IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just lost my IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 09:48 PM
GS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was going to get another vehicle, I would get a 3GS or IS-F. We love the GS350. The thing hauls butt for a V6 and a V8 would be overkill, plus the $8,000 bump up in price sucks. But it is a nice car and that 8 speed does sound nice. If I were you, I'd keep it in the Lexus family.

Just don't get a Boxster or a BMW 1 series. We had a Boxster S and it was a maintenance nightmare. And to tell you the truth, did not have near the luxury it should for a $65,000 car. It rode like ****, it wasn't super fast, etc. I'd go for the GS or the IS-F. Good luck and glad your wire is okay.
Old 01-11-08, 11:14 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

GS350 is definitely a nice choice, same engine as your IS350 and a slightly larger overall package, beneficial if you need a car with a decent back seat. IS-F would be a killer car, but I don't know if you could get it soon enough, same goes for the Audi S5 (dealer today told me it had a 4 month wait). If you want something small and not as luxurious you could also look at the new Subaru STI, I know it's completely different, but still something that has personally caught my eye.

I also 2nd looking at perhaps an alternative vehicle like someone else mentioned. Maybe an SUV? Don't know your needs though. I find it pretty nice to be able to have 2 separate cars. I have an Acura MDX with the Sport package and it has decent power and great handling.
Old 01-11-08, 11:39 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250SoCal
G37 coupe dont know much about these yet. Some good/bad reviews so far. You can save yourself a bundle and just buy a Nissan Altima coupe..... if your going for looks.

Audi S4 or S5 Probably my favorite pick. I would have bought this if I didnt buy my Lex.
Im guessing you have not even actually seen a G37 in person because they really look different from each other. Granted, the overall shape is similar, but difference otherwise are night and day. I will agree though, an S5 would be a great choice; another IS350 own just found himself in one as well.

Originally Posted by pbm317
IS-F would be a killer car, but I don't know if you could get it soon enough, same goes for the Audi S5 (dealer today told me it had a 4 month wait).

I also 2nd looking at perhaps an alternative vehicle like someone else mentioned. Maybe an SUV? Don't know your needs though. I find it pretty nice to be able to have 2 separate cars. I have an Acura MDX with the Sport package and it has decent power and great handling.
Im not so sure about that wait on the S5; I think it depends on your geographic location. The local dealer down the street from me had a few for sale at one point too, though they said they dont last but a couple days on the lot, which I can believe. The aforementioned member, was able to find a couple that were for sale in the past month or so I believe.

The OP also said the new needed to be about as fast as luxurious as his IS was, so Im not sure the MDX fits that bill...

With that said, you might check out the 335i. Before my g/f purchased her IS350 that was pretty much the only other car she was seriously considering. It's not quite as luxurious, but IMO the ride, feel and handling more than makes up for that - more and more lately I hear "Maybe I should have gotten the Bimmer." I can live without a lot of luxury items that some Lexus people are so fond of, as she is, so that's how she ended up in the IS.
Old 01-12-08, 09:02 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would get a LS! those things are pure sex!!!!
Old 01-12-08, 10:45 AM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

What about the new mercedes C350 sport? Or the new C63?
Old 01-12-08, 10:50 AM
GS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Irishman06
What about the new mercedes C350 sport? Or the new C63?
The reliability of Mercedes is questionable at best.
Old 01-12-08, 10:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RenaultOne
+1 chip for for an extra 40+ HP and 40+torque and your good to go. It is totally refined and you get FREE MAINTAINENCE FOR 4YEARS/50K MILES!!! but in all seriousness you should explore the car world outside of Lexus. Just give it a test drive.
you mean 4 oil changes + brakes + wipers, doesnt sound a lot when put that way. Dealer gave me 2 years of oil changes for buying my car
Old 01-12-08, 11:06 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Oh dear.....Tom, I'm soooooo sorry to hear about your IS.

There's nothing wrong with having 2 IS350, just get a different color. I've sold couples/families the same car before.

You should buy what you want, it doesn't matter what other peole think.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-12-08, 11:18 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

hm...a 335i coupe would be nice...a friend just installed the procede version 2 chip on his car and it is pretty fast. Don't know if it is as fast a the new Lexus IS-F...but still pretty easy to mod. Basically if you spend like 5 k extra for the chip and exhaust...you can make some noise on the BMW 335i. Also note that the IS-F starts at 56k so that is an option if you like the high performance without modding... Good Luck and glad your wife is okay.
Old 01-12-08, 11:19 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems to me as I hear and have read all about Mercedes and BMW that you better have a real big check book after the factory warranty expires. I generally keep my cars for 10 to 15 years (or longer) and I do not want the frustration of paying and paying and paying for the privilege of driving the "star" or the "airplane propeller" cars.

I know that Lexus cars will need maintenance too as they age but if my former experience with Toyota cars is any indication it won't be too bad. I do care for my cars fanatically.

All that said I'm leaning to not even going to look at Merc or BMW.
Old 01-12-08, 11:48 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

The Audi S5 must be selling well because the San Jose Auto Show did NOT have one even to look at, which surprised the hell out of me, so they must all be presold units or something. That was the one car that I really looked forward to seeing in the sheet metal. The IS-F was a boy racer-ish nightmare in person just like the pictures. That raised hood line (to take the big motor) really destroys the aesthetics of the L-finesse styling, all IMO, of course.
Old 01-12-08, 03:49 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Seems you have a fairly large budget, so I'll try to bring some up that haven't been.

Audi TT/convertible? A bit deficient in power but I like the dsign much more than the S5.

Maserati GT? The depreciation is horrid but the sounds it can make are magic.

SLK55 might be like a more modern version of the SC430 with an absolute hammer of a motor.
Old 01-12-08, 04:45 PM
GS350
Pole Position

Pricing was released today for the IS-F. Under $59K with nav
Old 01-12-08, 09:04 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350
Pricing was released today for the IS-F. Under $59K with nav
Yeah but I would have to have PCS as well. Couldn't have my wife with a more optioned car than mine.
Old 01-12-08, 09:24 PM
GS350
Pole Position

So $62K.

Quick Reply: Just lost my IS350