IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmission service....Has anyone done it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 07:40 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Transmission service....Has anyone done it yet?

Took my car to the dealer the other day. The dealer said I should have the tranny service at 30,000 miles (which is what I have now) for $99.00. Do you think I should do it now or wait? I know with other vehicles you usually change the fluid 1st at 30,000 and then every 15,000 miles, but don’t know what I should do. As stated below by Lobuxracer in another thread, there is no scheduled service. I do most maintenance work myself, but don’t know if is worth me doing, or if it should be done now. It just doesn’t feel right to not change the fluid as I have with other vehicles and then have to replace the tranny after my 100,00 mile warranty is up because I did not change the fluid often.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There are two drain plugs under the transmission. One is for the oil level, the other is to drain the pan (only.) That's why it's only 1.8 quarts. The fluid is the new WS stuff. The fill is on the side about halfway up.

There is no scheduled service for this either. Not too exciting from a longevity standpoint.

Last edited by WhatYaGot; 01-07-08 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-05-08, 09:41 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do it.

I don't believe in life time fluid and a tranny that doesn't need to be serviced. If a tranny
Old 01-05-08, 11:09 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's supposed to be a sealed transmission with lifetime fluid. What exactly is the dealer going to do for $99?
Old 01-05-08, 11:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oblivionis
It's supposed to be a sealed transmission with lifetime fluid. What exactly is the dealer going to do for $99?
He uses this machine to check if the tranny fluid is still "within spec." In other words, he checks with a meter to see if the fluid is "clean."

When the machine says that it's clean (and believe me, it will be), he then charges you $99.

That's it...
Old 01-06-08, 11:41 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not a service item for a reason. If you feel like tipping your dealer $100, then do it, but this is an unncessary service that they've added for pure profit.
Old 01-06-08, 11:50 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

No transmission is truely "sealed". There has to be a way to drain/refill. Might not be your conventional method but there is a way. They say that so you wont mess with it.

When my car reaches 30-40k miles. I will post up how to change the tranny fluid.

I'm surprised no one has posted a DIY to change the tranny fluid on the IS. I have seen many members posting 50k+ miles on there IS. This is time to change the fluid.
Old 01-06-08, 12:20 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
He uses this machine to check if the tranny fluid is still "within spec." In other words, he checks with a meter to see if the fluid is "clean."

When the machine says that it's clean (and believe me, it will be), he then charges you $99.

That's it...
Yuup. The ECT "brain" (you may recognize it from the "PWR" switch) monitors the transmission fluid parameters contiunuously and prevents conditions from becoming too hazardous. This is why when you start up on a cold morning it doesn't let you go past 4th gear until the fluid reaches operating temperature.
Old 01-06-08, 12:23 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
No transmission is truely "sealed". There has to be a way to drain/refill. Might not be your conventional method but there is a way. They say that so you wont mess with it.

When my car reaches 30-40k miles. I will post up how to change the tranny fluid.

I'm surprised no one has posted a DIY to change the tranny fluid on the IS. I have seen many members posting 50k+ miles on there IS. This is time to change the fluid.
I imagine the fluid can purged out through the cooler line and pumped in at the trans.
Old 01-06-08, 01:51 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

From the Maintenance supplement of your owner's manual:

Transmission
Inspect each transmission component
for signs of leakage. If you discover
any leakage, have it repaired immediately
by a qualified technician.
Note: The transmission and transmission
fluid are a completely sealed unit.
Therefore, periodic checks and
replacement of the transmission fluid
are not required, and there is no dipstick
on the transmission. Any repairs
that require adding or replacing fluid
should be performed by a qualified
technician following procedures in
Lexus service and repair publications.
Additionally, none of the listed service intervals (through 150,000 miles) involve any sort of a "check" on the transmission fluid. If it does fail, you could feasibly sue TMC for the costs incurred and win, because the fluid check was not "advised".
Old 01-06-08, 02:52 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irishman06
From the Maintenance supplement of your owner's manual:

Additionally, none of the listed service intervals (through 150,000 miles) involve any sort of a "check" on the transmission fluid. If it does fail, you could feasibly sue TMC for the costs incurred and win, because the fluid check was not "advised".
If you read the factory Owners Manual Supplement, the service interval for replacing the automatic transmission fluid is every 60K. Also, the service interval for "check" is every time the car is serviced. This means that the factory recommended interval for checking the trans. fluid is ever time you have the oil changed.
Old 01-06-08, 02:58 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350jet
If you read the factory Owners Manual Supplement, the service interval for replacing the automatic transmission fluid is every 60K. Also, the service interval for "check" is every time the car is serviced. This means that the factory recommended interval for checking the trans. fluid is ever time you have the oil changed.
Can you prove this? I pulled those quotes from the Maintenance supplement. The 30k intervals lists "Automatic transmission -- inspect for leakage." Nothing else.
Old 01-06-08, 03:03 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Instead of guessing whether the dealer has to check or change the transmission fluid, can someone post the proper way to completely drain (dropping the pan) and filling the tranny with WS fluid??
Old 01-06-08, 03:30 PM
MJB_LEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by gsrthomas

gsrthomas,

After looking at high wear numbers from a "Sealed" BMW tranny with 70K miles as well as other "Sealed" units with high wear, (over at Bob is the Oil Guy), I tend to agree with you about this. The funny thing is that my dealer is very adamant about 100K trans fluid changes for the IS. I am planning to insist on having it done ak 50K intervals (along with the coolant). I plan to "drive it 'till the wheels fall off", so I don't mind paying a few bucks for an infrequent service (3 yrs for me) to have some piece of mind.

Maybe I'll do it myself if you post a DIY. I do my own oil changes, which are very easy on this car.

Mike
Old 01-06-08, 04:12 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MJB_LEX
gsrthomas,

After looking at high wear numbers from a "Sealed" BMW tranny with 70K miles as well as other "Sealed" units with high wear, (over at Bob is the Oil Guy), I tend to agree with you about this. The funny thing is that my dealer is very adamant about 100K trans fluid changes for the IS. I am planning to insist on having it done ak 50K intervals (along with the coolant). I plan to "drive it 'till the wheels fall off", so I don't mind paying a few bucks for an infrequent service (3 yrs for me) to have some piece of mind.

Maybe I'll do it myself if you post a DIY. I do my own oil changes, which are very easy on this car.

Mike
On the coolant note, Toyota-spec s-LLC (super-Long Life Coolant) is definitely good for 150k miles. Its like no other coolant out there.
Old 01-06-08, 06:31 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Isn't there a Transmission fliud filter on the 2IS? When I was on TIS last time it showed one. Could the transmission service be the replacement of this filter and the small amount of tranny fluid in the pan? If so that would explain the $99 charge.

Quick Reply: Transmission service....Has anyone done it yet?