IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Park Assist + Rear bumper applique = possible????

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 07:13 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Park Assist + Rear bumper applique = possible????

Does anyone know if the rear bumper applique will fit with the park assist option?

None of the dealers around me bring their cars in with PA, and I never have my car with me when I see one with the applique, to use as a comparison.

So, does anyone know from first hand experience? Obviously, I could just cut the applique slightly if needed, but was just wondering. (I'm still on the fence as to whether or not to actually get it anyway)
Old 01-13-08, 07:16 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the Rear Bumper applique goes on top where the bumper meets the trunk so it wouldnt matter

heres pics
http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_detail.asp?id=87713

but i dont have park assist so i wouldnt know
Old 01-13-08, 07:19 AM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by iKenn
I think the Rear Bumper applique goes on top where the bumper meets the trunk so it wouldnt matter

heres pics
http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_detail.asp?id=87713

but i dont have park assist so i wouldnt know
It tapers down onto the "face" of the bumper (not all the way down, just a couple of inches). Hard to tell in pics on the net, but trust me it does
Old 01-13-08, 07:25 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't realize the Lexus rear bumper applique comes down onto the bumper face, but even so, it should be compatible. No different than putting a clear bra on the front with Park Assist sensors. Installer will have to cut openings for the sensors.
Old 01-13-08, 07:36 AM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Didn't realize the Lexus rear bumper applique comes down onto the bumper face, but even so, it should be compatible. No different than putting a clear bra on the front with Park Assist sensors. Installer will have to cut openings for the sensors.
the way it tapers, it looks like the applique *may* cut in right in the center of each middle sensor.

So, while it's probably easy to cut the applique with a razor blade (assuming it's not too thick), I'd prefer to not have to cut around the sensor while on the car (to avoid scratching the paint) but that's the only real way to do it.

The other thing I'm thinking about is just cutting it in line with the top "ridge" of the bumper, and not having it come down the bumper at all.

Again, things I'm thinking about *IF* I decide to get it, but knowing if it fits without modification will help me determine whether or not to get it.
Old 01-13-08, 07:53 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the applique really useful?? I can see some minimal advantage on the top surface of the bumper against an errant bag. But I don't let other people take bags in and out of my car, and I'm careful when doing it, so it isn't an issue for me. My 7 year old Subie has a similar bumper surface, and after hundreds of times bags going in and out I don't have a mark on the surface. I'm just always careful when putting things in the trunk. And covering the rear face of the bumper would be of minimal advantage from what I can see. Good luck, though.

Last edited by Evitzee; 01-13-08 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-13-08, 07:59 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should pm carchitect. I think he is working on the same issue. I am not sure, but i remember him saying something about this same thing the other day.
Old 01-13-08, 09:13 AM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Is the applique really useful?? I can see some minimal advantage on the top surface of the bumper against an errant bag. But I don't let other people take bags in and out of my car, and I'm careful when doing it, so it isn't an issue for me. My 7 year old Subie has a similar bumper surface, and after hundreds of times bags going in and out I don't have a mark on the surface. I'm just always careful when putting things in the trunk. And covering the rear face of the bumper would be of minimal advantage from what I can see. Good luck, though.
It seems that no matter how careful I am, I still get some small marks. Very minor, but it does happen. Also, the applique does look pretty good, and *should* actually hide some of the small scratches underneath it. Also, it only comes down the face of the bumper enough so that you wouldn't scratch the corner/rear face of the bumper. [ie-when your bag hits the top edge of the bumper because you didn't lift it up quite high enough]

Originally Posted by combfilter
You should pm carchitect. I think he is working on the same issue. I am not sure, but i remember him saying something about this same thing the other day.
Thanks...will do.
Old 01-13-08, 01:04 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to figure out a way to cut small openings into the applique using a protractor and an exacto knife. I did botch the install though and I ended up throwing it away. I do plan on making another attempt at it again. Everytime I do this it costs me so the next time will be the last time. I'm also planning on saving the paper support (not the transfer paper) and send it back to Lexus for them to make changes and make a new applique specific for the park assist equipped models. I'll have pictures sometime this week hopefully.

-Joe
Old 01-13-08, 01:32 PM
mikes rx

^Thanks Joe.

With that, I don't think I'll end up getting it, as I don't want to fiddle with it.