IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Problems with a dealership what do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 10:28 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Cracked and dried out leather? Multiple scratches? Dents in the bumper? Faded dashboard? And you say the car had only 12,590 miles on it. It seems obvious to me that this car, even though it’s around a year old was not well cared for. Perhaps it was a rental car. Or maybe the previous owner drove the crap out of it. Certainly it was never garaged.

At any rate, I would have never agreed to buy such a car. There’s only so much a dealer can do and make even a modest profit on the sale of a used car. Now you’re in a spitting contest with them that may never be resolved to your satisfaction. You should have walked away from it and kept looking. If it's not too late, do that now.
Old 01-04-08, 10:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
Cracked and dried out leather? Multiple scratches? Dents in the bumper? Faded dashboard? And you say the car had only 12,590 miles on it. It seems obvious to me that this car, even though it’s around a year old was not well cared for. Perhaps it was a rental car. Or maybe the previous owner drove the crap out of it. Certainly it was never garaged.

At any rate, I would have never agreed to buy such a car. There’s only so much a dealer can do and make even a modest profit on the sale of a used car. Now you’re in a spitting contest with them that may never be resolved to your satisfaction. You should have walked away from it and kept looking. If it's not too late, do that now.
I don't think the dealer will take this car back at this point.The car was probably a loaner but I'm surprised a Lexus dealer would sell a car in that condition.The biggest surprise was after the OP complained about one tire being bad with three new tires,the dealer took the new tires off and put 4 used tires on.Very strange..
Old 01-04-08, 12:36 PM
360LexusEs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Cracked and dried out leather? Multiple scratches?/QUOTE]

it was a half an inch on the outside of the leather that was cracked and dried out, and there was a scratch on the door, but that was AFTER i brought the car in not before I took possession of it, it seems that every time I bring the car in for one thing whoever is working on the car messes something else up also in addition the majority of the scratches were on the plastic piece at all 4 doors on the floor not the actual door itself, I am talking about the plastics themselves, and if you own an IS you know the plastics in this car get marked up easily.
Old 01-04-08, 04:40 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

1-800-25-LEXUS

tell them what the $tealer did to you and see if you can get a refund.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 01-04-08, 04:58 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made a mistake on the price I paid. Sorry. It was $35,200.
Old 01-04-08, 05:20 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Question:

Why even take delivery when everything wasn't fixed? I would've refused it there. IF the car didn't meet your expectations when you drove off the lot, everything they're doing is really out of courtesy and should be (somewhat) applauded, since you de facto accepted the flaws when you drove off the lot.
Old 01-04-08, 06:19 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishman06
Question:

Why even take delivery when everything wasn't fixed? I would've refused it there. IF the car didn't meet your expectations when you drove off the lot, everything they're doing is really out of courtesy and should be (somewhat) applauded, since you de facto accepted the flaws when you drove off the lot.
Amen. I feel bad for the OP, but if the car had that many flaws I would have had them fix them before closing the deal, or have it in WRITING that they would be taken care of. Now, you are in a pi**ing match with them, and we know who will win. Buyer beware!!
Old 01-04-08, 09:51 PM
360LexusEs
Driver

[QUOTE]Amen. I feel bad for the OP, but if the car had that many flaws I would have had them fix them before closing the deal, or have it in WRITING that they would be taken care of. Now, you are in a pi**ing match with them, and we know who will win. Buyer beware!!/QUOTE]

First off,PLEASE READ BEFORE MAKING A COMMENT, IF YOU HAD READ EVERYTHING YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN THAT PROBLEMS STARTED TO ARISE AFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTER DROPPING THE CAR OFF TO HAVE ISSUES CORRECTED.

ITS A CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED CAR, WITH THAT SAID, ANY IMPERFECTIONS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FIXED BEFORE PICKING IT UP. NOT ALL OF THEM WERE, AND THE MANAGER AGREED TO CORRECT ANY FLAWS THE SAME DAY I PICKED IT UP, NOW FOR THE PEOPLE THAT DONT KNOW HOW TO READ************THERE WAS A SCRATCH ON THE DOOR WHILE BRINGING THE CAR IN FOR SERVICE, NOT I REPEAAAAAAAAAAAAAT NOT WHEN I INITIALLY PICKED UP THE CAR.****************

NEXT WHEN THEY DID RE PAINT THE BUMPER THEY DID A HALF ASSED JOB, AND CONTINUED TO CALL ME UP TO COME PICK UP THE CAR NOT FULLY INSPECTING THE JOB AFTER IT WAS DONE, INSTEAD WAITING FOR ME TO COME AND POINT THE CRAP OUT. NEXT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, AND TRACTION CONTROL *******ONCE AGAIN****CAME ON AFTER I REPEAT AFTER I BROUGHT IT IN FOR THE BUMPER, NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT WHEN I INITIALLY PICKED THE CAR UP.

