IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Problems with a dealership what do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 06:15 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Too bad other states dont accept the same California Lemon Law. I believe its 3times(Lexus told me 4) with the same problem and it cannot be fixed, the dealers will buy the car back.
Old 01-03-08, 06:22 PM
360LexusEs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]the thing is you signed and took delivery of the vehicle on a "promise" that all these imperfections would be fixed. now it's kinda hard for you to get them to do anything. i hope you have their promise in writing./QUOTE]

Hard to get them? Yea right, its not like they are denying the fixes, they are doing them and then messing them up, I brought the thing in 4 times, its all on record all the paper work, if there wasn't an issue they would not have accepted the car for repair in the first 4 times, the certified manager sold me the car, and had everything authorized all 4 times, I have copies of everything.
Old 01-03-08, 06:22 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you just need to contact the owner of the dealer and start there. if that doesnt work i would then contact lexus corp to get them involved. this car can be certified as it is and many cars are. most of these cars go in one door and out the other door and become certified. you basically are paying for the extended warranty...but the perks of it being backed by lexus and not a 3rd party.

i would say you need to decide on how much you are set on this car. at this point i think i would take the car back and cancel the deal. go to another dealer to find a similar car or as many have said maybe you can find a better deal on an 07 and purcase the extended warranty!!! "or" put the owner of the dealer you purchased from to put you in a new 07 car and start all over. they owe you!!! you dont owe them!

i really hope this turns for the better for you! its a great car and such a shame you had to go thru all this.
Old 01-03-08, 06:33 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You're in a really tough position having taken delivery of a clearly damaged car. The only thing you can do is dig in and don't take no for an answer. Good luck.

Based on the described condition of the car, it sounds like someone seriously beat the hell out of it. I would ask the dealer for additional warranty as a concession for what you're going through, and to address expected future issues with a car that was clearly not cared for very well.

This is one of those cars that had the sales guys ^5'ing after they dumped it - don't be afraid to give them hell on this. A letter from an attorney wouldn't be a bad idea at this point.
Old 01-03-08, 06:42 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had a complaint with a Lexus dealer I went to the Lexus website and contacted them by email. They got back to me the next day with a satisfactory answer. Clearly even amongst the "Elite of Lexus" dealers there is a huge difference in their ethics and tactics. In the end, I opted to stick with the honest dealership.
In response to Joeb 427 the car also had the preferred package and the HID headlights, etc. . Price included destination charges, etc. just not the taxes.
Old 01-03-08, 07:10 PM
360LexusEs
Driver

^^^ this dealership is the Best Lexus dealership on Long Island, its the whole reason I went there, a friend of mine purchased his GS there 7 years ago and has not had an issue, Its definitely an employee issue though this is just unacceptable, anyone that is not blind could have seen these problems, its clear they are rushing through the job I took the car in for Gods Sake and had it returned to me with an additional scratch! Definitely unprofessional, and I will be contacting corporate headquarters tomorrow, there is not enough time in my life to travel back and forth between the dealer only to be pissed off and stressed.
Old 01-03-08, 07:57 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My point about it being a CPO is that all those inspections should happen before the car was offered for sale. If it did not pass it had to be corrected before it became a CPO. Who did the inspections? Someone had to sign off on it. Since the CEL was not on the first time, how do you know they fixed rather then just cleared the code as I would think it was traded in with the problem. I would ask the dealer for the work orders on the car and the written inspections of it. There should be a bill from the service department for any parts that were put in. I would think there should be an initial inspection from day one. See if it mentions the CEL and what it was for. They keep all these records as they want to know if it would be worth it to make a car CPO or not. My TL was purchased by the dealer with the intention of making it a CPO. Once the sales department got the bill for the service the inspection said it needed the manager said no way. Sell as non-CPO.
Old 01-03-08, 08:30 PM
BucBaby
Pole Position

My experience with Lexus corporate was very strange. I had been told lots of good things from the people here about how helpful they were. The first person I talked to told me that they couldn't help me. I decided to try again. The second sent me to another area of Lexus that had nothing to do with my problem. The third person did something about my special order problem. If I had listened to the first person, and simply accepted her answer, I would still be without help. By the way, what she told me is that they don't like to get involved in car ordering problems, they like to leave it to the dealership. Needless to say, I got help with that in the end.

If you do finally call corporate, be ready to insist on help with this. I would call the owner of the dealership first, and then go there if it doesn't work out for you.

We originally tried to buy a 2006 6MT IS250 with 10,000 miles on it. They wouldn't come down enough for us. We ended ordering a new 2007 with Navigation for a couple of thousand more. Long story about how we are getting an '08, but needless to say, the used car route isn't always the best deal. In our case, they said the price was so high because they had invested quite a bit in it and the it was a "rare" Lexus.

