IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Snow Trip Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 11:34 PM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so today was a very, very bad day.... I was feeling so confident in my IS, thinking why would anyone buy an AWD, or an RX. My IS was performing so well, sure soft snow was rubbing for 30 miles under my chassis, and the Traction Control/Stability Control was chiming like a song on the radio, but I thought everything was cool, after all I was on what was supposed to be a plowed highway. Then, I came upon an old Mercedes wagon that was stuck so I stopped, got out, and with another driver who had stopped to help spent the better part of an hour freeing the Merc. No cell service, only about 2-3 cars per hour passing by, and then I was stuck. I tried like crazy to dig myself out with no luck. Eventually a Toyota Previa mini van came along with some people who barely spoke English and they got stuck behind me.

So there I was stuck, with no cell service, trying for three hours to free myself and the Toyota. Plus, I was nervous because I didn't know if the Toyota people might decide I looked like a potential target due to my isolated situation. Needless to say it sucked because it was about 35 degrees, wet, and very frustrating. Eventually I got out and kept on the gas for another 20 miles of chassis rubbing snow until I reached my destination of the glorious Oregon city of Klamath Falls. Yes, the Klamath Falls where everyone drives pickups, there are no Lexus vehicles, let alone an IS350.

I made a big mistake and learned my lesson. Some snow OK, 2 Feet of powder = bad.
Attached Thumbnails Snow Trip Today-dscf0950.jpg  
Old 01-11-08, 08:48 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For all the RWD is250's and 350's, I would like to reccomend the Continental Extreme Contact tires with the "Sharkfin" technology. I went through two sets on my gen one IS over 4 years and loved them. The reason why i went through the tires so much was stop and go rush hour. They have a 400 treadware rating. Those tires stick to the ground in snow and rain. I will buy them for my gen two when the Dunlops wear out.
Old 01-11-08, 08:49 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofan2
OK, so today was a very, very bad day.... I was feeling so confident in my IS, thinking why would anyone buy an AWD, or an RX. My IS was performing so well, sure soft snow was rubbing for 30 miles under my chassis, and the Traction Control/Stability Control was chiming like a song on the radio, but I thought everything was cool, after all I was on what was supposed to be a plowed highway. Then, I came upon an old Mercedes wagon that was stuck so I stopped, got out, and with another driver who had stopped to help spent the better part of an hour freeing the Merc. No cell service, only about 2-3 cars per hour passing by, and then I was stuck. I tried like crazy to dig myself out with no luck. Eventually a Toyota Previa mini van came along with some people who barely spoke English and they got stuck behind me.

So there I was stuck, with no cell service, trying for three hours to free myself and the Toyota. Plus, I was nervous because I didn't know if the Toyota people might decide I looked like a potential target due to my isolated situation. Needless to say it sucked because it was about 35 degrees, wet, and very frustrating. Eventually I got out and kept on the gas for another 20 miles of chassis rubbing snow until I reached my destination of the glorious Oregon city of Klamath Falls. Yes, the Klamath Falls where everyone drives pickups, there are no Lexus vehicles, let alone an IS350.

I made a big mistake and learned my lesson. Some snow OK, 2 Feet of powder = bad.
Nice, I love playing in snow.

My friend has a WRX and we had so much fun in that thing in snowy conditions like yours!
Old 01-11-08, 09:22 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Spray the panel with Pam.

Koz