IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ISx50= freaking ding magnet!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 07:56 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts
Default ISx50= freaking ding magnet!!

Damnit...why do people always insist on dinging this car?!??

I've gotten 3 dings on the same side in the same rear passenger door area since I had this car and its a garage queen. I only drive this thing on weekends and roadtrips. It hardly sees parking lots and I still manage to get these dings.

First one was 2 weeks after I got the car with like less than 1k miles on it.

second one was at the stupid Lexus dealer.

And just got a new one the size of a penny on the same door and its missing paint! another wasted $40 to fix.

I hate these rear passengers who always swing the door wide open...most lilkely kids or drunken passengers.
Old 01-12-08, 08:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to the nice smooth look of new generation of cars without bodyside mouldings.
Looks great without them and not ding proof with them but they do stop most dings.
Old 01-12-08, 08:20 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Welcome to the nice smooth look of new generation of cars without bodyside mouldings.
Looks great without them and not ding proof with them but they do stop most dings.
Just wait till you get paint chips from on the front end of the car. i have 4 chips and a broken windshield. never saw the rocks!
Old 01-12-08, 08:39 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I usually park on the far right of a parking lot with the maximum possible distance to the next car and avoid parking in between cars. But sometimes I just couldn't avoid it. Fortunately no door dings yet...knock on wood.
Old 01-12-08, 08:53 AM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slee18
Just wait till you get paint chips from on the front end of the car. i have 4 chips and a broken windshield. never saw the rocks!
if you get a clear bra it can protect your front end from those rock chips
Old 01-12-08, 02:05 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

im very careful too but i just the choose the worse cars to park next to i guess or they choose me. I dont mind the chips on the front but dings i can't stand especially on black paint.

but I got it fixed today for $20 from my local dent wizard guy that I've used several times now.
Old 01-12-08, 02:15 PM
350ripper
Driver

don't even get me started! how about those damn trucks that haul gravel and improperly cover their loads. rocks every damn where.. i get so mad ^&%#^&#*&@!#^@#(*&#@*&$@#^&()#@&)(!@&*(@#)(&^#(&*^#*&(^#%^!@)!%^#$)(*#)(*&#&^@#
Old 01-12-08, 03:45 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
This is why I usually park on the far right of a parking lot with the maximum possible distance to the next car and avoid parking in between cars. But sometimes I just couldn't avoid it. Fortunately no door dings yet...knock on wood.
Funny thing is, I almost make a conscious effort to park between people, and I've had (knock on wood) zero dings in over a year. My last car has almost none, too.
Old 01-12-08, 03:47 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

i usually park by NO ONE, but who you ask how i got a door ding. Stupid shopping cart.
Old 01-12-08, 07:03 PM
Kayo
Rookie

ISX50 attracts people! I can tell you that I park far away. When I just got my IS350 mid November I went to get a coffee. Parked at the extreme end of the lot, which was totally empty.

Ran in to get the coffee's. In the interim some A$$ pulled up beside the car in a giant GMC suburban and proceeded to smack the passenger door into my car door.

My girlfriend got out and said "What the ##@#?". The guy shut his door, and opened it again with more force. They then laughed and went into the store.

When I returned she was distraught ... I looked for damage and there was none... but it was ridiculous.
Old 01-12-08, 07:12 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It's tied to social behavior somehow. People tend to park in groups, just like people travel in groups on the highway. I've seen it over and over again - I park in BFE, and when I come back out, there are five cars surrounding me. It's inexplicable, but completely predictable.

Kayo - those are the types of idiots that end up on the news someday. Don't worry about it...it'll come back around. I just wonder how they find each other. Similar to what I discuss above, *******s seem to travel in packs.
Old 01-12-08, 07:34 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

I'm a C.T. (cat scan) tech. We do a lot of older patients and the scanner room has a big window facing our parking lot. I watch old people get out of their cars all the time. They'll give at least two if not three good smacks whenever they get out of their car. 1) when they open the door they swing as wide as possible. 2) when they get out they lean on the door until it stops or is braced against something, generally it hits the car next to them, even if there is plenty of space not to. 3) they swing the door out again before they shut it, usually hitting the car next to them one more time. Again, something I've just observed.
Old 01-12-08, 08:41 PM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Buford
I'm a C.T. (cat scan) tech. We do a lot of older patients and the scanner room has a big window facing our parking lot. I watch old people get out of their cars all the time. They'll give at least two if not three good smacks whenever they get out of their car. 1) when they open the door they swing as wide as possible. 2) when they get out they lean on the door until it stops or is braced against something, generally it hits the car next to them, even if there is plenty of space not to. 3) they swing the door out again before they shut it, usually hitting the car next to them one more time. Again, something I've just observed.
Hahaha!!! Ouch!!! God I hate parking next to people. I also do understand that when you do try to park far away as you can, its like there are people that are out for you. Its like all they do is just make you miserable to make them happy.

As for me, I parked my car in the shopping mall where I work at. No point of trying to park far because I'm gonna end up walking about a block and a half to get to my work place. Didn't want to park under the sun or just in case it rains. So I went to the dealership to pick up my plates and come to find out the dealership tells me there is a dent on the back of my bumper. I haven't seen it before and it must of been recently. Someone either backed up into my car or decided that they could make it without hitting my car. I was so pissed because they didn't leave a note or anything. So now I left paying for this dent and I know this dent has to be about $500 or more.
Old 01-12-08, 09:16 PM
z4frosik
Pole Position

dude i know, it seems like anything and evrything causes damage to these cars.
Old 01-12-08, 09:43 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XprincoX
if you get a clear bra it can protect your front end from those rock chips
I need to find someone in Central Cali to do it. If i could do it myself i would execpt for my back problem

Quick Reply: ISx50= freaking ding magnet!!