IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Another Tpms Solution.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 01:31 PM
SlickRSM
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering this myself any pics where did they go?
Old 05-26-09, 11:01 PM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

yeah where's the pics? Anyone remember which side the spacer goes on? and which hole the spacer covered up? If you know please let me know and I'll upload some pics.
Old 05-31-09, 07:48 PM
Is300M.Q.
Driver

I just took my gauge cluster out and covered the 2 idiot lights with a piece of electrical tape behind the cluster. And hit the seatbelt light while I was at it.
Old 06-01-09, 02:31 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't your screen still say low tire?
Old 06-01-09, 06:01 AM
Is300M.Q.
Driver

^yeah but you can still hit dis and see what you wanna see. The other lights are annoying especially at night.
Old 06-01-09, 12:30 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What’s more annoying is a blow-out at 70mph from a underinflated tire you didn’t know about.
Old 06-02-09, 06:19 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Just to let you guys know, this solution works perfectly. Mad props to the OP who thought of this. You just have to make sure the zip ties are tight. Covering the warning lights is ok, but then it's annoying when the HUD keeps reverting to the "Check System" text when you want to be looking at the temperature or MPG, or in my case, a nice "F" logo.

As for blow outs... yes it's nice to have a warning, but by the time the system tells you that something's wrong, you should already notice that the car is not driving straight and pulling. If you are unaware of the way the car drives, then no system can help you.
Old 06-02-09, 07:33 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

In the past two months, I've had three separate nails in my rear tires. Looking at the tires, I would have never known they were low on air - they looked exactly the same as they do when fully inflated. The ONLY REASON I knew they were low on air was the TPMS warning I got on the dashboard, which saved me from driving on and most certainly ruining my wheels. Please please please run your TPMS - you paid for them, and with iForged selling the set of TPMS adapters for as cheap as $35, there's really no reason not to.

Javier
Old 06-02-09, 10:02 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by primecut
As for blow outs... yes it's nice to have a warning, but by the time the system tells you that something's wrong, you should already notice that the car is not driving straight and pulling. If you are unaware of the way the car drives, then no system can help you.
I certainly agree with javyLSA above. My own personal experience was two years ago on a hot day on a freeway when my TPMS light went on. I pulled over to inspect the tires and saw nothing. They all looked properly inflated. I limped home at a reduced speed and checked the tires with a gauge. Sure enough, my left rear was down 7 psi. The tire shop found a nail in that tire next morning and repaired it. Had I not had the TPMS warning I could have had a serious accident caused by an underinflated tire.

Trust me; you may not have the time. It can happen without any visual clue or warning-- no pulling or handling changes. In fact, that’s the whole reason a federal law was passed to require TPMS. Remember the SUV’s with Firestones a few years ago that caused a multiple fatal rollovers? This is the new safety requirement that some of us foolishly bypass.
Old 06-03-09, 09:54 AM
Is300M.Q.
Driver

Originally Posted by Magellan
What’s more annoying is a blow-out at 70mph from a underinflated tire you didn’t know about.
I dunno about you but Ive owned enough cars to know you dont need tpms. If there is a nail in your tire you should be able to hear it or you should be able to feel the car to be a bit mushy. If its a serious leak/blowout Tpms wouldnt help anyways. Its a luxury that does have its benefits. But definitely not needed.
Old 06-03-09, 10:25 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Is300M.Q.
I dunno about you but Ive owned enough cars to know you dont need tpms. If there is a nail in your tire you should be able to hear it or you should be able to feel the car to be a bit mushy. If its a serious leak/blowout Tpms wouldnt help anyways. Its a luxury that does have its benefits. But definitely not needed.
Perhaps you didn’t read my post where I described how I did not hear, see or feel anything prior to nor after the TPMS light. Furthermore, it did help in that I slowed down from 70mph on a hot LA freeway to limp home. Who knows what would have happened had I not had TPMS?

As for owning enough cars, I probably have owned more than you. I started driving in the fifties. Back then we didn’t have air bags, seat belts, padded dashes, collapsible steering columns, dual brake lines, anti-lock brakes, third brake lights, and of course TPMS. I survived all those deficiencies. Does that mean they were not needed? No, it only means I was lucky, and the decrease in accident and fatal injury rates in recent years proves that.

I still don’t understand how some of us choose to roll some dice for the sole purpose of having aftermarket rims that do not support TPMS when there is a multitude of rims to select from that do.
Old 06-03-09, 11:48 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Even if you want to run non-TPMS compatible wheels, it's more an issue of being lazy or cheap. With the resources available on the market, this is far too easy an issue to solve especially when considering the consequences.

Javier
Old 04-07-10, 02:48 PM
kevenhang
Pole Position

Agreed TPMS is good but some wheels aren't cheap and they still not compatible like Volks...plus where are the pics on the first page
Old 04-07-10, 05:17 PM
marshjr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Even if you want to run non-TPMS compatible wheels, it's more an issue of being lazy or cheap. With the resources available on the market, this is far too easy an issue to solve especially when considering the consequences.

Javier
I completely agree Javier, and am having this debate right now as I am waiting for my Work SC1 to arrive. A question I didn't even think of asking was if these wheels are TPMS compatible? (possibly using the iForged adapter?)

There are certainly enough CL members rolling on SC1's - can any of you chime in on your TPMS solutions with this particular wheel?

Thanks (and yeah, those pics on page one would be great)
Old 04-07-10, 06:48 PM
iivietnami
Pole Position

I'm stupid.. Pictures would be nice
........ Thanks alot

Quick Reply: Another Tpms Solution.