IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cold air in my face. Is this acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08 | 05:08 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Default Cold air in my face. Is this acceptable?

Driving to Chicago from Central Illinois the other night. Outside temp was -1 F. Car temp set on AUTO and 73 F. Car speed around 75 mph. My wife remarks that she feels a faint "cool draft" on her face. I also had noticed it but didn't make much of it--thought it was a nifty Lexus trick to keep the driver "alert" when the cabin temp warms above a certain setting.

I turned display to CLIMATE and see that fan speed is medium-low and vents are directing air to footwells. Placed my hands over the panel and dash vents. There's a small amount of warm air from them as well. Traced my hand along the A-pillar/front windshield junction and the driver's window frame--I actually felt some freezing air on my fingertips! Obviously, I checked to make sure all windows were up all the way (they were). I didn't appreciate any significant wind noise at the time. I set the airflow to the dash/footwell mode and that helped quite a bit, but feeling the cold air penetrating the cabin was disconcerting.

I don't recall this in other cars I've driven (except my convertible ), but then again I don't remember the last time spent a couple hours at interstate speeds in subzero temperatures.

Has any other cold weather owner experienced something like this? Is this considered "within tolerance" for Lexus? Is there a way the seals in those areas can be augmented without ripping out existing seals, windshield, etc?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-08 | 05:33 PM
tshek
Pole Position

i think the reason is the cold air is preventing fog build up on the glass
Old 01-21-08 | 07:04 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tshek
i think the reason is the cold air is preventing fog build up on the glass
I could see that if the cold air was coming from the vents or the dash, but it wasn't. It was coming from the windshield and front window frame edges.

Again, I'm not sure if this is considered "normal" (since no car is air tight) and I just hadn't noticed it in other cars I've driven. Not to mention that I can't recall ever driving in temps that cold...
Old 01-21-08 | 08:55 PM
dblockjr
Driver

Originally Posted by Zeus69
I could see that if the cold air was coming from the vents or the dash, but it wasn't. It was coming from the windshield and front window frame edges.

Again, I'm not sure if this is considered "normal" (since no car is air tight) and I just hadn't noticed it in other cars I've driven. Not to mention that I can't recall ever driving in temps that cold...
Does it in mine as well. It is kinda annoying especially when driving at night, cuz during the day I put my sunglasses on and it takes care of it. But yes it is to keep are moving in the cabin to help keep all windows from fogging up. You can help this a bit I noticed by turning on the recirc button that goes thru the cabin filter instead of the air from outside coming in. But when you do that you need to up the fan speed otherwise the windows will fog up in a couple minutes.
Old 01-21-08 | 09:00 PM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

I noticed this in my 99 3000GT the other day and then I looked down and the fresh air button was on.....switched it to recirculate and it took care of it.
Old 01-21-08 | 09:14 PM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

its been -40 degrees Celsius with the windchill recently where i live. its so damned cold I wouldn't notice if air was coming in anywhere.

i win/lose.
Old 01-21-08 | 10:03 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

i didnt know cars can run in that kinda temp.
Old 01-22-08 | 06:02 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Turn on the circulation, like in this picture.

Old 01-22-08 | 01:35 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, recirculation will get rid of that interior vaccumn that is created when outside air enters the cabin. This should do the trick.
Old 01-22-08 | 01:54 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by Brian231
Yes, recirculation will get rid of that interior vaccumn that is created when outside air enters the cabin. This should do the trick.
Cool trick. Will try this next time I am in the car.
Old 01-22-08 | 06:58 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brian231
Could someone explain to me how this works? Would seem that "fresh" air coming from outside would create positive pressure in the cabin, not a vacuum...
Old 01-22-08 | 07:08 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Did you have the sunroof popped open? I notice a air draft from my window switches with the sunroof popped.
Old 01-22-08 | 08:09 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ReLexin
Did you have the sunroof popped open? I notice a air draft from my window switches with the sunroof popped.
Not with outside temp at -1 .
Old 01-23-08 | 05:31 AM
Koz

If you selected outside air, there will be a certain percentage of outside air regardless of what the temp is set at. As soon as the interior reaches the set temp, the system will slow the fan speed and use more outside air to maintain the set temp. Also more outside will be used if the system senses humidity. If you select recycled interior air you should not feel a draft but the windows my fog.

Koz
Old 01-23-08 | 06:42 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zeus69
Not with outside temp at -1 .
come on! everyone in IL drives with the moonroof open doesnt matter the temp!! i will tilt it up at times even when its cold to have more fresh air in the car. i cant stand when its really hot from the heater and all stuffy.

if you do recirculate the air you will take care of the "fresh" cold air you are feeling coming into the car. this is problem more noticable in IL with the colder temps right now. yes its better IMO to have the fresh air for several reasons and the one most important to me is the air getting dry from the heat. But my wife has mentioned she feels it more in this car then any other on how it almost feels like its blowing on you.

Quick Reply: Cold air in my face. Is this acceptable?