IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How long did you leave your new plate on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 09:56 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

if u want the "fake plate" to get around stuff....think twice

http://www.ktvu.com/news/15009195/detail.html
Old 01-09-08, 10:29 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
Perhaps this is off the topic here, but I hate those cheap dealer provided frames that advertise the dealership. I take them off as soon as the permanent license plates arrive. I think the car looks cleaner with no frames at all. I certainly don’t want to give the dealer free advertising.
Agree 110%. I absolutely refuse to drive around with a cheap dealer plate frame. I do find it amazing that on this site you have many people who extensively mod their car with performance and visual knick knacks yet still run with the cheap plastic dealer frames. I never can figure that one out.
Old 01-09-08, 10:54 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do these plates look like???? Any pics??
Old 01-09-08, 11:08 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Near as I can figure the license plate sized dealer inserts have not been paper for a very long time. They are printed (I have seen them screen printed) on thin plastic substrate and then die cut into the shape of a standard license plate. Often bright colors are used and they even say things like "I got MINE from XXX Ford", or "You won't get a lemon from XXX Toyota".

I have my original "paper" ones that came on my 1970 Plymouth when I bought it 38 years ago. Still have the car too. Been offered some serious $ for them. Go figure.

My neighbor has gone almost 3 years with the plastic new car dealer plate on her Mercedes. It is now crumbling from all those years of exposure to the sun. It'll be fun to see what she does now.
Old 01-09-08, 11:15 AM
cneeley
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took off the paper dealer plates right away... so currently my car has no plates at all. In cali the paper dealer plates carry new useful information except advertising where you bought the car. All the information is in a sticker that is placed on your windshield.
Old 01-09-08, 11:15 AM
cmdace18
Driver

I got my plates from my dealer 2 weeks after picking up my car. I put them on right away.
Old 01-09-08, 11:17 AM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

It's been a year and a half for me and still counting... but no cheap plastic dealer plates for me... I'm planning on putting my plates on soon.
Attached Thumbnails How long did you leave your new plate on?-2_ds_lexplate.jpg  
Old 01-09-08, 11:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ive seen instances where haters target new cars that have temp plates on them and key/vandalize them, so thats another reason why I wanted real plates ASAP. Because they want to **** off someone that just got a new car, pretty pathetic
Old 01-09-08, 01:09 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

I see a lot of you guys think were doing it to be cool or somthing. Let me at least try to explain why i have not put them on.

The plates I have are plastic so they are still looking brand new. I would not have some old moldy paper plates sitting on my car for that long.

and frankly i don't give a **** what people think, let them think i have a new car or a old pos, I really don't do it for them. We have tons of those intersection cameras here where I live and their a pita. 2nd I do not want to drill holes in my front bumper for my front plates and as long as I have papers on, cops wont pull me over to harass me for not having the fronts on.

Originally Posted by Evitzee
This world is a goofy place with people keeping paper tags on for years just so they can beat red light or speed cameras, or are just too lazy to put their permanent plates on. It also makes your hit and run accident victims more difficult to track you down, too.

My dealer called me about two weeks after I got my car, I went in and got them, and put them on myself. Frankly, I don't quite see the glamour in driving around with old, inevitably wet and soggy, paper plates. It has a distinctively 'trailer trash' feel to it, but if it fulfills some inner desire in you, go ahead. Here in TX your name is on the paper plates. It isn't information I want every nut job to have just by walking up to the back of the car and looking.

It is kind of reminiscent of when people used to leave the Monroney sticker on the window for a year or two so the neighbors would be sure to notice that you had a new car. It would get yellow and nasty looking, but people would still keep it on the window. Haven't seen that done in years, so maybe the 'permanent' paper plate caper is a substitute for that.

Last edited by javyLSU; 01-09-08 at 05:57 PM. Reason: language
Old 01-09-08, 01:17 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
I see a lot of you guys think were doing it to be cool or somthing. Let me at least try to explain why i have not put them on.

The plates I have are plastic so they are still looking brand new. I would not have some old moldy paper plates sitting on my car for that long.

and frankly i don't give a **** what people think, let them think i have a new car or a old pos, I really don't do it for them. We have tons of those intersection cameras here where I live and their a pita. 2nd I do not want to drill holes in my front bumper for my front plates and as long as I have papers on, cops wont pull me over to harass me for not having the fronts on.
+1 for that. Having front plate is plainly too ugly for the car...without the front plates, it gives the car a cleaner look too. Also, having the dealer paper plate doesnt mean you need to advertise their plates, you can change them like shoganai did. I wish i still have the dealer paper plates....

Last edited by javyLSU; 01-09-08 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 05:34 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I know its not the same but I purchased a new motorcycle back in mid October and I still haven't received the license plate from the DMV. I even called them last week and they said the plate was sent out on New Years Eve. I asked DMV if the plate gets sent to me and they said it does. I noticed here that most people say the plates got sent to the dealership.
So who is correct??
Old 01-09-08, 07:41 PM
tshek
Pole Position

That's why I like FL. Front plate is not require. ^_^
Old 01-09-08, 08:07 PM
kentutz
Driver School Candidate

Well not only to avoid those traffic cameras.. but also FREE tollway =)
Old 01-09-08, 09:01 PM
jekyl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
if u want the "fake plate" to get around stuff....think twice

http://www.ktvu.com/news/15009195/detail.html
^^^
That's lame. I got caught at a tollbooth without any cash after I bought my 08 in Concord. I got out of it because I didn't have plates.
Old 01-09-08, 09:23 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kentutz
Well not only to avoid those traffic cameras.. but also FREE tollway =)
So you go free while everyone else pays your share?

Quick Reply: How long did you leave your new plate on?