[QUOTE][I made a mistake on the price I paid. Sorry. It was $35,200.QUOTE]

Yea and I doubt that included taxes, title, & reg. I paid 29750 for a 2007 certified pre-owned, with the luxury package, heated cooled seats, spoiler, 35% tinted windows, adaptive HID's, cargo net, trunk mat and wheel locks came to 32k which included taxes, title reg, and im sure yours was in the 38-39k range

Last edited by 360LexusEs; 01-04-08 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 06:39 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 360LexusEs

First off,PLEASE READ BEFORE MAKING A COMMENT, IF YOU HAD READ EVERYTHING YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN THAT PROBLEMS STARTED TO ARISE AFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTER DROPPING THE CAR OFF TO HAVE ISSUES CORRECTED.

ITS A CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED CAR, WITH THAT SAID, ANY IMPERFECTIONS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FIXED BEFORE PICKING IT UP. NOT ALL OF THEM WERE, AND THE MANAGER AGREED TO CORRECT ANY FLAWS THE SAME DAY I PICKED IT UP, NOW FOR THE PEOPLE THAT DONT KNOW HOW TO READ************THERE WAS A SCRATCH ON THE DOOR WHILE BRINGING THE CAR IN FOR SERVICE, NOT I REPEAAAAAAAAAAAAAT NOT WHEN I INITIALLY PICKED UP THE CAR.****************

NEXT WHEN THEY DID RE PAINT THE BUMPER THEY DID A HALF ASSED JOB, AND CONTINUED TO CALL ME UP TO COME PICK UP THE CAR NOT FULLY INSPECTING THE JOB AFTER IT WAS DONE, INSTEAD WAITING FOR ME TO COME AND POINT THE CRAP OUT. NEXT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, AND TRACTION CONTROL *******ONCE AGAIN****CAME ON AFTER I REPEAT AFTER I BROUGHT IT IN FOR THE BUMPER, NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT WHEN I INITIALLY PICKED THE CAR UP.
I did read your original post, and please DON'T SHOUT by using ALL CAPS. My point was all of these things should have been taken care of BEFORE you signed the papers. The dealer can be faulted for not doing their job before showing the car, and you were too trusting to believe they would take care of all the problems before you picked it up. We are all on your side and are trying to assist you in getting a good resolution, but your bargaining power has been lowered since you have paid for the car and took possession of it before complete satisfaction. Good luck.
Old 01-05-08, 10:01 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=360LexusEs;3169428]
Sorry, you can’t tell us that the cracked leather and faded dashboard suddenly appeared AFTER you dropped the car off to have issues corrected. That’s a whole year of neglect there, that the dealer couldn't have done in the short time they had the car.
Old 01-05-08, 11:38 AM
360LexusEs
Driver

^^^^^maybe if you would have read you would have noticed thats not my beef, that was already fixed, the point is I keep going back when they already have a list of things to fix and they forget to fix them call me up there only to apologize and tell me to give them a few more days I don't care how many times people keep saying its my fault for accepting the car thats bull*****, this is Rallye Lexus not Petes used auto sales, if someone has in writing that these things will be fixed, and the people in charge of fixing them keep forgetting, and by the time i get there i point out all the things that haven't been fixed, and then to add to the fact they cause more damage to the car themselves it has nothing to do with the initial sale thats just **** poor management, and half assed employees, theres no excuse, no b.s justification oh you picked the car up you shouldn't have accepted it, the manager agreed to correct any imperfections, the car was not in horrific condition, but the employees work is sloppy, that has nothing to do with the sale, or salesman it has to do with the people actually doint the work, bodyshop, tech's, and service employees for calling me only to find out the job has not been done correctly. Thats like someone taking their car in for an oil change and finding out the dipstick was never placed back in does that have anything to do with the initial sale? NO. It has to do with the employees. But I'm not going back and forth on here I know the deal, and I'll wait to hear from corporate.
Old 01-05-08, 03:46 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

