IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

new paint on trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 12:55 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres not much else i can really do when im driving and something hits my car or when some jerk scratches it or possibly in 2 years down the road something like this happens again. i just want to tell them that it doesnt matter anymore, walk away and forget about everything. but when the dealership is knowingly at fault and declare that they will do everything they can to correct the problem they created that started at a few paint chips to hairline scratches all over my trunk, bumper, and part of the back right panel from their buffing(cause they scrathced everything while fixing the paint chips). im willing to wait it out, until they fix it properly and most importantly to my standards.

in retrospect its going to be a bigger waste of time, but i think its better for my sanity knowing they cant push me around and just have a quick fix. besides i dont mind driving the loaner rx around and beating on it(joking).

one thing i have working in my favor maybe the fact that my family and extended family do purchase alot of lexus's from them. off the top of my head i know that there have been 5 lexus's purchases including mine within the last year.

what is even more ridiculous now they will be replacing the whole ac/cd unit with a new one from another is because there is no other way to replace it aside from that....

yayyyy not
Old 01-29-08, 01:10 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fluxx

what is even more ridiculous now they will be replacing the whole ac/cd unit with a new one from another is because there is no other way to replace it aside from that....

yayyyy not
Been there too. The temp button on the passenger side go stuck in the down position. the ordered a new switch and it still did the same the. They pull the center cluster from a 08.

guess they got tired of seeing my mug!
Old 01-31-08, 02:44 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

the conclusion!

finally i went into today and to pick up my car. behold the body shop work was poor affter there gurantee's that it wouldnt even be noticeable. so i went to the gm and brought him out to my car and showed it to him. after a few mins looking at it he tells me that he doesnt see much and that he wont do anything. i point out to him swirls on my trunk top cracks in the paint and inconsistancies here and there. i go on to tell him that the service manager the salesman and my good friend who are with me all see the same imperfections i do and i plead my case one last time. telling them that the car has been on the roads for 2weeks since its been in my posession. 1 full week in the garage cause i was out on a trip. 2 weeks driving and a full week at the dealership doing there junk.

he insist taht its not that big of a deal and says that no one will ever see the imperfections since they are in the crack and by the screw holes for the license plate. i siumply tell him that i would agree with him but its their fault this all happened.

finally he asks what i want to do and i tell him that i want a new trunk from a car off the lot. so he says it cant happend cause the other cars havent been title and after 15more mins of talking he agrees. but goodness gracious he was a jerk to me. so i went off on the lot and picked a car with a shiny new trunk!

moral of the story stand your ground!

Last edited by fluxx; 01-31-08 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 03:00 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Good for you fluxx!!! no if i can only get that center speaker to stop rattling!
Old 01-31-08, 03:47 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

the conclusion!

finally he asks what i want to do and i tell him that i want a new trunk from a car off the lot. so he says it cant happend cause the other cars havent been title and after 15more mins of talking he agrees. but goodness gracious he was a jerk to me. so i went off on the lot and picked a car with a shiny new trunk!

Hate to say it, but the manager should have stood his ground and offered you financial consideration -- or given you a new car and sold your old one with full disclosure. New cars on the lot should NEVER be cannibalized for parts. Some poor guy is going to buy a new car and get stuck with your repainted trunk. That just isn't fair to the buyer of that car -- he has just as much right as you did to expect a factory fresh vehicle.

Last edited by Bichon; 01-31-08 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-02-08, 06:19 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

plus theres VIN numbers on both trunks that wont match now.

That piece that holds the license plate is the only part that was scratched by the plate...its separate from the trunk, don't they sell that piece OEM painted already?
Old 02-02-08, 08:33 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon

Hate to say it, but the manager should have stood his ground and offered you financial consideration -- or given you a new car and sold your old one with full disclosure. New cars on the lot should NEVER be cannibalized for parts. Some poor guy is going to buy a new car and get stuck with your repainted trunk. That just isn't fair to the buyer of that car -- he has just as much right as you did to expect a factory fresh vehicle.
+1, AMEN ....... I find it quite sad here that posters will whine and complain about this sort of thing but when the dealer offers to use his new car stock for spare parts the offended party thinks it is a wonderful solution. And then the next poor soul buys a new car and gets a vehicle that has been compromised. Personally, I would never shop at a dealer that normally does that sort of thing (some are more willing to pull this sort of stunt than others). The OP admitted he couldn't see the defect any longer yet he was still insisting on busting the dealer's chops because he thought he was 'wronged'. Sometimes a business just can't afford some customers, I think this is one. And somehow the OP doesn't see anything wrong with him going on the lot and picking a new car with a 'shiny new trunk'. Sad.
Old 02-02-08, 09:43 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the conclusion!

This solution sucks. The dealer is screwing up a new car off the lot, and you will probably notice a difference in the paint unless they were painted on the same day as part of the same lot.

