IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

new paint on trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-08, 04:33 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new paint on trunk

so my car is less then a month old and they are already painting it.

you know when you purchase a new car and they put the dealership tag thing around the license plate? so i go to replace the temp tag with my license plate. as soon as i take of the dealership frame i see gouges all along the perimeter of the license plate frame. needless to say they are painting the trunk right now. does anyone think the paint will not match the oem or will i even notice?
Old 01-25-08, 08:17 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by fluxx
does anyone think the paint will not match the oem or will i even notice?
What color is your car? Some colors, especially three stage paints like Glacier Frost Mica, are much harder to match properly than others.
Old 01-25-08, 09:10 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with Bichon. The dealer tried to paint my bumper of my black sapphire. I was so unhappy and they got tired 5 times to get it right. The dealer finally replaced that bumper with a brand new bumper off a car at the dealership.

BTW they were buffing a scratch out and burned through the paint.

Good luck, keep complaining if you dont like it. Be sure that you look over it with a fine tooth comb. Look at the entire car too for overspray.
Old 01-25-08, 10:01 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Oh man, this isnt sounding to good. the color of my car is smoky granite mica..

im definately **** about my car. the day before i exchanged the temp tag for my new tag i noticed hair like scratches all over my displays. obviously from someone at the dearlership who didnt use the correct cloth to wipe down the ac controls and displays. it was the first time i went through the car to dust and what not.

i feel like all i do is complain. i mean the car is less then a month old, as soon as i had purchased it, the following day i left town for 2 weeks...

but if i really do notice a color difference i should persue it until i am completely satisfied?
Old 01-25-08, 10:07 PM
cmdace18
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, this isnt sounding to good. the color of my car is smoky granite mica..

im definately **** about my car. the day before i exchanged the temp tag for my new tag i noticed hair like scratches all over my displays. obviously from someone at the dearlership who didnt use the correct cloth to wipe down the ac controls and displays. it was the first time i went through the car to dust and what not.

i feel like all i do is complain. i mean the car is less then a month old, as soon as i had purchased it, the following day i left town for 2 weeks...

but if i really do notice a color difference i should persue it until i am completely satisfied?

which dealership in FL was it?
Old 01-25-08, 10:16 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cmdace18
which dealership in FL was it?
sarasota, fl

so far they have been very willing to help me, but tomm i will find out for sure!

im just curious if they are going to do anything about my displays or blame me for it. reguardless they apologized for the license frame and took the right steps to fixing it, i just dont believe this happened so soon. i figured i get a dent before i had to get my trunk repainted.

i also forgot to ask? im assuming if the paint is a really bad match i will notice right away. but what if i in a few days or weeks i notice a drastic difference, is that even possible?
Old 01-25-08, 10:31 PM
cmdace18
Driver

sarasota, fl

so far they have been very willing to help me, but tomm i will find out for sure!

im just curious if they are going to do anything about my displays or blame me for it. reguardless they apologized for the license frame and took the right steps to fixing it, i just dont believe this happened so soon. i figured i get a dent before i had to get my trunk repainted.

i also forgot to ask? im assuming if the paint is a really bad match i will notice right away. but what if i in a few days or weeks i notice a drastic difference, is that even possible?
they have taken the steps -- which is why lexus has some of the best service out of any in the industry

relax man .. they have the paint code, its done by lexus. you won't be able to tell. you're not giving the car to some chop shop who is guessing at the color codes, etc.

if the paint is a bit off, they'll redo it. i guarentee you won't be able to tell.
Old 01-27-08, 01:08 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

