IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

CD sounds MUCH better than ipod

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 08:44 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jejagua
In my opinion, the aux input slightly edges playing MP3's from CD's. However, this wasn't until I switched to a line-out cable instead of connecting to the iPod via the headphone jack. The line-out cable provides a cleaner and much higher volume output.

Although I have experimented with various bit rates, MP3's from CD's lack punch. I haven't tried a conventional audio CD.
You've got the closest to being right so far. Using the IPOD jack only provides left/right sound. Just like using headphones. If you buy a line-out cable or an aftermarket IPOD dock then the sound will be better than CD. But with what Lexus has gave us CD will always sound better.
Old 01-05-08, 09:47 AM
dsclar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy
If you buy a line-out cable or an aftermarket IPOD dock then the sound will be better than CD. But with what Lexus has gave us CD will always sound better.
I hate to disagree, but I don't see how an iPod playing mp3's can ever sound better than a CD if your talking about the same recording on both.

Last edited by dsclar; 01-05-08 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 12:52 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You've got the closest to being right so far. Using the IPOD jack only provides left/right sound. Just like using headphones. If you buy a line-out cable or an aftermarket IPOD dock then the sound will be better than CD. But with what Lexus has gave us CD will always sound better.
Are you saying that a line-out cable will enable the iPod to have more than two sound channels?
Old 01-05-08, 01:05 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never had an Ipod, and not that much of a music fan, 6 CDs are enough for me
Old 01-05-08, 01:40 PM
DevJ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my ipod tends to deliver more bass than CDs but in my opinion i prefer cds over my ipod
Old 01-05-08, 02:10 PM
tbs2
Driver School Candidate

1. Use the adaptor instead of headphone outlet in your Ipod. Also use a slim and short cable to reduce resistance.
2. I personally think playing MP3 is better than regular cd tracks.
Old 01-05-08, 02:22 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tbs2
1. Use the adaptor instead of headphone outlet in your Ipod. Also use a slim and short cable to reduce resistance.
2. I personally think playing MP3 is better than regular cd tracks.
Better in what way, sound?

Either you don't buy very well produced music or you like the sound of heavy compression in digital audio because the process of loading songs onto an iPod degrades the quality ( a lot in some cases) from that found on commercial CDs. This is not my opinion but a simple mathematical fact.

Last edited by CRB; 01-05-08 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 02:47 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

You've got the closest to being right so far. Using the IPOD jack only provides left/right sound. Just like using headphones. If you buy a line-out cable or an aftermarket IPOD dock then the sound will be better than CD.
Um, line out is still going to be stereo. And the source is stereo to begin with, so I'm not at all sure what you're trying to say. The advantage of line out is that it provides a standard and stable signal that also bypasses the lousy headphone connector in the ipod, which has a poor amplifier and bad EQ.

In theory, a car dock would be the best route, assuming digital transfer and superior processing in the car's system relative to the ipod. Most would be hard-pressed to tell the difference though, especially on typical car speakers.
Old 01-05-08, 06:14 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

dunno if any one said this but aac is way better quality than mp3...
Old 01-05-08, 06:21 PM
el3ctone
Pole Position

If you ask an audiophile the ipod is no where close to being good, neither is the ML system. I was told the "perfect" system would have what is called a "flat response", which i was also told is hard to acheive. But "good" to most people, nowadays that i know is lots of treble, and lots of bass, and a slight midrange.
Old 01-07-08, 01:46 AM
Qsmooth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jejagua
In my opinion, the aux input slightly edges playing MP3's from CD's. However, this wasn't until I switched to a line-out cable instead of connecting to the iPod via the headphone jack. The line-out cable provides a cleaner and much higher volume output.

Although I have experimented with various bit rates, MP3's from CD's lack punch. I haven't tried a conventional audio CD.
Do you plug this in the armrest cig adapter (will it fit the tight space?) or the ashtray cig adapter?
Old 01-07-08, 06:58 AM
Electric
Pole Position

I was worried when I read all this that my Ipod would sound like poo in my IS but to be honest, I cant even hear a difference. I got a thick black cable from Radioshack to hook up my Ipod and it sounds fantastic!
Old 01-07-08, 07:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea i always try to find 196/320 bit rates on mp3s, in case I have to convert them to CD
Old 01-07-08, 07:41 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 775 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by isduong350
i agree with you on that hapaboy! i have the Sik adapter and it sounds great with my ML system.
Another the sik adapter is awesome
Old 01-07-08, 07:46 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The quality of the MP3 player does matter as well. I have tested the Micorsoft Zune, IPOD and other mp3 players in the IS. The cheaper models(especially the flashdrive sized) sound bad as they have a cheaper internal amplification.

Quick Reply: CD sounds MUCH better than ipod