IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

avg speed wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 06:45 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4U2eNv_8o8
So when you get clocked by a Cop and they pull you over and say, "Do you know how fast you was going?" You can give them and honest answer because if you are driving in speed limits(as your car shows) you wouldn't be hiding anything. So who would the Cop blame?!(Probably wouldn't believe the driver anyway)

I'm not sure also though, because sometimes or some days when I do drive 60mph I seem to be going slower then what it was before.
You are getting it backwards. Speedometers always read higher than you are really going, so your speedometer would probably say you are going 68 when you are really going 65. There's no way that could help with the cops.
Old 01-22-08, 08:28 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
You are getting it backwards. Speedometers always read higher than you are really going, so your speedometer would probably say you are going 68 when you are really going 65. There's no way that could help with the cops.
Quite true. The spec for speedometer accuracy is -0 to +5 percent. Another thing that works in your favor is cosine error; the radar (or laser) gun measures the speed that you are moving towards or away from it, so unless you are headed directly towards or away from the cop, he'll read a speed that is slightly lower than you are actually traveling.
Old 01-22-08, 08:39 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxberry
Gotta be one of the best names on CL, I laugh whenever I see a ChickenAss post!
Way to hijack the thread guys! LOL! Just kidding. Probably the most original name, although I'm tempted to get chickenkickass.
Old 01-22-08, 08:43 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Reset (0 out) the average speed when driving on the highway with the cruise set and you will see how hard it is to maintain the average speed. By resetting (0 out) the tank mpg while moving with the cruise on, you can also find out exactly what speed gets the best mpg.

Koz
Old 01-22-08, 03:38 PM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Quite true. The spec for speedometer accuracy is -0 to +5 percent. Another thing that works in your favor is cosine error; the radar (or laser) gun measures the speed that you are moving towards or away from it, so unless you are headed directly towards or away from the cop, he'll read a speed that is slightly lower than you are actually traveling.
Hmm.... that might answer some of the reasons why, even though I'm going 10 miles over the speed limit the cop didn't even bother to pull me over.
Old 01-22-08, 06:07 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz
Reset (0 out) the average speed when driving on the highway with the cruise set and you will see how hard it is to maintain the average speed. By resetting (0 out) the tank mpg while moving with the cruise on, you can also find out exactly what speed gets the best mpg.

Koz
Resetting the AVG MPG while cruising to figure out the best speed for economy doesn't really work since the most fuel efficient speed is below what you can realistically travel for long periods of time (below 55 MPH).
Old 01-23-08, 05:16 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Gernby
Resetting the AVG MPG while cruising to figure out the best speed for economy doesn't really work since the most fuel efficient speed is below what you can realistically travel for long periods of time (below 55 MPH).
This is just a thought but I would think that near max torque (in 6th gear) might be the most efficient RPM. The next long trip I will experiment.

Koz
Old 01-23-08, 06:27 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz
This is just a thought but I would think that near max torque (in 6th gear) might be the most efficient RPM. The next long trip I will experiment.

Koz
That might be the most efficient RPM for the engine, but wind resistance is exponential. I've done quite a bit of experimentation during my many, many 40 mile commutes to and from the lake. The lower I set the cruise control, the better the mileage. I average 36 MPG on that stretch of highway if I set the cruise control at 60 MPH (via GPS). It is surprising how quickly it falls above 60 MPH. I haven't tried 55 MPH since that's below the speed limit.
Old 01-23-08, 06:42 AM
Koz

This is a good way to make a long trip interesting. I will check it out next time!

Koz