IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Beware: Lexon Roof Spoiler defect

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 01:12 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
You said yourself in a previous post it would have to have been a one in a million shot for a rock to hit the leading edge of the spoiler- it's not improbable for some small solid object to have bounced off of another car at a given angle and trajectory to have hit the spoiler in that very spot.
It's also possible that smoeone tried to swipe it from you by prying off it with a screwdriver.
I'm sorry, it really sucks that the piece got damaged, but it's complete bull****** trying to blame it on a manufacturing defect, drag a manufacture's name through the mud and whine about how they won't replace it for free-
bottom line is you don't want to cough up the cash to get it fixed, and your venting on an internet forum hoping enough people will side with you to solidify you position that you DESERVE a new part....
Who pee'd on your cornflakes ? Wake up on the wrong side of the bed and kick your cat ? Re-read my 1st post, this thread was created to warn fellow CL'ers about my experience with a Vendor's part. I'm not whining, if Lexon chooses to ignore my plight, so be it, I won't post in every thread that mentions their name. I never said I wanted (or deserve) a free replacement, I'm a reasonable person, if they are willing to work something out with me then I'm all ears...
Old 01-27-08, 08:07 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now now boys play nice!
Old 01-28-08, 08:54 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Unless they can prove it was hit, for $500 they should replace it NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

Koz
Old 02-08-08, 03:13 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Update: I reached out to Lexon to settle this, asked them to meet me half way and sell me a replacement roof spoiler for half price (I'll eat the cost to paint). Its been over a week since I made them this offer, so far no response, zip, nada. At the very least they could acknowledge receiving the offer, if not counter or reject it. This is the final nail in the Lexon coffin for moi. . .
Old 02-08-08, 06:47 PM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by socalJD
Update: I reached out to Lexon to settle this, asked them to meet me half way and sell me a replacement roof spoiler for half price (I'll eat the cost to paint). Its been over a week since I made them this offer, so far no response, zip, nada. At the very least they could acknowledge receiving the offer, if not counter or reject it. This is the final nail in the Lexon coffin for moi. . .
I cant believe it , poor customer service . they should replace it for free .
Old 02-09-08, 09:11 AM
SUPRATRD
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD

I have contacted Lexon again on your behalf to see if we can resolve this issue with your roof spoiler, since we represent them in the USA and they are a very reputable brand in Japan I would want them to carry it over to the states. I hope we can make this a positive outcome.

I will contact you via PM with an update
Old 02-09-08, 12:05 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz
Unless they can prove it was hit, for $500 they should replace it NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

Koz
That's ridiculous.

Are you going to be able to prove that a rock did not hit it?
Old 02-09-08, 02:06 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cspec
That's ridiculous.

Are you going to be able to prove that a rock did not hit it?
Thank you, I was beginning to lose faith in the possession of common sense among fellow CL members.

It's like taking a melted gallon ice cream back to the store and demanding a new one because you forgot to put it the freezer.
Old 02-09-08, 02:20 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Giggity
Thank you, I was beginning to lose faith in the possession of common sense among fellow CL members.

It's like taking a melted gallon ice cream back to the store and demanding a new one because you forgot to put it the freezer.
It's not the possession, but the use that concerns me.
Old 02-09-08, 10:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts

Guys, I am sure if a rock did that (which it did not), "socalJD" wouldn't be on here discussing this..

The noise that would make would very loud ...

The fiberglass has cracked at its weakest point on the edge... This happened to me with a Saleen wing many years ago, in the same general area of the edge...

Its what we call a defect..

Originally Posted by SUPRATRD
I have contacted Lexon again on your behalf to see if we can resolve this issue with your roof spoiler, since we represent them in the USA and they are a very reputable brand in Japan I would want them to carry it over to the states. I hope we can make this a positive outcome.

I will contact you via PM with an update
^^^ Nice to see Steve trying to resolve this issue as well !!!
Old 02-10-08, 01:58 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

I use to work for a body kit company that made all the stuff in fiberglass.. if the crack/chip is happening at the seam (Two piece put together, instead of one solid piece) then it's a manufacturer's defect. If it's one solid piece, something else caused that, and Lexon shouldn't be held responsible.

Based on the pic, it's hard to tell if it's a "Seam" crack or what.... next wing, after it's painted... have it wrapped in some sort of clearbra before installing it around the edge to prevent this from happening again.
Old 02-10-08, 08:39 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawsX
I use to work for a body kit company that made all the stuff in fiberglass.. if the crack/chip is happening at the seam (Two piece put together, instead of one solid piece) then it's a manufacturer's defect. If it's one solid piece, something else caused that, and Lexon shouldn't be held responsible.

Based on the pic, it's hard to tell if it's a "Seam" crack or what.... next wing, after it's painted... have it wrapped in some sort of clearbra before installing it around the edge to prevent this from happening again.
If it is a 'seam' that is defective how would putting a clear bra on it help? That wouldn't stop it from splitting. It might help if a rock hit it, but then we are back to the same question: Is it a defect or did a rock hit it?
Old 02-10-08, 10:24 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Guys, I am sure if a rock did that (which it did not), "socalJD" wouldn't be on here discussing this..

The noise that would make would very loud ...

The fiberglass has cracked at its weakest point on the edge... This happened to me with a Saleen wing many years ago, in the same general area of the edge...

Its what we call a defect..

^^^ Nice to see Steve trying to resolve this issue as well !!!
With all due respect, are you implying that you are ruling out all possibilities and concluding that it is in fact a defect?

I'm sure, as you have provided quality products, that if customers start taking advantage (not implying that the OP is doing so), that you will eventually incur negative profits.

I'm not here to argue, but I think it's not fair to disregard the product that many of the members have here. I mean, there has got to be over at least a couple dozen members with this and has showed no problems. IMO reputation is an important thing, and this thread seems to disregard the fact that this may be an isolated case and may not be reflective of the product and/company as a whole.

But in the end, this is America, the customers are always right. I hope you get re-reimbursed or whatever. But it's so much easier to just get it taken to a paint shop and fixed.
Old 02-10-08, 01:58 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
If it is a 'seam' that is defective how would putting a clear bra on it help? That wouldn't stop it from splitting. It might help if a rock hit it, but then we are back to the same question: Is it a defect or did a rock hit it?
It would protect the seam from cracking.. it's as if you had two pieces of paper, and you put tape between them... it's much more secure now.
Old 03-31-08, 06:19 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Final Update: Lexon never responded to my offers, but Carson Toyota stepped up. Steve Ganz (Parts Manager) personally oversaw the repair of my roof spoiler and kept in constant communication with me thruout the process. Would I buy another Lexon product, meh - not sure, jury is still out on their 'less than stellar' customer service. As for L-Tuned Parts (Carson Toyota), I would highly recommend Steve and his staff for parts & JDM accessories and will definitely buy again from them in the very near future. IMHO, Carson Toyota not only provides excellent customer service, they will stand behind their products even when their suppliers won't. . .

Quick Reply: Beware: Lexon Roof Spoiler defect