IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP! ASAP Please!!! Dealer claiming BS about Fujita Intake...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 07:21 PM
GS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Conduct your self civilly (sp?) and do not swear or raise your voice. Speak with the service writer first, then service manager, and then ultimately general manager. But you really don't have much room to stand on seeing as under the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, they proved that your aftermarket part did cause the problem.
Old 01-23-08, 07:25 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Extreme437
Yes, it is their word against mine, but I think even in such case, the customer should be right as is with customer service(customer is always right). Especially for something that costs the dealership nothing but a little time (running the diagnostic test), they should just give in and make me a happy customer and waive the fee this time around.

Your thoughts?

The customer is always right, except in the cases when they are wrong...

If you go in and make a scene, there is no way it'll make sense for them to make you a "happy customer" because they know that revenue stream from you is likely over.

Especially for something that costs the dealership nothing but a little time
time is money... to use another cliche.
Old 01-23-08, 08:27 PM
Extreme437
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the input everyone. I will go in tomorrow and see what I can do. Doesnt sound like there is much I can argue for in my favor, but Ill give it a shot. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-23-08, 08:34 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

i dont know why the dealer and advisors trip about these issues. they can write it up as a warranty issue and lexus will pay them, but i guess they rather sucker you into paying for it.

i know several service writers and techs and they get paid from lexus for any little thing thru warranty.
Old 01-23-08, 08:41 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

to the op what dealer did you take your car to?
Old 01-23-08, 08:56 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
i dont know why the dealer and advisors trip about these issues. they can write it up as a warranty issue and lexus will pay them, but i guess they rather sucker you into paying for it.

i know several service writers and techs and they get paid from lexus for any little thing thru warranty.
In other words, the Lexus dealer should be in the business to defraud the Corporation and risk losing his franchise. Sure, not a problem. I'm sure he will be willing to do that all day long. Toyota is a big corporation and they can afford it, right?
Old 01-23-08, 09:18 PM
Extreme437
Pole Position

Lexus Carlsbad in Southern California
Old 01-23-08, 10:03 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly, if you are not confident enough w/ taking your car apart, you should not do DIY.

How can you even bring your car to a dealership w/ aftermarket parts and not evening troubleshooting it yourself?

I would have first swapped out the intake and reset the ECM as a no brainer troubleshooting.

Worst case, you have the stock part on when you send it to the dealer.

Pay it and move on!

Goodluck!
Old 01-24-08, 03:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Aftermarket part and they could have screwed you and charged more for whatever.
A $95 Lexus service charge is cheap.Pay it and carry a screwdriver.
Old 01-24-08, 07:26 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this happen to my first gen, and it was exactly the intake coming loose even though I was sure to have installed it properly. No more intakes for me after that. I don't think they took advantage at all.
Old 01-24-08, 07:40 AM
TAP4636
Rookie

Originally Posted by Evitzee
$95 to get it fixed seems reasonable if it came loose as it is a non-stock part. It's their word against yours. You lose.

Next time just check it yourself and save $95.

I don't think you have much to complain about.
I agree with this. I don't think a Lexus dealership would be this shady...over $95 bucks? If we're talking $1000 bucks, then maybe you have a point. Maybe I'm giving the dealer too much credit, but in my short experience dealing with my Lexus dealership, they have been VERY pleasant with me, unlike the GM guys. Lexus is all about making you feel good...the last thing they want to lose your business. They live for getting perfect service ratings and surveys. They have no reason to lie.

Of course, this is the risk you take when you change parts when the car is under warranty.
Old 01-24-08, 07:44 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4GRFSE-GFM
Honestly, if you are not confident enough w/ taking your car apart, you should not do DIY.

How can you even bring your car to a dealership w/ aftermarket parts and not evening troubleshooting it yourself?

I would have first swapped out the intake and reset the ECM as a no brainer troubleshooting.

Worst case, you have the stock part on when you send it to the dealer.

Pay it and move on!

Goodluck!
Thats exactly what you should have done.
Old 01-24-08, 08:07 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

95 for diagnose is good for a lexus and the case is solved. I was charged 90 dollars to diagnose the honda, and they didn't find the problem....
Old 01-24-08, 08:07 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. you need to pop the hood once a week, do some inspecting of everyting and just look around. that's part of owning a car, warranty or not.
2. anytiem you bring a car into any dealer, they charge you 1 hour labor if you ahve a check engine light on. standard practice. if the problem is found to be a warranty issue, you dont' get charged. otherwise you do.
3. loose intakes will cause cel's. since you modified teh stock intake, it becomes non warranty for that part.
4. dealers cannot change things to warranty at will and risk being audited by corporate. some do, but it's a risk they take. my current employer does this and it pisses us off and puts a lot at risk.
5. warranty does not pay very well to techs and advisors. it is in their best interest to keep as much as possible non warranty i.e. you pay.
Old 01-24-08, 09:02 AM
sdpq
Driver

Lexus Carlsbad in Southern California
haha, that is where I got my car from and that's where I went for the exact same issue. They let me slide thought since they didn't diagnosis it, they looked at it and said "they could fix it with a cost" and I said no thanks, i'll do it myself.

its worth seeing if they will do anything for you, but what they said is legit.

Quick Reply: HELP! ASAP Please!!! Dealer claiming BS about Fujita Intake...