IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Considering moving to a Grand Cherokee SRT8...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08 | 10:21 AM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Recluse
I would do it. If I had the funds, I would have a CG SRT-8 right now.

I've been paying nearly $4.00/gallon for gas for longer than I can even recall, and I'm getting 13 MPG (all city) with the little 2.5 liter V-6 in my IS. I would GLADLY accept 2 MPG less for another 211hp + AWD.
It doesn't work quite like that. If your getting five or so less per gallon than the EPA estimate, you can take that off the estimate for the SRT under the same conditions. (EDIT) And take 2 more off 'cause your right foot would love the HP so much!

Last edited by jimmyjazz; 01-26-08 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-26-08 | 10:30 AM
Swisha
Pole Position

I've been paying nearly $4.00/gallon for gas for longer than I can even recall, and I'm getting 13 MPG (all city) with the little 2.5 liter V-6 in my IS. I would GLADLY accept 2 MPG less for another 211hp + AWD.

Also, having a reliable dealership with which you already have a working relationship is near priceless, IMHO.

I agree on checking out the SRT-8 forum....the best way to get the scoop is to ask people who have bought one.
You have your calculations all wrong man, you most likely get 7mpg from the way you drive with your IS.
Old 01-26-08 | 11:31 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Quite a jump of vehicle type I would say. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 01-26-08 | 11:41 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Swisha
You have your calculations all wrong man, you most likely get 7mpg from the way you drive with your IS.
Just to clarify, I don't drive like a maniac. I generally accelerate at about 1200-1500 RPM, and shift at 3000-4000 RPM. It's rare that I even see redline. But I do almost 100% city driving, which means my average speed is about 12 MPH, and third gear is the highest I ever get to use.

So, with that in mind, I think I'd get pretty decent mileage with the GC SRT-8, because I probably wouldn't be hammering the throttle all the time, nor would I even have the space to do so.

Also, I figure if I'm going to get crappy gas mileage, I might as well have something to justify it being so bad (like a 415hp V-8 + AWD).
Old 01-26-08 | 06:27 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
It's an insane truck and I have driven it myself many a time when someone shows up at my track with one, always a welcome competitor. However, you will get what you pay for there in the long term. I don't know a single Jeep owner here that has told me its a well-built vehicle and they seem to always have one issue here or there.

I would Lexus would build a performance SUV.
I agree with that to a point being the past owner of 4 Jeep products. My first one was pre-Chrysler and was tough as nails, my post-Chrysler ones (2 Grand Cherokees and a Liberty) have all had issues but I'm lucky enough to have a good dealer shop here that do a great job at getting them fixed. They really have a knack for getting issues resolved.

I don't know if I'd want to pay for a Lexus performance SUV hehe. Plus I wasn't too impressed with the loaner ones I've gotten to drive, I like having a more rugged style SUV.

As for the Subaru, I just went and did a quick check out, the turbo is 224hp which is still a little underpowered for me. Definitely looks nice though.
Old 01-26-08 | 06:36 PM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

its a Subaru too! yuck! The GC SRT is ***** to the wall performance.....nothing in the SUV world can top it for the price. I recommend Don at Champion Jeep in Illinois. he is a greta guy and will hand deliver the SRT and do whatever mods you would like. He is "championjeep" on cherokeesrt8.com All his Jeep SRt's sell for 500 under invoice....and he sells a ton of them. Tell him Scott in KY sent you.
Old 01-26-08 | 09:33 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Scottina08
its a Subaru too! yuck! The GC SRT is ***** to the wall performance.....nothing in the SUV world can top it for the price. I recommend Don at Champion Jeep in Illinois. he is a greta guy and will hand deliver the SRT and do whatever mods you would like. He is "championjeep" on cherokeesrt8.com All his Jeep SRt's sell for 500 under invoice....and he sells a ton of them. Tell him Scott in KY sent you.
Thanks Scott - I already contacted him via PM, but he's in California right now making deliveries.

I'd still prefer to buy it locally, so I'm going to have to see if I can get it at straight invoice else I'll be calling Don.

And I've been reading that forum for a bit now, the mods are insane - the guy working on the 9 second version, well thats just nuts.
Old 01-28-08 | 09:16 PM
gbusy1906
Driver School Candidate

New to this forum. I sold my Jeep SRT8 and purchased the IS350. My Jeep ran 13.00 @ 103 before header install:12.70 w/headers. Gas mileage was horrible. 9 to 11 mpg in the city and 13 to 15 mpg on the HWY. Nice truck but avg gas per month was 500.00 plus $$$$$; 200 miles to a tank($60 per tank). I get 300 miles to a tank w/IS but pay about 325 more for insurance semi ann. I like the Jeep for the room and entertainment syst. for the kids. No major problems with it. It is FAST!!!! I enjoyed it. Good luck
Old 01-28-08 | 11:25 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

A buddy of mine just got one last week, he loves it so far. You can PM him he's Lexis11 on this site.
Old 01-29-08 | 04:14 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CoasterG
I Have a long history with Jeeps
And you still like them?

J/K I say do whatever pleases you. Good luck!
Old 01-29-08 | 06:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

I have the feeling the gimmick of something like an SRT8 Jeep will wear off quickly.
Old 01-29-08 | 06:27 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Srt/8

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I have the feeling the gimmick of something like an SRT8 Jeep will wear off quickly.
Yea one of my co-workers has one of those. He'll whoop my *** on any given day. Mostly due to the fact that they're 4 wheel drive but I actually thought about getting one of those when I bought my Lex. It was either the 335, IS350 or the SRT/8 Jeep and the Jeep was the first one to be cut out of the loop due to the *****ty gas mileage.

If I was rich & famous like you guys, I'd buy one for a Sunday driver LOL jk
Old 01-29-08 | 06:39 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

SRT8 is quite a toy and looks great with the factory 5 spoke wheels. The only problems are fuel economy and Chrysler quality. Jeeps are notorious for sensor issues. I would keep the IS350, it is a much better vehicle.
Old 01-29-08 | 07:48 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

I'm probably going to wait for the 2009 models to hit to see what changes are made (if any).

They just did a minor revamp in 2008, and while it seems the 2008s have less issues than the 2006/2007 I'm better off waiting and seeing how the 2008s hold up.

Plus there are price advantages to buying at the end of the model year, especially if the 2009s aren't really too different.

Still going to de-mod the IS350 a bit, probably go back to close to stock soon. Exhaust is off within the next 2 weeks and I'll probably swap my rims back to stock soon too. Just keep my audio stuff until I'm ready to trade in the car.
Old 01-29-08 | 08:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Also, having a reliable dealership with which you already have a working relationship is near priceless, IMHO.

I agree on checking out the SRT-8 forum....the best way to get the scoop is to ask people who have bought one.
If you are getting 13 mpg on a car with EPA rating of 21 (or about that), don't bank on the fact you'd get 11 in the Jeep....

Quick Reply: Considering moving to a Grand Cherokee SRT8...