I'm betting the dealer told you this is going to happen, but will actually just buff out the swirls like he should have in the first place. It's unimagineable that the dealer would use a new Lexus as a parts car to settle this for you.

You should know that new paint is wetsanded, and then buffed. If the buffing isn't done properly, you end up with swirls. A good detailer can fix your problem easily. As for cracks in the paint behind the license plate, I would live with that before settling for a new trunk lid off a different car. You're devaluing your car, as well as the one off the lot.
Old 02-03-08, 08:43 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 15951
This solution sucks. The dealer is screwing up a new car off the lot, and you will probably notice a difference in the paint unless they were painted on the same day as part of the same lot.

I'm betting the dealer told you this is going to happen, but will actually just buff out the swirls like he should have in the first place. It's unimagineable that the dealer would use a new Lexus as a parts car to settle this for you.

You should know that new paint is wetsanded, and then buffed. If the buffing isn't done properly, you end up with swirls. A good detailer can fix your problem easily. As for cracks in the paint behind the license plate, I would live with that before settling for a new trunk lid off a different car. You're devaluing your car, as well as the one off the lot.

i made sure to make a mark on the previous trunk. so incase they tried to pull a fast one me. trust me if you would of seen all the flaws cracks in the paint, chips in various areas(not just behind the plate). you would of most likely flipped. aside from getting a brand new car this was the only alternative they were even semi ok with. i did notice the paint difference, as well as the service manager, the service guy, my gf, and good friend i brought along. when 5 out of 6 ppl see these imperfections with in feet of walking up to the car, then their is a problem.

im sure they are screwing up a car on the lot, but that was no longer my problem when the admit fault for the mess ups and screwing a brand new car... im only 99% happy with the fix. if it were up to me. i wish this problem would of never occured and my car was 100% original, but thjis was the closest fix possible and looks pretty darn perfect.

Last edited by fluxx; 02-03-08 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-03-08, 09:28 AM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt accept a brand new car with a repainted trunk either. Thats BULL! Repainting anything on a car makes your vehicle worth less......thats just a fact!
Old 02-03-08, 12:25 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottina08
I wouldnt accept a brand new car with a repainted trunk either. Thats BULL! Repainting anything on a car makes your vehicle worth less......thats just a fact!
The dealer didn't give him a new car with a repainted trunk. He was upset a few weeks after delivery when he discovered some minor scratches caused by the dealer installed license plate frame rubbing against the paint. If this had happened to me, I might have been a little annoyed, but I'd have been satisfied to pick out a nice looking Lexus frame from the parts department as compensation and used it with my permanent plates. Under no circumstances would I have asked or allowed the dealer to repaint the car for some minor scratches completely hidden under the plate frame.

Last edited by Bichon; 02-03-08 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 09:56 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

My car got the same marks from the dealer frame...guess what when the plate came in it covered the marks. Im not using any frames.
Old 02-04-08, 04:43 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

The solution is simple. The back of the trunk lid (the part that the license plate and emblems are attached to) is not the actual trunk lid at all, it's just a plastic garnish attached to the metal trunk lid. (see picture)

The good news is, it can be purchased from Lexus, already painted by the manufacturer in your body color. In your case, SGM, The part numbers are:

76801-53040-B0 for cars with backup camera (NAV)

76801-53030-B0 for cars without backup camera (no NAV)

Last edited by IS350jet; 12-08-08 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-04-08, 06:45 AM
CMF
Driver School Candidate

^^ Guess that shows how much the dealership knows about a car. Not sure why they would repaint a whole trunk lid just to fix scratches behind a plate. I'd think it would have been easier to paint and blend paint with so many curves in one area, but I'm not a painter either.

For the OP, regardless of what anyone says, if you're happy with the end result, so be it. Everyone goes through different lengths with different problems. I think it's good that you gave all the information as well to the story. Maybe that will prevent people from buying at that specific dealership if they practice removing and replacing parts with new vehicles.

IMO, now that your car is done to your standard, I'd inform Lexus as well of what happened and let them know the end result. Maybe they'll do something to track down the car so the unsuspecting buyer doesn't get a new/used car.
Old 02-04-08, 09:42 AM
cmdace18
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon

I disagree.

So you're saying that the OP should not get a new part off another car because he should be nice and allow a "future" lexus owner to have the factory fresh vehicle? Com'on. Seriously? Listen, some people might be able to live with a defect, or cracks or whatever, but when you go to buy a brand new car, especially a lexus, you want it to be perfect. You expect perfection. Isn't that in their marketing scheme? You work hard for your money, and want to enjoy what you purchase. If a manager offered a brand new piece off another car because of a problem, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Cannibalizing a car is not his problem - its the dealers problem. They'll handle it. They'll figure out what to do with that car. But the OP shouldnt have to worry about that "poor" guy and not suggest taking a part because he's looking out for the next guy. The dealership is to blame for the original mistake, and they will suffer the consequences - whether they pass off the car to the next buyer, or not, its not the OP's problem.

Quick Reply: new paint on trunk