IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Curb rash on my X-Package wheel last night..!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 11:04 AM
subliiime
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curb rash on my X-Package wheel last night..!

So last night I was driving, the rain was coming down pretty hard, and I made a turn that I guess wasn't wide enough and I ended up scraping a curb with my right rear x-package wheel. It was a curb in a pretty tight parking lot, not out on a surface street which is why I couldn't make a wider turn..

Anyways, I just wanted to get some opinions from some fellow IS owners.

I called around a few dealerships and they were quoting me around $750 for 1 new x-pac wheel plus another $50 installation. Pretty steep right?

I checked the Sewell Lexus Parts Online Shop and I can get it shipped to me for $445 total. And I can get it reinstalled for $50 at the local Lexus dealership. Not bad right?

I asked a few friends about wheel repair for curb rashes and they were thinking I wouldn't be paying more than $200, if that, for the repair.

So what do you guys think? Should I just get it repaired or should I just spring for a new one? The scrape, or scrapes, I should say aren't hugely noticeable, but it's something I'm actually losing sleep over. It's all on the outer edge of the rim kinda where the tire meets the rim, nothing towards the middle. I like the lower price of the repair route, but theres just something about riding on a repaired wheel that bugs me (I'm kind of an obsessive compulsive perfectionist when it comes to my IS350). I mean..they pretty much shave the rashes down right? Won't that affect the weight and/or size of the wheel when its all said and done?

The "buy a new one from Sewell" route doesn't seem half bad..I mean they're discounting 15% off an already low price for the wheel that dealerships around San Diego are charging $200 more for.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I almost made the move to order a new wheel, but thought I'd consult you guys first...
Old 01-24-08, 11:10 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL yep me2, i got rash on my pass rear too You know... this is a good excuse to get some mooncakes
Old 01-24-08, 11:21 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can send the rim out for repair and it will cost 50$. send it direct and not thru the dealer. i suggest this route as its safe and you wont notice it. if you dont want to do that then i would say its time for summer rims and tires
Old 01-24-08, 11:23 AM
subliiime
Rookie

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
LOL yep me2, i got rash on my pass rear too You know... this is a good excuse to get some mooncakes
Ha..you're right, it is a good excuse. The thing is, I absolutely LOVE my x-pac wheels. I seriously haven't seen one other IS out there yet with these wheels. Also, I'm trying to go strictly OEM on my ride..
Old 01-24-08, 11:35 AM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

buy the new one....then send the damaged one off to get fixed. Wheels America can probably fix it for $100 including shipping. Just search "wheel repair" on google and you will get repair facilities near you. My wife curbed the right rear wheel on my Jeep SRT8...a new one was $1500...but I had it fixed for $120 w/ s/h.
Old 01-24-08, 11:35 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

get the new wheel @sewell, and just keep the other as a spare
Old 01-24-08, 11:38 AM
subliiime
Rookie

Originally Posted by RI-Lex
get the new wheel @sewell, and just keep the other as a spare
That is a damn good idea..!
Old 01-24-08, 02:06 PM
subliiime
Rookie

Thanks for the comments and recommendations. I just made the purchase at Sewell and it should arrive in 3-10 days. That was one expensive right turn I made last night..

Anyways, does anybody know why these X-Pac wheels are twice as expensive as the other IS wheels available? I mean..these X-Pac wheels are nice and all, but I thought the G-Spider wheels are just as nice, and maybe even nicer, but those are only like $250 to replace! Half as much as the X-Pac ones without the discount.

Kinda weird huh...?
Old 01-24-08, 04:59 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

haha. yeah i have xpackage as well and one had wheel had curb rash. i got it repaired for 25 bucks locally, i have aftermarket rims now though. waste of 25 =[
Old 01-24-08, 06:10 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_NIICE
haha. yeah i have xpackage as well and one had wheel had curb rash. i got it repaired for 25 bucks locally, i have aftermarket rims now though. waste of 25 =[
Just sell your old rims and it won't be a waste.
Old 01-24-08, 06:43 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I curb rash my rims all the time and then.....I rotate my tires and curb rash the other side too. lol
Old 01-24-08, 07:44 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get it refinished. I repaired my X Pac wheels for about 170 total.

Make sure you leave 2 wheels, a good one and a damaged one for them to match the finish.
Old 01-25-08, 09:26 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by subliiime
does anybody know why these X-Pac wheels are twice as expensive as the other IS wheels available?
Kinda weird huh...?
Not really. I believe it's a higher quality wheel, better finish, and produced in small volume. Lexus may also want to keep them more exclusive.

In any event, you made a good decision.
Old 01-25-08, 01:33 PM
subliiime
Rookie

Originally Posted by fantom
Not really. I believe it's a higher quality wheel, better finish, and produced in small volume. Lexus may also want to keep them more exclusive.

In any event, you made a good decision.
Well that's pretty interesting to know...

Thanks..!
Old 01-25-08, 01:47 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

just drive it with the rash and get new mooncakes later!

Quick Reply: Curb rash on my X-Package wheel last night..!