IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help!! headlight have water droplets

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 05:23 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help!! headlight have water droplets

I just came back from car wash and found out that inside only my driver side headlight has little droplets in them!!!! I installed my aftermarket HID like 2 weeks ago and today is the first time this has happen. I checked that the rubber gromets are still in place and the covers are sealed. Any1 knows a quick way to fix it? I have tried leaving the hid with the high beam on but the bottom and the low beam side of the headlamp still has water droplets...it doesnt go away. Any1 has the same problem and knows a quick fix to this situation?? Will this go away naturally? Any downside of these?? Thanks!
Old 01-09-08, 05:35 PM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

park it in the sun tomorrow and then check them out.....something is leaking and causing condensation.
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The same thing happened to me.

Take off the covers and let the condensation evaporate. Unfortunately, this works better in warmer weather. If you can, garage your car and use a heater (a blowdryer will also do the trick); but it will take time.

Good luck!
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thing is, when you remount the cover you really really need to get a flashlight and make sure the tabs are slotted correctly AND as we all know, driver side is a *female dog*
Old 01-09-08, 05:45 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

thanks guys...well i see that the cover are all properly placed...so should i take the cover off and wait till tomorow? if the moist is gone by then should i leave the cover off for a while or put the cover right back on? i dun own a garage, so i cant really heat it up. If i use a blowdry, where do i blow it? Outside or inside?
Old 01-10-08, 02:28 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I had bad moisture after an HID instal in June (Humid Chicago). I realized the moisture was coming in from the harness loom and I caulked that. It never came back. To get moisture out of the lights quickly (5 minutes), remove the high beam bulb and place the hair dryer on high in the hole. it works best to take the low beam bulb out to release the water vapor out of. The driver side is a bit trickier even with the washer fluid refil tube removed.
Old 01-10-08, 03:31 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

okay. So i took the cover out last night and this morning it seems fine...the condensation was gone...however!!!! about hours later (eating, shopping) they REAPPEAR!!! wad did i do wrong? I clipped the cover on when i saw the condensation dissappear this morning. Something wrong with the headlights? anything unsecure? the rubber thing seems to be in place.i dun know why!!
Old 01-10-08, 05:10 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by radicalrev
okay. So i took the cover out last night and this morning it seems fine...the condensation was gone...however!!!! about hours later (eating, shopping) they REAPPEAR!!! wad did i do wrong? I clipped the cover on when i saw the condensation dissappear this morning. Something wrong with the headlights? anything unsecure? the rubber thing seems to be in place.i dun know why!!
You might want to check the housing for cracks in the glass or somewhere else. If the seals are fine, then chances are there's a leak somewhere else. You have DIY HIDs, right? Check the seals for the grommet where the wires come out.

There's one thing you can try... this is just a theory, so I'm not responsible if something happens. Condensation suggests that there's moisture in the air inside the headlight and that the air outside the headlight is cooler than the air inside. When the water in the air inside the headlight touches the glass, it turns to water droplets.

I'm sure that the bulbs can take extreme heat, but I would suggest doing this in the morning or during the day when you haven't used them. Take a blow dryer. Be careful not to melt any of the plastic, but run warm/hot air through the headlight. The hot air should have little to no moisture, so basically, you're pushing all the "wet" air out of the headlight and and the dry air in. Do that for a few minutes, then seal it while you're still blowing the hot air in. That should keep the air inside free of moisture so you won't have the condensation problem.

I haven't had any problems with my HIDs, condensation or otherwise.
Old 01-10-08, 05:12 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Oops. Stupid me for not reading the rest of the posts in the thread. Everyone else's suggestions are the same. Did you try those?

If you remove the cover, you're equalizing the air moisture inside and outside of the headlight, so you won't see condensation. The minute you seal it again, there's going to be a moisture difference depending on the weather. That's why you need to run the blow dryer.
Old 01-10-08, 05:50 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

okay, after shopping for 3 15 foot extension cable, i finally got it done. I blow dried the headlights, removing the highbeam like brian said and finally after 10-20 mins of blow drying, the condensation dissapears. Seal the whole thing nice and tight and park my car outside, going to check it soon when going to school if condensation re-appear...thanks for the help guys! appreciated!
Old 01-10-08, 09:44 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Okay..the CONDENSATION REAPPEAR!!! omgggggg...wad to do now???
Old 01-11-08, 08:14 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

These headlights have a spot on the bottom of them that basically traps water and is hard to see. You may have to blow dry out the water more. I should have asked, did you drill through the back covers on the lowbeam housing? If so, you should make sure your caulk job is good. I had the moisture stop after I caulked the harness twin going into the lights. It is a very irritating process, but you will get the moisture out.
Old 01-11-08, 09:16 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

I had the same problem too. I tried everything and made sure I resealed everything correctly but the condensation kept reappearing. I uninstalled my HIDs and took my car into the dealership and they replaced the entire headlight assembly under warrenty. So there could be a chance that you have a defective headlight...
Old 01-11-08, 03:46 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

well, for 1 year this thing never happen b4...it just happens after one of the many car wash....should i just go back to the place where they install them for me? or should i uninstall the HID and bring it to the dealer? But my low beam cover has hole in it...

Also brian, yes the rubber gromats(dunno how to spell) is kinna loose, i think the hole is too big...but the thing is my passanger side doesnt get condensation...but only my driver side does...weird...(coz the passanger side is more loose than the driver's side)
Old 01-14-08, 09:29 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by radicalrev
well, for 1 year this thing never happen b4...it just happens after one of the many car wash....should i just go back to the place where they install them for me? or should i uninstall the HID and bring it to the dealer? But my low beam cover has hole in it...

Also brian, yes the rubber gromats(dunno how to spell) is kinna loose, i think the hole is too big...but the thing is my passanger side doesnt get condensation...but only my driver side does...weird...(coz the passanger side is more loose than the driver's side)
It's not so much about loose or not loose. It also depends on how the rubber grommet sits, how taut the wire is, etc. Sounds like the people who did your install did a bad job. If it wasn't too long ago, take it back to the shop and complain. Get them to pay for new covers and redo the drilling with a smaller bit. Since the condensation only shows up after you did your HID, you most likely won't get anything from the dealer. Besides, it'd be dishonest. You voided the headlight portion of the warranty when you did the aftermarket HIDs. I knew that when I installed mine and assumed that risk.

Quick Reply: Help!! headlight have water droplets