IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front License Plate Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 12:47 PM
Electric
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you can do it buy the bumper plugs from Aerotect. They come painted to the OEM color of your car. NJ dealers always put on the front plates. I took them off, and I have the Aerotect plugs to put in there now.
Old 01-22-08, 01:00 PM
tshek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

an off topic... I kind of wish Lexus will come out a front plant holder just like Honda does. My girlfriend have a Honda Accord and the holder is screw underneath and behind the bumper. That leave no mark nor hole on the bumper.
Old 01-22-08, 01:04 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen some dealers drill the plate directly to the front bumper with no plastic mounting kit. This ruins the bumper immediatley. I guess they need to trian their porters better in these situations.
Old 01-22-08, 01:31 PM
Blahzay
Driver School Candidate

When I put down the deposit on my '06 IS250AWD, I made them put "No front plate, no holes in front bumper" as a condition of sale, and I had no problems.
Old 01-22-08, 01:56 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

When I bought my car. It was at Long beach Port in California. I told my saleswoman for the prep people to NOT drill into my front bumper to install the plate. She was giving me such a hard time about it, thats its the law, blah, blah, blah. I told her I will sign the waiver that they should have.

It came down to her being lazy. I just told her when I pick up my car on Saturday if the front bumper is drilled into I'm NOT purchasing the car. So in the end she kept her word and had the techs not drill into the IS's sexy front bumper.
Old 01-22-08, 03:29 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Front license plate laws are for generating revenue, and that's it. The fine for removing the front plate is effectively a tax on those that want their car to look a little better. If I'm willing to pay that tax, I don't think that is selfish at all. If front license plates provided any real benefit to society, then every state would require them.
I've heard convoluted arguments to justify not using the front plate, but this one is really 'out there'. So the bad old legislator's got into a dark room and agreed that in order to raise extra revenue they would require front plates. And those that want to make their car look better will, in effect, just pay a fine to do so. You can argue all you want as to whether the law is a good one or not, but like it or not, you are deciding that to make the car look better in your own eyes you won't do what the law says is required. Why is that not selfish???

Your last sentence is nonsensical. We don't live in a country where federal law is the law of the land. Remember, it is the United STATES of America. Each state sets their own laws in these areas. I really don't think you want to live in a country where an overarching government controls your life by a set of uniform laws.

Last edited by Evitzee; 01-22-08 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 04:46 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by moses0324
When I bought my lexus is250 brand new 2008...I requested them to leave the front license plate off because I did not want holes in the front bumper...To my dismay when I arrived to pick up the car it was already drilled and license plate holder had been installed....Dealer said they had to because of state laws...Just wondering how many of you have been successful with this request??? Now I have to find a place to fix the drilled holes...
Dealer sounds like Lexus of Greenwich. When I lived in NY back then, Lexus of Greenwich gave me a very good price on a new GX, but they said that they have to install the front plate. That was the deal breaker. I purchased my GX from a dealer in upstate NY who had no problem leaving off the front plate.

Also reminds me of my deal with Ray Catena Lexus in Larchmont when I was buying a 93 SC400. They agreed that no front plate on vehicle was no problem. I go to pick the SC up a couple days later and there it sat in their garage with the front bracket installed. I immediately refused to purchase that car because of that and 3 days later they got me another SC with no front plate bracket on the car. Some dealers are just very stubborn (I can sort of understand it) and for that, for me anyway, a few have lost a sale to a competing dealer.
Old 01-22-08, 06:00 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I've heard convoluted arguments to justify not using the front plate, but this one is really 'out there'. So the bad old legislator's got into a dark room and agreed that in order to raise extra revenue they would require front plates. And those that want to make their car look better will, in effect, just pay a fine to do so. You can argue all you want as to whether the law is a good one or not, but like it or not, you are deciding that to make the car look better in your own eyes you won't do what the law says is required. Why is that not selfish???

Your last sentence is nonsensical. We don't live in a country where federal law is the law of the land. Remember, it is the United STATES of America. Each state sets their own laws in these areas. I really don't think you want to live in a country where an overarching government controls your life by a set of uniform laws.
Do you ever drive 56 MPH in a 55 MPH zone? That would be far more "selfish" than not displaying a front plate. Few would argue that a front license plate saves lives, but many fools would argue that driving 56 in a 55 is dangerous. Would you put yourself in the fool category, or the hypocritical one?

My "nonsensical" last sentence had nothing to do with federal law. It had to do with good common sense. If a law has legitimate value, more states would adopt it. Do I need to break it down in more sensical terms?
Old 01-22-08, 06:24 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my plates yesterday, When they put it on i guess they saw my red outs and said "No front plates right" and i said "Yup"

End of Story.
Old 01-22-08, 07:47 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you guys had it bad. When I bought my car, I signed a waiver saying that I was going to install the license plate myself somewhere down the line. Nobody else signed this paper? It's just a way the dealership is covering their asses saying that it wasn't them that forgot to install it, it was the customer who requested not to install it and was going to do it themselves.
Old 01-22-08, 07:56 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

I never thought of that when I purchased the ride. Good thing they didn't install the bracket... they just threw it in the trunk and I didn't sign any waiver.
Old 01-22-08, 08:03 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had to sign a waver saying the dealer will probably issue you two license plate, one for the rear and one for the front. And if you get pulled over or get into any trouble the dealer has no responsibility over the issue and that i was probably issued two plates.

Lame But i got bumper plugs to cover up the holes and got the touch up paint because the dealer screwed in the paper plates to deep and damaged my factory paint
Old 01-22-08, 08:48 PM
Vi-Tuyen
Driver

just got my rx license plates put on this morning, they put on the back plate and ask me if I want the front plate, I said no. but then, I told them to put on because years ago, I got a ticket for not having my front plate on my honda.
Old 01-22-08, 09:21 PM
moses0324
Driver

thanks for all of the replies...i guess i will look into plugs...going to a body shop does not make sense...plus if i get pulled over down the road and they ask me to put it on i would rather have the holes exsisting...body shop would be a waste at that point
Old 01-23-08, 12:25 PM
Hollings
Driver School Candidate

I would be pissed if Arkansas required front plates...

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Question