[anti-flame on] My point in this post is not to place blame anywhere, but to educate all of us consumers on good business practices that prevent these situations. [anti-flame off]

this is Rallye Lexus not Petes used auto sales, if someone has in writing that these things will be fixed, and the people in charge of fixing them keep forgetting, and by the time i get there i point out all the things that haven't been fixed, and then to add to the fact they cause more damage to the car themselves it has nothing to do with the initial sale thats just **** poor management, and half assed employees, theres no excuse, no b.s justification oh you picked the car up you shouldn't have accepted it, the manager agreed to correct any imperfections, the car was not in horrific condition,
My initial point was that if you hadn't accepted delivery to begin with, you'd be in a much stronger bargaining position. The dealership would not have completed the sale, and the salesman who wants his commission would be all over the problems, not to mention the general manager and anyone else who finds out that the service department is holding up delivery of a vehicle.

but the employees work is sloppy, that has nothing to do with the sale, or salesman it has to do with the people actually doint the work, bodyshop, tech's, and service employees for calling me only to find out the job has not been done correctly.
Another case of the same problem: this is why you get a list of work performed when you pick up the car! Its your responsibility to make sure that the work you're paying for was performed! Check it before you leave, and don't leave if it isn't completed!
Old 01-05-08, 04:03 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Irishman06
[anti-flame on] My point in this post is not to place blame anywhere, but to educate all of us consumers on good business practices that prevent these situations. [anti-flame off]

My initial point was that if you hadn't accepted delivery to begin with, you'd be in a much stronger bargaining position. The dealership would not have completed the sale, and the salesman who wants his commission would be all over the problems, not to mention the general manager and anyone else who finds out that the service department is holding up delivery of a vehicle.

Another case of the same problem: this is why you get a list of work performed when you pick up the car! Its your responsibility to make sure that the work you're paying for was performed! Check it before you leave, and don't leave if it isn't completed!
Well put, and just to add, any Lexus dealer is really no different then "Pete's Used Autos". Their job is to move cars. From they sounds of it, they unloaded a well used loaner car on you and B.S.'d you to do it. Once ink touches paper on the contract you're done. Unless you got it in writing to fix the issues your screwed, and at this point the dealer is just being somewhat courteous by dealing with you, and waiting for you to stop whining and go away. At some point they might just tell you there is nothing more they can do with it and politely tell you that you bought a used car knowing the condition and send you on your way. It sucks but thats the truth of it.
Did you get gap insurance, maybe you need to have a "mysterious fire" on the highway caused by the fuel pipe tsib that was not performed??!!??
Old 01-05-08, 04:19 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Giggity
Did you get gap insurance, maybe you need to have a "mysterious fire" on the highway caused by the fuel pipe tsib that was not performed??!!??
I don't think fraud is anything we should be encouraging here. Let's stay ethical (and legal) here.
Old 01-05-08, 07:23 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

^^^^^maybe if you would have read you would have noticed thats not my beef, that was already fixed, the point is I keep going back when they already have a list of things to fix and they forget to fix them call me up there only to apologize and tell me to give them a few more days I don't care how many times people keep saying its my fault for accepting the car thats bull*****, this is Rallye Lexus not Petes used auto sales, if someone has in writing that these things will be fixed, and the people in charge of fixing them keep forgetting, and by the time i get there i point out all the things that haven't been fixed, and then to add to the fact they cause more damage to the car themselves it has nothing to do with the initial sale thats just **** poor management, and half assed employees, theres no excuse, no b.s justification oh you picked the car up you shouldn't have accepted it, the manager agreed to correct any imperfections, the car was not in horrific condition, but the employees work is sloppy, that has nothing to do with the sale, or salesman it has to do with the people actually doint the work, bodyshop, tech's, and service employees for calling me only to find out the job has not been done correctly. Thats like someone taking their car in for an oil change and finding out the dipstick was never placed back in does that have anything to do with the initial sale? NO. It has to do with the employees. But I'm not going back and forth on here I know the deal, and I'll wait to hear from corporate.
Whereas you questioned my ability to read English, I read your original post again. You first listed all the problems, including among other things the cracked leather seat and faded dashboard. That suggests to me, in my limited understanding of English, that those problems were part of your beef. Then you indicated the sales manager promised that everything would be fixed. I must assume again, that included the cracked leather and faded dash.

You now seem to say you want only certain items corrected, including any new damage they did while they had the car to fix specific items. Perhaps you could have made that more clear rather than saying they promised to fix everything.

The bottom line here is that you expected too much from the dealer in fixing all the car’s problems. If you can’t now rescind the sale, I suggest you just move on and pay for repairs at your own expense, and chalk it up to a lesson well-learned.

Quick Reply: Problems with a dealership what do i do?