub
I can't believe the swings in price. We have a Toyota dealership up here, so I may give them a call.....as well as Lexus of Glendale.
I've been getting all my service done at Lexus of Thousand Oaks. I had the 30k done recently, which was ~$400 But all of the other service visits have only been ~$110 (5K-25K). But Thousand Oaks has always been the lowest cost in the area by far (I usually call Keyes in Van Nuys/Valencia, Vista in Woodland Hills, and once Jim Falk in Beverly Hills )

I think I called around for the 15K and got anywhere from $350-$110 for the same exact service. I think it's ridiculous that Lexus allows such variations between their dealers for routine maintenance. Every Lexus dealer should charge the same amount for the same service.
Old 01-04-08, 05:57 PM
Dodge2Dub
Rookie

Thanks for all of the information. We set-up an appointment with Glendale, but I'm going to give T.O. Lexus a call as well.
Old 09-30-09, 01:22 PM
bloomjlexu
Driver School Candidate

Default 15k service according to the manual in the car

Hey all, I am working to do the 15k check on fiance's car and all it says is oil change, check filters (cabin and air), and CHECK gear oil in the diff. My question is, how does one "check" the diff fluid? I can open it up and say, yes, there is fluid but that's about it. Does anyone know what the deal is with that? I am not paying for Lexus to bless an oil change.