Print Wikipost

longo lexus did not fix my blinking AFS light

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 01:27 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longo lexus did not fix my blinking AFS light

so yes, after lowering my car my AFS lights been blinking. i just got back from getting my 25k oil change and in the notes they said they cant do anything about the blinking light.

can someone throw me a bone over here please... who can fix this annoying blinking AFS dashboard light?!
Old 01-07-08, 01:37 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

what did u do to it when u lowered the car?

So far, lowering my car and a friend's car (3GS, basically the same as a 2IS) and we never touched the AFS.

Your AFS might be in the wrong position if you took it apart.
Old 01-07-08, 01:39 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by racinghart
so yes, after lowering my car my AFS lights been blinking. i just got back from getting my 25k oil change and in the notes they said they cant do anything about the blinking light.

can someone throw me a bone over here please... who can fix this annoying blinking AFS dashboard light?!
Why does lowering your car affect the AFS?
Did you tell the service department that's what happened? If so, why is it relevant? I'm just curious.....
Old 01-07-08, 01:44 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lowering a car can effect the AFS system depending on how the person installed the springs. It's very easy to knock that system out of place, which will trigger the AFS warning light.

The AFS module is located on the driver rear suspension, there are many pics and threads on this. Normally when you do suspension work, you shouldn't even touch it in any way and make sure it's back to it's original position before work was done.
Old 01-07-08, 02:21 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by pocky
Lowering a car can effect the AFS system depending on how the person installed the springs. It's very easy to knock that system out of place, which will trigger the AFS warning light.

The AFS module is located on the driver rear suspension, there are many pics and threads on this. Normally when you do suspension work, you shouldn't even touch it in any way and make sure it's back to it's original position before work was done.
Thanks for the clarification, I had no idea installing springs was so complicated. I learned something new today.
Old 01-07-08, 03:04 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

thanks pocky. yes i saw that but it was too late. is there a way to then adjust it to the right position now? or am i stuck
Old 01-07-08, 03:05 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You answer is on bullet #19 of the FAQ's which answer about 90% of the questions on this forum.

How do I get the AFS light to turn off after installing lowering springs? (Solution on page 3)

You will need to get you a setup or ramps or a jack and some jack stands.

The dealership will not correct this for you without charging you. I don't blame them either.
Old 01-07-08, 03:30 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

thank you combfilter! i will read and do this myself
Old 01-07-08, 07:36 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

AFS sensors work similar to TPS sensors. They have a 5 volt reference, ground and sensor leads. The sensor leads are usually at 2.5 volts when the vehicle is sitting level and balanced. If the vehicle is lowered this will be different (I don't remember which way it goes) and it will tell the beam level control system (part of AFS) to relevel the lights as its thinking the lights are too low. If the vehicle is lowered too low (1"+ drop) the ecu determines it as a faulty sensor and sets off the AFS light.

If you need to adjust the sensors do so with a digital-volt-ohm meter. A Fluke 23 is a rather inexpensive meter and is well worth the investment. You will need to do the adjustment with the vehicle's suspension loaded and that is somewhat of a challenge on a lowered car. I'll try to take a picture for you guys tomorrow and post the info you need to properly perform your beam level sensor adjustment. The IS300s also have this system (no AFS) and no one ever messes with the sensor height when the vehicle is lowered instead they simply misadjust the mechanical beam level adjustment and now both the beam level motor and the mech. beam level adjusters are at the limits and the beam is still not where it should be.

-Joe