IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

tire pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-08, 04:48 PM
iLoveMyIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire pressure light

At 1300 miles, my low tire pressure light already came on!

I checked all tires when I came home (hot, not cold) and it was at 30psi

What should the cold tire pressure be?

My owners manual is at work.
Old 01-19-08, 05:09 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the label on your door jamb. It states the recommended psi. Federal law mandates the sticker!
Old 01-19-08, 05:11 PM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

that means, you have to pump some air in it? You normally check your tires when its cold. So at cold it should be around 32, but I do 35 front and 38 back.
When you checked it and it was 30 hot, it must have been somewhere around 27 28 cold.
Old 01-19-08, 07:16 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

we have been getting killed with tire pressure lights at work. its not abnormal for it to come on.

what you need to do:

1.) when the tires are cold, set it to whatever the sticker on the door jam tells you to.
2.) to the left of the steering wheel, you will see the display scroll button. scroll through the options displayed on the gauge cluster until you see the word "initial". when you get to that, press AND hold it until the tire pressure light stops flashing (it will blink 3 times). this is done with the key on.

this reinitializes the thresholds of the tire pressure warning system. also, make sure not to accidentally hit the "2nd set" button. ive seen people do that as well. if you have a tire that is a lot lower than the rest of your tires, make sure there is not a nail stuck in it. if they all read 30, just readjust them and intialize the system as i said above. initializing the system is important.

of course you could take it to your dealer and have them perform this. each dealer is different, but i believe we havent been charging customers for TPWS complaints unless there is a punctured tire.

hold that helps.
Old 01-19-08, 09:55 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by iLoveMyIS
I checked all tires when I came home (hot, not cold) and it was at 30psi

What should the cold tire pressure be?
30psi is way too low. Proper pressure, from the door jamb as others suggested, is 35 front and 37 rear.
Old 01-20-08, 06:02 PM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

Anyone know if the tire pressure can affect the VSC? From the info I get it sounds like it can.
Old 01-20-08, 06:17 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just use a little more air and forget about it. I use 37 front 39 rear on stock setup. Rides perfect, with good tires.

Also, better gas mileage with more air in general. I saw it on a show. The guy that has a book about hyper-mileing.
Old 01-20-08, 06:25 PM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirCharles
just use a little more air and forget about it. I use 37 front 39 rear on stock setup. Rides perfect, with good tires.

Also, better gas mileage with more air in general. I saw it on a show. The guy that has a book about hyper-mileing.
I almost use the same set up. Except 36 psi in front.

I'm just wondering cause for the past week, I have had a slow leak in my right rear tire and just yesterday my "check VSC" light came on.

I tightend my gas cap and still nothing. I'm gonna go put 2 new tires on but just wanted to see what y'all had to say.
Old 01-21-08, 04:27 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IS250SoCal
I almost use the same set up. Except 36 psi in front.

I'm just wondering cause for the past week, I have had a slow leak in my right rear tire and just yesterday my "check VSC" light came on.

I tightend my gas cap and still nothing. I'm gonna go put 2 new tires on but just wanted to see what y'all had to say.

hm, its hard to say if a flat tire is causing that or not. there will be a VSC code stored if the light is on. if you get that code and report back what it is, i might be able to help you out. best bet is to take it to the dealer and see what it is. if there is an issue, it should be covered under warranty.
Old 01-21-08, 06:18 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

THE TPMS is designed to alert the analogue guage cluster if it senses a 3 psi drop from intial calibration
Old 01-21-08, 06:46 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i set all my tires to 32 psi, then calibrated the TPMS then i added air to the specified limits so i have a margin of safety. now the TPMS will only come on if the tire is actually low rather than it being affected by temperature.
Old 01-21-08, 09:00 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
i set all my tires to 32 psi, then calibrated the TPMS then i added air to the specified limits so i have a margin of safety. now the TPMS will only come on if the tire is actually low rather than it being affected by temperature.
I think this is a good idea if you do it yourself. My dealer flirted with the idea of doing this exact same thing because we get so many tire pressure light concerns. We decided it was a liability in the case someone has a blowout or something out of the ordinary. We just initialize them as the factory recommends (what I stated above).

If I had a car with this system, I would do the same.
Old 01-21-08, 09:53 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I would like to recomend having your tires filled with Nitrogen in order to reduce the frequency of the light coming on. Since I live in Chicago, our winters can be rough with exreme temps. The molecules of Nitrogen are much larger than oxyge and thus, do not seep out of the tire as fast subsequently retaining proper inflation longer. The only downside, if you at Oxygen after the fact, you will have to have the tire flushed again and Nitrogen added. Most dealers offer lifetime top offs. it is worth the $50. Almost all aircraft have Nitrogen filled tires due to the high altitudes and the fact that wheel well housings in an aircraft get brutally cold it is all really a safety issue.
Old 01-21-08, 10:09 AM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by onepointon
hm, its hard to say if a flat tire is causing that or not. there will be a VSC code stored if the light is on. if you get that code and report back what it is, i might be able to help you out. best bet is to take it to the dealer and see what it is. if there is an issue, it should be covered under warranty.
Thanks. Do you know where I could find the code?
Old 01-21-08, 12:33 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250SoCal
Thanks. Do you know where I could find the code?
If you have access to a OBD-II scan tool, the diagnostic connector is near the drivers left knee. Otherwise you'll need to bring it to the dealer or a shop that has one.

Quick Reply: tire pressure light