Scottina08
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a manufacturing defect......
Old 01-26-08, 06:02 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

It could be a stress fracture from flexing, after all the visor is constantly flexing due to wind, body flex, etc. Which, of course, is standard and the piece should've been designed to withstand under normal (and above normal at that price) operating conditions.

I'm really disappointed that Lexon didn't step up to the plate especially for such a costly item. Carson should at least offer to repair it for free at the price you paid.
Old 01-26-08, 06:28 AM
magnetik
Pole Position

he's have to be flying pretty fast for it to crack due to wind. probably a few hundred miles and hour.
Old 01-26-08, 06:33 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still want that spoiler!
Old 01-26-08, 09:23 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CoasterG
It could be a stress fracture from flexing, after all the visor is constantly flexing due to wind, body flex, etc. Which, of course, is standard and the piece should've been designed to withstand under normal (and above normal at that price) operating conditions.

I'm really disappointed that Lexon didn't step up to the plate especially for such a costly item. Carson should at least offer to repair it for free at the price you paid.
Don't think flexing would have anything to do with it. That spoiler is stiff and once put on with the dbl sided tape it isn't going anywhere.

No problem with mine, but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Old 01-26-08, 10:30 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Excellent reference pix Evitzee. All you naysayers out there, look at these pix and tell me how probable is it for a rock or other foreign object to hit the leading edge of the spoiler with enough force to crack it yet not damage the roof or spoiler area surrounding the edge ??? I say Lexon is trying to hose me . . .
Old 01-26-08, 11:40 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
I say Lexon is trying to hose me . . .
Well, you paid $500 for a piece of fiberglass, so.....mission accomplished.

j/k
Old 01-26-08, 11:52 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by socalJD
^ Excellent reference pix Evitzee. All you naysayers out there, look at these pix and tell me how probable is it for a rock or other foreign object to hit the leading edge of the spoiler with enough force to crack it yet not damage the roof or spoiler area surrounding the edge ??? I say Lexon is trying to hose me . . .
You said yourself in a previous post it would have to have been a one in a million shot for a rock to hit the leading edge of the spoiler- it's not improbable for some small solid object to have bounced off of another car at a given angle and trajectory to have hit the spoiler in that very spot.
It's also possible that smoeone tried to swipe it from you by prying off it with a screwdriver.
I'm sorry, it really sucks that the piece got damaged, but it's complete bull****** trying to blame it on a manufacturing defect, drag a manufacture's name through the mud and whine about how they won't replace it for free-
bottom line is you don't want to cough up the cash to get it fixed, and your venting on an internet forum hoping enough people will side with you to solidify you position that you DESERVE a new part....
Old 01-26-08, 12:39 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Giggity
You said yourself in a previous post it would have to have been a one in a million shot for a rock to hit the leading edge of the spoiler- it's not improbable for some small solid object to have bounced off of another car at a given angle and trajectory to have hit the spoiler in that very spot.
H'mmm......this sounds like the 'magic bullet' theory from the JFK assassination.
Old 01-26-08, 02:28 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Lexon and no probs whatsoever, also I had mines installed with windshield adhesive! So no ones stealing my spoiler! LOL
Old 01-26-08, 03:12 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i got a lexon spoiler too. no problems here. But it could be possible that the fibers have lifted some how and created a crack.

I think it will be easier to get the spoiler repaired and repainted. Not too much of a big deal i'd say... but waste of time and of course, painting cost.
Old 01-26-08, 03:13 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

If the material is Fiberglass than its a very possible defect..

I owned a Mustang with a Fiberglass Saleen Wing and it developed a hairline crack right on the curved edge that grew over a period of a few months. It pretty much looked just like yours pictured in post 1..

Hopefully, Lexon will step up and cover it under warranty... $500 is no joke for that wing..

BTW - does this wing adhere to the glass area or painted area of our cars ???

Joe Z
Old 01-26-08, 04:14 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Sorry, but I am a "naysayer" on this one, and agree with Giggity. There are also chances of attempted thefts (ie. as mentioned before, prying using a screw driver). So does that have anything to do with Lexon? I don't think so. I've been having FRP pieces for my cars for a long time, and I've never seen an FRP piece develop any crack from being installed with 3M tape.
Old 01-26-08, 09:12 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
BTW - does this wing adhere to the glass area or painted area of our cars ???

Joe Z
The Lexon adheres to the glass only, no surface contact with other painted surfaces.
Old 01-26-08, 09:49 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

I had defects with parts before. I had mugen parts for my tsx. It cracked and i sent it to them they gave me new parts and repainted it. Hope all goes well for you. Every part manufactured will have some defects that will get into the batch. Maybe if lexon wont do anything for yah Carlson will.

Quick Reply: Beware: Lexon Roof Spoiler defect