IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pop noise pulling out of driveways

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 08:03 PM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finally noticed this sound in my car. does someone know the deal on it? I don't think it is the sunroof. Sounds like it is coming from the rear suspension.
Old 11-10-08, 09:10 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It happens to me when i go up a driveway slanted to avoid scrapping my lip.
Old 11-11-08, 04:50 AM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2slow
It happens to me when i go up a driveway slanted to avoid scrapping my lip.
I don't even have to go up or down a driveway, I get it when I am reversing with the wheel turned almost all the way.
Old 11-11-08, 05:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I defintely get it from the SR. If I wipe off the rubber edge around the glass with a damp rag, it goes away for a couple weeks. I had the dealer look at it--they just told me it was dirt in there--not sure I buy that. But--cleaning it does provide a temporary fix.
Old 04-27-09, 08:57 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this noise too... It's a loud thunk that sounds llike someone is slamming their fist against the roof...

It happens when I go up or down a driveway...

VERY annoying... Combined with the rattle at start up this car really embarrasses me
Old 04-28-09, 05:13 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

If it comes from the front when backing down or going up a curb into a driveway with the wheels turned sharply, this is a noise common to every Toyota/Lexus I have had - car, truck, and SUV. I am told it is the calipers shifting slightly. Never caused me a problem with any of the vehicles. Never had the roof noise.
Old 04-28-09, 05:25 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine makes a pop/clunk noise when my wheels are turned all the way, it creaks a bit when I go down drive ways, standing outside my car when my dad was trying to back it out of the driveway the car's suspension creaks and groans like a rust bucket.

Oh well lol
Old 04-28-09, 07:01 AM
jc86
Driver

i have that issue but it isnt really a crunching noise it's more of a crack that comes from my dash area.

I think it just has to do with the plastic and the clips that hold my console in because it's been happening to me on and off since i got my car. It's usually only after i make turns...
I don't think it's too much to worry about
Old 04-28-09, 08:19 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

i just noticed a similar noise as well. it's a faint pop/knock noise coming from my rear suspension area i think. it only happens when i'm moving very slowly on uneven surface while making at least a slight turn like pulling into a driveway. i also get it while reversing or going forward after backing up. i just got the driver seat creak fixed and now i noticed this noise...
Old 04-28-09, 09:28 AM
senators29
Driver School Candidate

I have that clunk as well. When i am backing out of my parking space and the wheel is turned to the right, i get the clunk from what seems to be coming from the passenger front wheel...
Old 04-28-09, 02:38 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
i just noticed a similar noise as well. it's a faint pop/knock noise coming from my rear suspension area i think. it only happens when i'm moving very slowly on uneven surface while making at least a slight turn like pulling into a driveway. i also get it while reversing or going forward after backing up. i just got the driver seat creak fixed and now i noticed this noise...
what are you lowered on darren? i have the same issue after going eibach. but someone said it's the parking brake, and there's a tsb for it. passenger rear for me
Old 04-28-09, 03:48 PM
Moredeeb77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TAP4636
Weirdest thing, and before I overreact, I have only 220 miles on this car.

Going over normal bumps in the road are silent, but for some reason, when I'm in reverse or going forward into driveways where I need to have the wheel almost entirely turned in one direction, I hear a crunch noise, which crazy enough, sounds like it's coming from the roof!

It seems to happen when I turn the wheel completely while moving out of a driveway, not when I'm parked. Anyone have any ideas?
You need the steering to be fixed by the dealer under the recall. i had the same problem till they did the recall.
Old 04-28-09, 03:49 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hapaboy
what are you lowered on darren? i have the same issue after going eibach. but someone said it's the parking brake, and there's a tsb for it. passenger rear for me
i'm on tein cs coilovers. i don't think it's the coils hitting each other when i hit bumps cus i don't hear it when i hit large bumps. i suspected the parking brake cable thing, but i can't find the tsb for it.
Old 04-28-09, 03:54 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
i'm on tein cs coilovers. i don't think it's the coils hitting each other when i hit bumps cus i don't hear it when i hit large bumps. i suspected the parking brake cable thing, but i can't find the tsb for it.
yea, i think we're in the same boat. sound like someone knocking on your wheel well inside the trunk. way diff than coil slap. i posted a msg in the suspension sub-thread to see if i can get anyone to post up the tsb for that.
Old 04-28-09, 04:03 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hapaboy
yea, i think we're in the same boat. sound like someone knocking on your wheel well inside the trunk. way diff than coil slap. i posted a msg in the suspension sub-thread to see if i can get anyone to post up the tsb for that.
yeah if anyone can post the tsb for it, that would be great! i tried googling it, but the closest thing i could find was a post from a g35 forum of all places hahah. this is the post:

"im a technician at lexus...the IS250 has the same noise..there is a tsb on it. Heres what to do. Back off the ebrake handle nut 5-6 turns. take off the back wheels and rotors..make sure the shoes don't have play no more..adjust the back shoes and it should be good..what i was asking before was where is the adjustment on the emergency brake cable (for the handle) not the shoes...INFINITI should be coming out with TSIB or some kind of update for that...the dealer knows they just suckk and say "we cant duplicate the problem"..its a little annoying"

Quick Reply: Pop noise pulling out of driveways