Good luck. I hope that you get what you want.
Old 01-03-08, 08:36 PM
360LexusEs
Driver

[QUOTE]My point about it being a CPO is that all those inspections should happen before the car was offered for sale. If it did not pass it had to be corrected before it became a CPO. Who did the inspections? Someone had to sign off on it. Since the CEL was not on the first time, how do you know they fixed rather then just cleared the code as I would think it was traded in with the problem. I would ask the dealer for the work orders on the car and the written inspections of it. There should be a bill from the service department for any parts that were put in. I would think there should be an initial inspection from day one. See if it mentions the CEL and what it was for. They keep all these records as they want to know if it would be worth it to make a car CPO or not. My TL was purchased by the dealer with the intention of making it a CPO. Once the sales department got the bill for the service the inspection said it needed the manager said no way. Sell as non-CPO/QUOTE]

I just would like to note, the check engine light and traction control lights were not on when i purchased the car, nor were they on when the last 3 times at the dealership, this is the first time this has happened, i truly believe it has something to do with whoever they are using for the body work.
Old 01-04-08, 02:30 AM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

WOW!!! Well....I'm not to sure how you guys handle things down there, but here in Hawaii we got something called a "Lemon Law" which I think most states should have. If you were to take your car to the shop for more then 3 times in one month, the dealer will give you a brand NEW car for the inconvenience . I'm not sure how they handle things down there, but thats pretty messed up for paying that much. Like I got my IS brand NEW for about $34k, but it isn't AWD. But, I mean, for you to go through all the hassle for a used car kinda bitez.
Old 01-04-08, 03:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
In response to Joeb 427 the car also had the preferred package and the HID headlights, etc. . Price included destination charges, etc. just not the taxes.
So you're telling us you bought a new '08 250 AWD with NAV,HID and preferred package for less than the $32800 360LexusEs paid for his Certified Lexus.
That's price is like a thousand under invoice on a purchase in Nov here in Jersey.
I find that very hard to believe unless you're a relative of the owner of the dealership.
Also why even bring that up to a guy who is going through hell on his purchase?
Old 01-04-08, 08:27 AM
360LexusEs
Driver

[QUOTE]So you're telling us you bought a new '08 250 AWD with NAV,HID and preferred package for less than the $32800 360LexusEs paid for his Certified Lexus.
That's price is like a thousand under invoice on a purchase in Nov here in Jersey.
I find that very hard to believe unless you're a relative of the owner of the dealership.
Also why even bring that up to a guy who is going through hell on his purchase?/QUOTE]

Yea I don't believe that either unless like someone said you know the owner, they are selling a USED 2006 IS 250 AWD with Navi, HID's, with 22k on the odo, for 34k at the rockville centre Lexus NY go look it up, its on cars.com SO I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT, I don't understand the need to lie on the internet but I guess what ever floats your boat. But on a side note, I filed a complaint with corporate headquarters and they will be getting back to me in 2 biz days, in the meantime I will not accept possession of my car until everything is situated, I refuse to make another trip to only have to bring the car back again, its just not happening. I'll keep everyone up to date
Old 01-04-08, 08:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The fact that they are willing to give you a loaner for a month seems promising, though. If they were just shady, they'd try to brush you off.
Old 01-04-08, 09:24 AM
360LexusEs
Driver

I called the dealership and informed them i filed a complaint through corporate, they explained that the reason the check engine light was on was an oil issue that automatically triggers the traction control issue, they are addressing on several Late Model Lexus's, the weather in NY was 16 degrees and as such brought the problem to a head, but its funny when I told one of the service people my exhaust pipes should not be shaking like that they said to me, no thats what the car does, I go really? So why is my loaner (another 2007 IS 250) not doing it? He paused for 2 min and said I'll have someone look at it (its obvious no one did) and now after speaking with them again, they said the reason for the shaking was the oil issue (which I still don't believe) I think someone forgot a clip or something, because when I was at the dealership the 4th time it wasn't shaking but the the check engine light was on, anyway more updates to come.

[QUOTE]
The fact that they are willing to give you a loaner for a month seems promising, though. If they were just shady, they'd try to brush you off/QUOTE]

Its like I said earlier everything was known from the day I picked up the vehicle, I'm taking it one step at a time at this point, If I have to A friend of a friend owned a Lexus dealership close by and knows the owners of the dealership I am dealing with, although that would be a last resort because In all honesty its not their issue, I would try and go that route.

Last edited by 360LexusEs; 01-04-08 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-04-08, 09:37 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kickin8
$32,872.86 for that kind of service? yikes!

You should have them to refund you $$$ and get a new one.....

Call the corporate office about your horror story....they will act faster than the dealer.....
yea im with him ... call corporate... wow that really sucks... i thought i had it bad cuz i had to haggle with prices...

Last edited by i3urton; 01-04-08 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Problems with a dealership what do i do?