I had the same problem. the L plate frame was too tight and cause the paint to chip. the Stealership repainted it but its not a even match. Its only noticeble on a sunny bright day. I was a lil dissapointed. but ohh wells doesnt bother me too much. unless the sun shines bright
Old 01-27-08, 10:19 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

umm haha.. i live in Florida. it is pretty much sunny 11months of the year...
Old 01-28-08, 02:09 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

so i went to pick my car up today after the license plate area was refinished. and the car was worse off before i had dropped it off. my bumper, the top of my trunk and various areas around the car was scratched. so they proceeded to tell me that they would repaint buff etc. i said no. the car is less then 1 month old and has 1k miles on it. it doesnt need to get painted i paid for perfection not a paint job. 3hrs later and after talking to the service manger, my car salesman and the gm. i finally decided to let them try one more time. but they could not paint anything asided from the middle section which had already painted w/o my permision to fix the initial scratches that the license frame caused.

the damge they caused was. scratches to my bumper trunk top, spoiler and the right taillight. they buffed most of the scrathes out and only cause more damage to my car with hairline scratches all over the place. also the paint doesnt match my car. so they have one more chance to fix everything or idk what is going to happen. my salesman offered a plan b to replace my car with a new one. and at this point i just want a new car. cause nothing matches anymore and there are hairline scratches all over the place! argggggg

ps my tanabe exhaust arrived today and i cant even get it on!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by fluxx; 01-28-08 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-28-08, 04:08 PM
jerom332
Driver School Candidate

1 month old car make them replace it, that is crap!
Old 01-28-08, 09:55 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, you can jump up and down and demand a NEW car ...... but 99% of dealerships won't do it in a case like this. Work with the dealer to get the trunk repainted correctly. Lesson learned: Sometimes correcting a minor aesthetic problem can make the problem worse. That is why I do not let a dealer repaint the car unless it is absolutely necessary. There is too much chance of a **** up and color mismatch. You would have been better off getting a plain, high quality license frame and used it. Problem solved.

As for your gauges, go to your local motorcycle shop and get a can of Plexus for about $6.00. Spray it on the scratched area and wipe it off with a fresh, clean microfiber towel. That will solve your problem.

Your car, especially a dark color like GFM, will pick up swirl marks unless you maintain it yourself. Don't entrust it to a dealer to do your work for you.

Last edited by Evitzee; 01-28-08 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-29-08, 11:31 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
You would have been better off getting a plain, high quality license frame and used it. Problem solved.
you really would of been ok with missing paint with a brand new 08, 1k mile, less than 1 month old, 40k car? i didnt want them to paint it. but they told me that they would do they best they could to help me and their customer service is part of what i paid for, but i replied i paid for perfection and paint chipping cause of their frame isnt what i had in mind.
Old 01-29-08, 11:58 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

you really would of been ok with missing paint with a brand new 08, 1k mile, less than 1 month old, 40k car? i didnt want them to paint it. but they told me that they would do they best they could to help me and their customer service is part of what i paid for, but i replied i paid for perfection and paint chipping cause of their frame isnt what i had in mind.
As much as it sucks to have scratches in the paint, it's a fact of automotive life, unless your car is sheltered in the garage at all times and trailored any where you want to take it. I swear I find new scratches everytime I wash my car- you have to live with it.
Considering the situation you're in now, you were better off living with some small scratches behind the license plate.
It doesn't matter how much you paid for it, it's a car, the only time it could be called perfect is the second it rolled off the assembly line and it's all down hill from there.
Consider this; just under $72k out the door, get the car home and remove the gawdy chome "Scottsdale Porsche" license plate frame. Damn it, scratches! OH well, the plates cover it. 3 days later driving on the free way, a golf ball size rock takes a finger nail size chip out of the front bumper, F@&*!!!!! 2 months after that, some a#$hole parks his caddy against the front bumper and makes a dent. What are you going to do?
Old 01-29-08, 12:28 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

I personally they kept trying to get things right. They got most of it right but i have buff marks. I think i learned that I wont be buying a dark car anymore. I got the buffer marks off myself using Zainos products.

I have the same scratch on the license plate area as well. i decide not to have anything done. I just put some touch up paint over it. The my custom license frame hids all of it. I put some washers on it so that the new frame doesnt touch the trunk.

Take the new car if you still have the choice. Good luck to you!

Quick Reply: new paint on trunk