IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Quiet Tire Recommendations? Stocks are noisey IMO

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 09:13 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scottina08
I think the goodyear F1 allseasons would be a good choice. I had them on my 99 3000GT SL and they were very good tires. Quiet...good in rain and light snow and excellent dry traction. they are available in IS sizes. Check out the tirerack.com
I went from the stock Dunlops to these F1's and I really like them. We just had a storm that went thru Southern Cali recently and the F1's held up incredibly well in extremely wet weather. Plus, I noticed very little road noise with these tires. Then again, I always have my music cranked up on the ML so I wouldn't notice road noise. LOL
Old 01-10-08, 11:01 AM
Sarorn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Michelin Pilot MXM4's. They're made for luxury touring vehicles, and they seem to be very quite and provide a comfy ride. Handling is great as well.
Old 01-10-08, 01:31 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

I'm planning on trying the Goodyear F1 Eagle summer's for my next set. I've heard good performance about them, but I have no idea about the noise level. Anyone here tried them? I'm talking about the summer tires, not all seasons btw.

The Bridgestones RE090 stock tires are as noisy as my winter tires. Oh and they suck in rain.
Old 01-10-08, 02:14 PM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

I vouch for the Toyo T1-Rs
Old 01-10-08, 02:20 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarorn
I use the Michelin Pilot MXM4's. They're made for luxury touring vehicles, and they seem to be very quite and provide a comfy ride. Handling is great as well.
these are OEM on my bros TSX they are not quiet at all especially when they get worn. Being OEM tires they are pretty much junk

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Pilot+HX+MXM4
Old 01-10-08, 02:25 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

RE050A/PP

http://productcat.bridgestonetire.co.../pp_777045.pdf
Old 01-11-08, 04:20 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Changed to the Michelin PS2 a few months ago and immediately noticed how
much quieter they are than the Bridgestone Potenza RE050 that came on the car.
Great performance too
Old 01-11-08, 05:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

anyone have direct experience with re050 pole positions, was thinking about these as my next set, hard choice b/t the goodyear F1 GS-D3. Both pricewise are pretty much identical
Old 01-11-08, 02:54 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard those Pole Positions are better than any of the other Bridgestones for 2nd IS but the reviews of the two other stock Bridgstone Potenzas was so poor that I am not confident on that brand now.

But after alot a research, i think I am gonna go with those GoodYear F1 GS-D3. Many reviews i have seen on this forum, tirerack and discount tire seem to be very good. Super Great for alot of wet and very good dry performance. And best of all, most say it is a very quiet tire.

18'' $971 shipped to GA from Tirerack...good too.
Actually $1075 installed at local Discount Tire. After included mounting and balancing...about the same.

My brother was actually find another set of Dunlop Sport Maxx for his IS. It really was a good tire to me, but i cannot wait.

Last edited by sirCharles; 01-11-08 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 03:01 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirCharles
I have heard those Pole Positions are better than any of the other Bridgestones for 2nd IS but the reviews of the two other stock Bridgstone Potenzas was so poor that I am not confident on that brand now.

But after alot a research, i think I am gonna go with those GoodYear F1 GS-D3. Many reviews i have seen on this forum, tirerack and discount tire seem to be very good. Super Great for alot of wet and very good dry performance. And best of all, most say it is a very quiet tire.

18'' $971 shipped to GA from Tirerack...good too.

My brother was actually find another set of Dunlop Sport Maxx for his IS. It really was a good tire to me, but i cannot wait.
You won't regret your decision. I loved those tires. Too bad they didn't offer them in 265/40s, else I would've gotten them again.
Old 01-11-08, 03:22 PM
350ripper
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just switched from the sportmaxx to the michelin PS2's. i think the ps2's are quite a bit better. more quiet, better handling
Old 01-11-08, 03:32 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah F1 and PS2 no regrets either way.
except a little $ for PS2 But Michelin name is like automatic confidence.
Both have great reviews on our cars.
Old 01-14-08, 09:24 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

OMG! Get the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics! I've had them on for the weekend (got them installed on Friday) and have driven about 200 miles so far. It's better than the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s! Granted, the tread doesn't look as cool, but I'd have to say that they're as grippy and more comfortable than the GS-D3s. My dad commented that the ride is much smoother in Asymmetrics.

They're brand new tires from Goodyear. Most places don't have them. I got them from America's Tire after showing a printout from Tire Rack. America's Tire called up Goodyear and ordered me a set right on the spot.

As a side note, if you get new rims and new TPMS sensors, make sure you write the ID numbers down before you mount the tires. I gotta take my car in today to have the tires removed, the IDs written down and then remounted. What a pain.
Old 01-14-08, 09:43 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Talk to the people at TireRack, they know what fits and is quiet.
Old 01-14-08, 10:46 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Most people who get their tires replaced with a different brand will say "wow - they're so much better/quieter/stickier/........etc, than my old tires" when, in fact, it is not the brand of tire but the difference between old worn out tires and brand new tires. The only real way to to compare tires is side-by-side, new and on the same model of car (much like tire rack do). Unfortunately, very few places do this for the lifetime of the tire.

So, I'm not sure it's possible to get a definitive answer to this question! My own experience has been that I find some tires that get a great rating on Tire Rack by customers (eg the Kumho AST) distinctly unimpressive, while tires that get a poor rating (eg Continental Conti Touring) have been fantastic!

Quick Reply: Quiet Tire Recommendations? Stocks are noisey IMO