IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Radio settings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-08, 10:08 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It's a whole lot better ($940 for 100 more watts) than I could have gotten spending the same $940 to upgrade the factory system- especially with how difficult replacing the Lexus head unit is.

My previous vehicle had a multi-thousand-dollar system in it, all alpine interior stuff, and all JL Audio for the subs... and the ML system sounds about 95% as good as that one for a whole lot less cost.

You are getting A LOT more than 60-100 watts with the ML amp. The ML system is 300 watts CONTINUOUS POWER from 20-20,000 Hz with less than 0.1% THD. The stock system is 240 watts, but how are they measured?? I guarantee you they are not on the same scale as the ML. Usually these wattage figures are peak power with one channel driven with high distortion. The stock system may put out only a couple of usable watts at low or very high frequencies. At least with the ML amp you are getting clean wattage throughout the spectrum. At $940 the ML is a no brainer, if you can get it.
Old 01-19-08, 10:38 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
You are getting A LOT more than 60-100 watts with the ML amp. The ML system is 300 watts CONTINUOUS POWER from 20-20,000 Hz with less than 0.1% THD. The stock system is 240 watts, but how are they measured?? I guarantee you they are not on the same scale as the ML. Usually these wattage figures are peak power with one channel driven with high distortion. The stock system may put out only a couple of usable watts at low or very high frequencies. At least with the ML amp you are getting clean wattage throughout the spectrum. At $940 the ML is a no brainer, if you can get it.
YES TY Evitzee. take that judd, u can stop making fun of my ML now!
Old 01-19-08, 10:53 AM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Depends on the music or the recording levels on the CD. But...

Bass = 4
Mid = -1
Treble = -1

Have been using less treble lately?? I have the ML system and like the volume at 50 when I'm into the song. Otherwise I keep the volume in the low 40's. If my wife is in the car then the volume is at 10...
Old 01-19-08, 11:20 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slee18
Base: 1
Mid: 3
Treble: 5
+1 on those settings
Old 01-19-08, 11:32 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by weesped
YES TY Evitzee. take that judd, u can stop making fun of my ML now!
Bah i'll still beat you in a race Goto your 250 owner depression thread

For the rest of you guys, i never said ML was bad. All i said you can get alot more out of aftermarket. Still... 300w continuous power with a uber low distortion rate divided between 14 spkrs... for the low lvl guys its the best no doubt about it BUT for the guys who like DA BOOM...300w for 14spkrs is really weak.
Old 01-19-08, 11:41 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Bah i'll still beat you in a race Goto your 250 owner depression thread
-.- i shoulda known u were just going to pull that card. ok im going back to my is250 cave >_>
Old 01-19-08, 11:46 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bass = +2
Mid = -1
Treb = 0

The tweeters on the ML system are very bright. If I turn the treble up much, it can border on harsh, so flat seems to work best... From past experience, the sound softens with time.

Along these lines, what are folks doing with the ASL setting? ON or OFF?
And what about the SURROUND mode, if equipped...?

I've gone back and forth with these, and most of the time I get the most enjoyable sound (to MY ears) with SURROUND "ON" and ASL "OFF".
Old 01-19-08, 02:18 PM
06-IS250
Pole Position

The ASL does NOTHING! It never changes the volume for me....anyone else feel that? I even went down to the dealer thinking mine was broken, but I drove another IS250 and same thing. On a G35, or a 750, the volume actually changes with speed...I'm not too pleased with that.
Old 01-19-08, 02:45 PM
osyrhiz
Rookie

B: +5
M: +3
T: +4
Old 01-19-08, 04:42 PM
350vibez
Driver School Candidate

B: +2
M: 0
T: +3

I listen to music in the 25-40 range now. I use to have my bass at +3 and listen to music in the 45+ range until I had to get the ML subwoofer replaced at the dealer. I got it replaced for free.

I read on other threads that the glue holding the ML subwoofer together is weak, which causes cone to come loose and sound distorted after you listen to bassy music.
Old 01-19-08, 04:47 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh... is ASL supposed to do something even on the non-ml system? Is that what its supposed to do, go low as you speed up? I thought it was for bluetooth and your fone if you have the nav Since i dont have nav or ml i thought it was a non-functional button
Old 01-19-08, 05:33 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 06-IS250
The ASL does NOTHING! It never changes the volume for me....anyone else feel that? I even went down to the dealer thinking mine was broken, but I drove another IS250 and same thing. On a G35, or a 750, the volume actually changes with speed...I'm not too pleased with that.
I'm glad to hear that yours does nothing too. I messed with it a few times and never noticed it doing anything either. Oh well, my thumb on the steering wheel control works just fine.

1k for the ML was a no brainer for me. Yes, for those that like Da Boom you have to go after market but I wanted to remain stock and am more than happy with my ML system.
Old 01-19-08, 05:55 PM
06-IS250
Pole Position

Its technically supposed to change with speed...aka more noise...louder volume setting. But it does nothing. If you pay close attention, underneath where it says "ASL" some lil bars go up and down..but there is NO change in volume...it "works" but it does nothing. Whatever, its not a big deal.
Old 01-19-08, 06:38 PM
Noz
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
It's not that simple.

Fletcher-Munson curves show that human hearing frequency response perception at different volume levels is not flat.

Music that is perfectly equalized at loud volumes will sound like it doesn't have enough bass and treble when you turn the volume down to background listening levels.

Also, you are making the assumption that the audio system is properly equalized for a flat frequency response when the tone controls are set at zero. That may or may not be a correct assumption.
Yea... it seems most people listen to their music at a reasonable volume that the flether-munson curve wouldn't affect the listening enough. And if you actually look at 95% of the people's EQ setting.... their actually doing quite the opposite of resolving the fletcher-munson curve.

Also, the mixing and mastering engineer do not only monitor through perfectly flat monitors only. Because it sounds different depending on what you're listing through, they take their mixes and listen to it through car speakers, computer speakers systems, boom boxes, headphones, and what not to make sure it sound good anywhere. Most sound engineers will have some kind of crappy sounding system to listen to their mixes... and if sounds good trough that.. theory is that it'll sound good through most systems. Also, they check their mixes at various volumes as well. They'll play their mixes very low and make sure are the elements are equally audible and loud to make sure nothing pierces your ears.

I understand if the CD was mixed/mastered poorly.. and let's just say there's a lack of low end.. so you boost it up to make up for it... or if you are always listening at a low volume and you boost the mid up and the highs up a bit. Actually... instead of boosting.. subractive EQing is better... but I think this thread is talking about people's permanent EQ setting no matter what volume.