IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Considering moving to a Grand Cherokee SRT8...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-08, 05:21 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering moving to a Grand Cherokee SRT8...

Being a big guy I think my time with my IS350 is starting run short.

Took about 1 3/4 years but its just too small plus I'm missing the ability to haul stuff around when I want to so I decided to sacrifice gas mileage and go for a SRT8. Have a long history with Jeeps and it'll be fun to get a nice CAI, exhaust, etc for it as time goes on. And I still get to have a lot of fun with a fast car, uh, SUV. hehe.

Going to remove all my mods over the next few weeks so be on the lookout for the Borla Exhaust, JoeZ pipe and my 18" BBS RS-GT wheels to hit the For Sale area soon.
Old 01-25-08, 05:31 PM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

I want the JoeZ!
Old 01-25-08, 05:35 PM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

the power of the Jeep SRT8 is amazing...YOU will be Mesmerized! BUT....when the new wears off...you will see all the differences from your IS350. Mainly build quality, interior quality, cheap materials and panel fit. The overall quality of the vehicle is NOWHERE near the Lexus. Go to cherokeesrt8.com anmd do some research and ask questions...there are some really cool people there.
Old 01-25-08, 08:29 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Scottina08
the power of the Jeep SRT8 is amazing...YOU will be Mesmerized! BUT....when the new wears off...you will see all the differences from your IS350. Mainly build quality, interior quality, cheap materials and panel fit. The overall quality of the vehicle is NOWHERE near the Lexus. Go to cherokeesrt8.com anmd do some research and ask questions...there are some really cool people there.
Don't know about the power part, but I had a grand cherokee as a rental for a week on vacation. I was so turned off by the crappy interior, and if I'm not mistaken I think it cost more than my Sequoia limited was. Oh boy, the cheap materials and panel fit, I slammed the door a little too hard and the side molding popped off? Yeah, it does look kind of cool, but... yuck!
Old 01-25-08, 08:43 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Oil, $100 barrel. SRT8 mpg 11 city, 14 highway. I love horsepower but I think I'd go for a different Sport Utility.
Old 01-25-08, 08:54 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Buford. The SRT8 doesnt have cylinder deactivation like the regular hemi's. I drove a SRT8 300, loved the power. Then talked to my mechanic about the hemi's.

He told me to get the lifetime warranty because you will be replacing head gaskets and transmission! IMO get the regular hemi with the lifetime bumper to bumper.

The gas will kill you if your not driving on the highway. It is more like 8-10 city and 12 highway.
Old 01-25-08, 09:01 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

SRT models arent eligable for the lifetime warranty thing
Old 01-25-08, 10:11 PM
Swisha
Pole Position

nice truck but horrible mpg, plus the interior is kinda crappy..
Old 01-26-08, 04:29 AM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

the 08 SRT8 Jeeps have the cylinder deactivation...but yeah...like I said in the first post....terrible gas mileage.....terrible build quality. But what do you expect from one of the fastest trucks in the world 0-60. It would wipe the floor with a is350 0-60. Most guys are pulling 13.0-13.6 in the 1/4 mile with no mods.
Old 01-26-08, 05:54 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

The gas mileage is what makes me hesitate.

I drove one yesterday, the interior was fine, its not a Lexus but the one I saw had no fit issues. The center panel/stack is a bit blah but functional. Drives like a dream, smooth ride, took it out and 0-70 is no effort at all, handling was solid too - firmer than the IS.

The seat was a bit uncomfortable but it was right off of the truck (had 1 mile on the odometer).

I'd buy the 100k warranty in any event and it covers the vehicle head to toe. Plus I've had about 4 prior Jeeps which were serviced at this dealership and they are very good at eliminating issues (unlike my local Lexus dealer - sigh).
Old 01-26-08, 07:18 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

I would do it. If I had the funds, I would have a CG SRT-8 right now.

I've been paying nearly $4.00/gallon for gas for longer than I can even recall, and I'm getting 13 MPG (all city) with the little 2.5 liter V-6 in my IS. I would GLADLY accept 2 MPG less for another 211hp + AWD.

Also, having a reliable dealership with which you already have a working relationship is near priceless, IMHO.

I agree on checking out the SRT-8 forum....the best way to get the scoop is to ask people who have bought one.
Old 01-26-08, 07:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

It's an insane truck and I have driven it myself many a time when someone shows up at my track with one, always a welcome competitor. However, you will get what you pay for there in the long term. I don't know a single Jeep owner here that has told me its a well-built vehicle and they seem to always have one issue here or there.

I would Lexus would build a performance SUV.
Old 01-26-08, 08:36 AM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

the newly redesigned '09 Subaru Forester comes out in march. it actually looks decent inside and out this time around. it's awd and comes w/ an optional turbo model. i'd consider this over the srt8 simply cause of the much better mileage. i do think those jeeps are still badass though.

Last edited by Badman Forever; 01-26-08 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-26-08, 08:53 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

You should also consider buying a gas station with the car. I hate the interior, it looks so plain and boring.
Old 01-26-08, 10:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
the newly redesigned '09 Subaru Forester comes out in march. it actually looks decent inside and out this time around. it's awd and comes w/ an optional turbo model. i'd consider this over the srt8 simply cause of the much better mileage. i do think those jeeps are still badass though.
I'd agree there with you. That turbo model of theirs has always had tremendous upside, great value, power and quality. Good for modifications there and Subaru probably makes one of the two best AWD systems in the world along with Audi in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Considering moving to a Grand Cherokee SRT8...