IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP! ASAP Please!!! Dealer claiming BS about Fujita Intake...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 05:01 PM
Extreme437
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! ASAP Please!!! Dealer claiming BS about Fujita Intake...

My car has been running rough for the past couple of weeks and even died on me completely once while I was driving. Last night, while stopped at a light, my master warning light, check engine light, VSC light all came on along with a message saying "Check VSC". I took the car to the dealer last night to have them assess it today.

This morning, I received a call from my service adviser saying that they noticed I had an aftermarket intake filter. He said that the first thing the technician noticed when he popped the hood was the intake filter. Also, if the diagnostic test was run and they found that the intake filter was the result of the check engine light, I would be charged $95 for the diagnostic test.

Finally, after 8 hours of waiting and me calling and leaving two voice mails for the service adviser, I get a call back. They are claiming that the filter had come loose at the end where the filter connects to the intake tube and was causing the car to suck in too much air causing it to run too lean throwing the CEL. Once the filter was re-attached, they drove the car and said that it was running just fine and not idling roughly anymore.

Is this even possible? The intake filter was clamped on tightly and securely and has only been installed for maybe 5 thousand miles. This sounds like a load of BS to me and as a 19 year old, I feel like I am being taken advantage of.

In addition, he claimed that the VSC lights were result of the check engine light coming on saying that when one system is thrown off and has issues, it can sometimes cause other issues with the car.

This is a ****ty experience being my second time taking the car to the dealership for service. First time was for the 5K check up. My car has 7140 miles on it now, its still a new car and I feel like Im ready to get rid of it already if Im going to deal with this BS from the dealer.

Any tips, hints, tricks, or help that you can offer will be greatly appreciated!!! I am picking up the car from the dealer tomorrow and would like to refuse to pay for the $95 charge for the diagnostic test that takes maybe 2 minutes to run. I will ask to speak directly with a manager in hopes of having this charge/fee waived.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-23-08, 05:08 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Ide say its possible...I don't think you should rule it out.
Old 01-23-08, 05:10 PM
Extreme437
Pole Position

Seems like a load of BS to me though. When I installed the filter, it was on tight and securely. Now, maybe 4 or 5K miles later, its loose/fallen off? I never had this issue with my last car and I had the filter on there for about 15K miles...

What would cause it to fall off/come loose? Some intense vibrations I guess? Still seems like the dealer is pulling my leg..
Old 01-23-08, 05:13 PM
sdpq
Driver

same thing happened to me, it came a bit loose and sucked in too much air and the technician and service writer said it was running lean. They did however didn't charge me because they didn't fix it, I told them i'll fix it myself and not pay anything.

I still think its worth fighting for the money, but from my experience, what they are saying can happen, may not happen often, but it did happen. Even after I installed everything, it takes a bit for the lights to go off and everything to be back to normal.
Old 01-23-08, 05:15 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think it's possible. it doesn't really sound like BS, although $95 to run a test is BS. if it really was loose, all you have to do is pop the hood and see the filter not secured. i say to go in a pick it up, and do whatever you can to get the fee waived.

also, i have the fujita intake, and it seems like the filter may be rubbing slightly on whatever is under it. that may cause it to loosen up.
Old 01-23-08, 05:15 PM
Extreme437
Pole Position

Thanks sdpq. I appreciate that experienced input. I guess what they are saying is legit, however not what I want to hear.

Could I potentially argue that they should have noticed the air filter was loose prior to running the test hence making the diagnostic test unnecessary?

jsquared, I intend to speak with a manager or supervisor and have the fee waived. If all else fails, guess I'll make a scene
Old 01-23-08, 05:18 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Extreme437
Could I potentially argue that they should have noticed the air filter was loose prior to running the test hence making the diagnostic test unnecessary?
Engines are so complex nowadays that it could have been many different things.

Think of it this way: if they really wanted to screw you over, they could have just fixed your filter, and said your MAF was screwed up, which would be much more expensive than that diagnostic test.
Old 01-23-08, 05:20 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

$95 to get it fixed seems reasonable if it came loose as it is a non-stock part. It's their word against yours. You lose.

Next time just check it yourself and save $95.

I don't think you have much to complain about.
Old 01-23-08, 05:20 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

It is possible but I wouldn't flip over it. Just take it off every time you take it in.
Old 01-23-08, 05:39 PM
Extreme437
Pole Position

Thanks for the continued input, I really appreciate it! Keep it coming!!!

I just spoke with my friend who knows cars very well and he said that because the dealership did not call me and have me come in to show me in person as proof that the intake filter was in fact loose, they didn't prove anything to me.

Yes, it is their word against mine, but I think even in such case, the customer should be right as is with customer service(customer is always right). Especially for something that costs the dealership nothing but a little time (running the diagnostic test), they should just give in and make me a happy customer and waive the fee this time around.

Your thoughts?
Old 01-23-08, 05:40 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

They told you before they did anything that if the filter was the cause they would charge you. You should have posted your problem, before taking to the stealer and you would saved $95.

Koz
Old 01-23-08, 06:17 PM
Lama
Driver

Old 01-23-08, 06:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I've had the same thing happen on one of my Lexus with the same results... sounds like they diagnosed it properly and fixed it.
Old 01-23-08, 06:40 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

The explanation seems completely plausible, your symptoms are characteristic of an intake air leak. The $95 labor charge doesn't sound out-of-line for a new car dealer; in any case you approved that amount before they started the work.
Old 01-23-08, 07:04 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ +1.

you signed the paperwork. it is a binding contract. what you can do is ask them to duplicate the problem to show you that, indeed, it was a loose intake connector.

if i were you, i would not go into the service department to make a scene (read: ranting and raving). you WILL burn bridges with the entire service department...

Quick Reply: HELP! ASAP Please!!! Dealer claiming BS about Fujita Intake...